Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2006, 04:58 AM

Ok, my mom, who has never been anywhere in her LIFE, seems to be ready to go, yet I am NOT! lol! I have a couple of questions for anyone who knows:

Can cell phones be used on the Ecstasy? I know Carnival is in the process of having this available on all it's ships.

Do i need to lock our luggage? We are driving. I have seen all kinds of locks, large straps that go around a suitcase, etc. and I'm not sure if i need anything like that.

If i think of any more questions i will post them later. Thanks for everyone's help, and I am really looking forward to this trip, even though i am a TAD nervous getting ready for it!

Sheri

Caribbean Islands Guide

Grand Lido Resorts: All Inclusive

Caribbean Hotel Reviews

Past cruises-

Ecstasy-October 2006
Splendour of the Seas- February 2007

Old 10-26-2006, 06:07 AM

Wow SheriNtexas!! It IS almost time for you to leave!! I'll probably be panicking when I'm down to 4 days! No...I'already am! Can't wait to hear about your cruise, because we leave on the Esctasy on Nov. 27...and you can give me all the details! I've been shopping!! Too much! I think I'll end up eating my words.."I'm not over packing this time"!! hahaha

I personally don't know about the cell phones on the Ecstasy. I asked this question a while back, and was told that some of the ships had some service, but the charges would be really high. Well, if it is that high, I may just use the ship phone to "check in"! Then maybe buy a phone card to use in Cozumel etc. I guess the best way to find out for sure is to call Carnival and ask.

As far as the locks on your suitcase. I think it a good idea, not only to keep it closed, but from what I've read on this site, security is less likely to open it, if it is locked. Also, you don't know who has access to it after you check it in to the cruise line. Don't leave any valuables in it. Many have suggested a plastic tie wrap also to keep it closed. But if you use these, remember they have to be cut off and you'll need scissors or a knife to do so.

Another suggestion about your luggage, is to tie a colored ribbon on each of your suitcases or bags. This will distinguish them from everyone else's..when you pick them up after the cruise. Whether you have black, or red or whatever color of luggage, there will be others that looks, from a distance, just like yours and will save you time.

Hope these things help you alittle! Have a GREAT cruise, take a lot of pictures and relax!!!

If you learn any info on the phone situation...please post it! I have Verizon service...so they probably have Cingular! ha!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:11 AM

Locks- don't bother. If any of the luggage handlers wanted into your suitcase they could use the universal suitcase key. So you are not going to prevent much that way. As Annies pointed out DO NOT put any valuables into your checked luggage. We take one or two carry ons for any camera's, jewlery and travel docs (passports etc) so that we don't have to worry about the checked luggage. They are not going to steal your clothes. In those same carry on's pack a swimsuit and a change of clothes for the first dinner since your luggage may not get to your room until late AND you may want to change for dinner or hit the pool if it doesn't come early.

Cell phones- No, you can not use them on the Ecstasy yet. not sure why you would want to. You can use them while in port in Galveston and for a little ways out into the gulf. But that's it. You can use them again in port in Cozumel and Progresso, but beware the international roaming costs (you may want to call your cell service provider and see what the charges would be.)
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-26-2006, 12:34 PM

Sheri, wife and I used bright red bandanas...they really stood out from the rest of the luggage and no one else used red bandanas. We saved them for our next trip as well, even to use when flying. Have a blast!

PS. you can go to www.galvestonwebcams.com and see the dock where the Ecstacy is, even watch her go out and come back in. Live web cam!
Have fun!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:36 PM

oops! should have been www.galveston.com/webcams

sorry!
Old 10-26-2006, 01:01 PM

That's cool!

Hey, Rodney...it would be a dirty trick if everyone of us started using red bandanas now...just like yours! HA! Just kidding!! I would nnneeevvveerrr do that....
Old 10-26-2006, 02:18 PM

yes, definetely use something to be able to quickly spot your luggage. Last cruise we realized that we should have done this because most of our luggage was black. There is a LOT of black luggage that looks very similar.

We saw someone that used bath gel scrubbies. They tied one to each bag handle. You can get them in bright colors and they make double use becaus eyou can use them in the showers with the shower gel the cruise supplies. I thought that was a great idea... but now everyone will do it..
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Banned

We used the very tacky (but effective) bright yellow electrical tape on our handles. Mainly for the airport...it just makes it easier to spot as it whirls around that carnival ride!!
Old 10-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Banned

Sorry, I got side tracked.

Quick tips for first time cruiser...
make a packing list
1.documents
2.funpass
3.passports (or proper birth certificate)
3a. photo id like a drivers license
4. $50 in 1 dollar bills for tipping
5. small extension cord (only one outlet in cabin)
6. Lysol spray to disinfect room and handle "unexpected" smells (not necessarily the fault of the cruiseship..if you get my drift!)
7. Soda & water in a carry one. (I have an extra pilot bag that I use to roll it on) It is legal..we have taken 2 12 pk and water!!

Also remember that room service is included (although I do tip $2) and if you like expresso or cappicino you can get it for FREE in the formal dining room at lunch and dinner. You will have to pay extra on the Promenade.

Order as many of the appetizers as you want (and that goes for entrees as well) No one wants to be wasteful but don't hesitate to pick and choose as you please!!

I use the doorhangers every morning to have my continental breakfast delivered at the appointed time. Be sure to mark everything you need. If you want bagels, you have to also mark cream cheese if you want that too...it is not automatic. Coffee and bagels have always arrived warm.

Don't be afraid to go into the Spa area. The sauna and showers are free as well as the gym equipment. Basically the only thing that costs extra in the spa is anything that requires a human to help you do it. Manicure, massages, aerobics etc. If you have any doubts, please do not hesitate to ask. I would rather you ask and them tell you it is free and you enjoy it then not ask and miss out!!

If you are into karaoke, take your own cdgs if you have them. Their selection can be limited. The karaoke hosts are very careful with your cdgs!!

See and do it all...you can sleep when you get home.

That's a start.....oh yea have a wonderful cruise!!
Old 10-26-2006, 06:38 PM

LHP,
Thanks for these great tips! Cruising in January and can't wait!!! I will definately add your suggestions to my to-do list.(I'm a big planner) Good to know they allow you to take Lysol on the cruise. I was thinking of taking Febreeze Anti-microbial, maybe I've seen one to many Dateline specials with hotel rooms!!!!

Closed Thread