Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005, 05:23 AM

I too am very prone to motion sickness. I can't even ride a roller coaster. I can't spin around too fast. I went on a small sail boat for twelve days with my inlaws. We sailed Boston Harbor and around that area. I was so ill the first day. We docked at the first stop and my father in law picked up the pressure bands that go on your wrist. I put those on and within 30 minutes, I was feeling great. Didn't get sick at all the rest of the time. I even used them in the car on the trip home. Some say it's all in your head. I say, "Whatever works! All in my head, or all in the toilet? I pick All in my head." I will definately be wearing the bands and probably taking meds on board just in case. I don't drink, so if the meds make me a little goofy, I'll just hang out with the drunks and nobody will notice.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:27 AM

I don't like taking meds either so I use ginger tablets which you can buy at supermarkets and drug stores. I take one a half hour before sailing just in case, and then whenever I feel a queasy stomach. I know others who take a box of ginger cookies along. Our newspaper reported that ginger works better than dramamine. You just have to find what works best for you. Have a great time.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:43 PM
I have heard the higher you are on the ship the more you feel the mobement. I was on level 8 the last time and did not feel a thing. The next cruise I will be on level 10, I will let you know how that was.

I would think the outside cabin would not make you feel as closed in and help some.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 08-11-2005, 11:23 AM

I am NOT proned to sea sickness, never get car sick either but I took the "patch" with me and for my husband too. The rocking of the ship finally got to me on the second night while at the dining table. That constent rocking made me dizzy. We put our patches on for a precaution and never did get sick enough to throw up or anything but don't let anybody tell you that you won't feel the rocking of the ship..YOU DO>>> If you take prescription patch and don't use it I am sure the pharmacy will take it back and give you a refund. After all, it is in a sealed package. Be safe, not sorry.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:14 AM

I have some of the same problems as many others: I get a horrible headache in the car if I'm not driving, I get horribly seasick on small boats even in smooth seas. I have been on three cruises and had three different experiences.

1st cruise I felt somewhat queasy the first night, so I got the seasickness pills RCCL offered through the purser's desk. I don't know what they were, but they worked! I felt great the next day and didn't have any trouble for the rest of the week. I suspect that part of my discomfort was due to the stress of getting on the ship, rushing around, eating a ton of rich food, etc.

2nd cruise I felt a little off the first night during dinner. Didn't take any medication, but went to bed. Didn't have any trouble with it the rest of the trip. Again, the seas were somewhat choppy, but the stress of the first day doesn't help either.

3rd cruise came prepared with the patch. Put them on before we got on the ship. Felt great until about day 2 when my pupils were so dialated that I couldn't read and I had a raging headache from all the light streaming into my poor eyes. I decided the cure was worse than the sickness and took it off. We did have a rough day later in the week, but I only had problems if I looked out the windows and watched the water rush by.

We are all set for a cruise next year and I have decided to get the patch, just in case, but take some antihistimines (my mother's favorite for warding off seasickness), Dramamine, and whatever else I can get my hands on. You know if you are prepared you won't need it!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Maybe I'm a little strange... I kind of liked a small amount of motion at night, the one night I could feel anything I seemed to sleep better.

Of course I leave the balcony door open so I can hear the ocean.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 08-20-2005, 09:13 AM

A friend of mine gets very, very seasick; he always gets a prescription for the Patch.

Pointer #1: The directions say something like "replace with fresh patch every 36 hours". For him, that is SO true---like flipping a light switch---if he didn't make the switch, he is suddenly seasick.

Pointer #2: A small lady at our dinner table--she said she weighs 105 pounds---told us she depends on the Patch, but she suffered many side effects until it occurred to her to cut the Patch in half! She's been a happy sailor ever since.

Hope this helps someone!

Closed Thread

Tags
bad, bottom, carnival, cruise, elation, front, liberty, long, motion, movement, ocean, sea, sense, sick, sickness