Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2006, 06:45 PM

serve sushi? I know it may not be a big deal to others but this is our first cruise and I was told they served sushi and I am really looking forward to it.
Also, I've heard that it's not necessary to book excursions ahead of time because a lot of the time you can get the same deals for cheaper when you get there?
Old 10-20-2006, 02:03 AM

Hey Corky,

I am not sure if the Holiday has shushi. Have not been on that ship for 5 years. Most of the ships are pretty uniform in the menus they offer. But the newer and bigger ships have specialty outlets.

If you are talking about Carnival excursions, they are the same onboard as online. Is true you can catch a taxi and do things cheaper on your own often. But I would strongly reccomend alot of research if you are a new cruiser on an unfamiliar island.

I just noticed this is your first post, how rude and un-observent of me.

Welcome to Cruise-Chat

Search the Forums for your ship and ports, there is a wealth of information here from some pretty smart and nice folks

Welcome Aboard,
IslandCruz
Old 10-20-2006, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by corky:
serve sushi? I know it may not be a big deal to others but this is our first cruise and I was told they served sushi and I am really looking forward to it.
Also, I've heard that it's not necessary to book excursions ahead of time because a lot of the time you can get the same deals for cheaper when you get there?
Hello and welcome to Cruise-Chat, the thoughtful cruise forum!

There is no sushi bar on the Holiday. If memory serves, the Elation has (or had) one. There may be a sushi appetizer one night at dinner on the Holiday, but I forget.

For a new cruiser I recommend going with the ship's tours if you are going to ports that are new to you. They may cost a little more, but the peace of mind can be worth it for your first cruise. As IslandCruz notes, the ship's tours cost the same whether you buy them ahead of time or wait until you get on the ship. And they never cut the price of tours on the ship! There are no last minute specials or the like.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:16 AM

I also understand that the Holiay does not have a sushi bar. Sorry. Still a great ship, smaller than many, so more friendly
(in my opinion).

I am on the Holiday on 10/23. This is my fourth visit to Cozumel & third to Calica/Playa. Excursions are not necessary on Cozumel, have never done one. I have rented a car and seen most of the island. A taxi downtown or to a beach is far cheaper than an excursion. Shopping downtown is great, and can be quite fun.

I have taken the Carnival tour to Tulum and was great, but slightly overpriced. I returned to Tulum with my wife's parents, rented a car, hired a guide, and loved my own tour at about one-third the cost of the Carnival Package. But you have to have some adventure in your blood to drive off onto the Mexican road system.

Welcome to cruise-chat and have a great cruise.

2004 - Fascination
2005 - Ecstasy, Elation
2006 - Sensation, Holiday
2007 - Fantasy, Glory
2008 - Holiday, Sensation
2009 - Fantasy, Valor, Glory
Coming up:
2010 - Monarch OTS
Old 10-21-2006, 11:14 AM

I would agree with the other posts. I no longer book excurions through the cruise lines and i do it for half the costs. However there are some rules that you must know. If you are to go on your own research some good places to go before you set sail. Know where they are in port and howfar away from the ship they are. Stick to the more familar excursion points offered by the ship that way there will always be lots of people to help you if you get in a bind and can't get back to the ship (Locals will do what ever they can to get you back to the ship if you stick to the major tourist spots)Do your excurions in the morning and either shop or hit a beach that is close to the ship in the afternoon. Allow lots of time to get back to the ship incase somthing happens. I never go to places that are not tourist spots because i need the security knowing that i am not in the middle of know where. If there is a port that i have not reasearched i take the excurision flier located at the shore excurions desk off the ship with me and talk to some cab drivers on what is the best way to get you there. I have done that for the last 3 out of 5 cruises and i have never had a problem. However i must say that if you are unfamilar with cruiseing and or the culture in your port the added security is well worth the extra 25+ dollars.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:46 AM

I have never eaten sushi. But I got a mouthful of something that seemed like it last year.

Please C-C Gods don't let Mr.O read this

They said was smoked salmon, and was "cured". Had the texture of raw fish to me. Other people had a funny look when they ate it too.

Where I come from little pieces of raw fish are called bait

Closed Thread