Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2005, 01:41 PM

We are going on the Elation in April 2006. I'm really concerned about sea sickness. I do get car sick if riding in the back seat of a car for too long. I've heard the medications have side effects that concern me. I've recently read about bracelets that people are wearing and wondering if you are familar with them. If not, what medication do you best recommend??
Old 08-02-2005, 02:07 PM

I don't think there are serious side effects with the patchs and there were A LOT Of people who used them on our last cruise.My doctor gave them to me for our family but we never had to use them. My husband (and even our kids) took Bodine and did not have any side effects with that.

I don't think you are going to feel like you might think you would. Unless there is bad weather(and even then) the ship isn't "usually" rocking bad.
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 08-02-2005, 02:43 PM

rest assured.noone suffers more from motion sickness than I ,last yr being our 1st cruise I had all bases covered.ie.the patch dramamine,bonine,ginger the wrist band,every herbal form.I was fine for 7 days with the patch,I even ventured out on the deck in the middle of a huge rain,i will again be equally stocked my my next trip(sept 23 05)-have a blast
Old 08-02-2005, 04:48 PM

I get carsick riding in the back of a car. I get carsick on a bus. I can't even really ride in the front passenger side of a car. But on a ship I do not, no matter how bad the weather is. Keep in mind that you can always go outside and get fresh air. Half the battle in the car is the claustrophobia. You can't base potential seasickness on your car experiences- they are apples and oranges.

I will say that after my last cruise in April the floor was pitching and heaving for a week. One night I almost fell out of bed. Literally- I could feel the motion of the ocean, 24/7, for a solid week after I got home. I think it has to do with one's inner ear but that doesn't make sense!

If anyone knows what that was, let me know. I was starting to get worried, but then I woke up one day and it was gone.

Lynnie- it never made me sick, though. Just think about the fact that you can get up, walk around, look at the water (a good way to orient yourself) and it is just a different motion than anything else.

I have heard that good old dramamine is still the best.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:57 PM
The last cruise I took was very smooth, I did not feel any motion at all. These ships have stabelisers that seem to work very well. However they will only work when the ship is moving.

Carlalena1, After my first cruise I did feel the floor moving a bit after I got home. That lasted about two days. There was only one time on that cruise where I could feel anything and that was for a pretty short time.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 08-02-2005, 10:15 PM

I read somewhere that the best place to be if you get seasick is in the middle of the ship, in an outside room, preferably with a balcony. I can't remember where I read this and can't vouch for it.

I take Bonine as a precaution. It doesn't make me sleepy.

I too feel the movement for about a week after a cruise. The weird thing is that on our last couple of cruises I've barely felt the movement. It was easy to forget I was on a ship. Yet when I got home, I felt the same sense of movement I felt after a cruise with rough seas.

There's a thread about this on this site but I can't remember where. They came to the conclusion that working out helped them adjust. I felt good just reading it because I thought I was the only one.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:00 AM

Good morning from Germany,

every cruise I have one night or day with seasickness. I prefer the medicine you can get for free at the guest-relations-desk.

When its rough sea, I prefer the middel of the ship, on the Jewel and the Brilliance thats the place with the Solarium and I spend some time in the jacuzzi.

But donīt take the medicine too late. Some people have the sideeffect from getting tired. I have the problem, that a laugh about some things in public (men with a bad wig or something like that) and thats sometimes really embarrassing for my husband).

Feeling the movement after the cruise has to do with the inner ear. And even when you see a documentary on tv about a cruise, your memory can bring back these movements.

Marita (just coming back from an early fall-day in august, walking with my dog).

Old 08-03-2005, 09:45 AM

My hubby has horrible car sickness..most of the time the only time he is ok is when he is driving. I also have a son that gets queasy when he reads in the car. Our first night we went through a storm and it was a little rough (enough that they took the dancers off stage for safety reasons) and NONE of us were even queasy.(probably had something to do with the fact that we came heavily armed with $60.00 worth of sea sickness meds which we never used...thankfully)

My husband asked our TA about the best place on the ship for less movement and we were told middle- bottom deck- inside room..slightly forward.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09
Old 08-03-2005, 01:22 PM

Hey Guys,

I was one of the ones who posted about the dizziness and exercise. About 3 months before we left for our cruise I contracted a virus that attacked my brain stem and made me REALLY dizzy and nauseated. (Vestibular Neuritis) I went to my ENT(ear, nose throat doctor) and he almost did not let me cruise. He put me on a high dose of steroids for three weeks and then gave me a list of exercises to do to help.
It was funny while everyone else was falling from rough seas I felt JUST FINE because I had been falling for 3 months and it was like it stablized me.
I did have really bad dizziness for about 2 weeks after our cruise but I started doing the list of exercises again and they soon subsided. My doctor said that fast eye movements and head movements from side to side will also help. It does have to do with the inner ear and the little particles inside that move out to stablize you on the ship and then they are not back in place for a while after you return home I believe. (at least that is kind of how the doctor described it)
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 08-03-2005, 05:30 PM

WOW! Isn't that amazing!

Closed Thread

Tags
bad, bottom, carnival, cruise, elation, front, liberty, long, motion, movement, ocean, sea, sense, sick, sickness