Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 09:58 AM

I'm going to book my 1st cruise for January 2009 and was wondering which cruise book is the best to buy to get me started?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Do you mean a book about cruises? The holy grail of cruise books is the Berlitz "Complete Guide To Cruising and Cruise Ships" which is written by renowned ship expert Douglas Ward. It is updated every year. Look for the 2008 edition.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:52 AM

Yes Dave I do mean about cruises, Sorry if I wasn't to clear. Thanks for the Info
Old 02-01-2008, 11:58 AM

Dave is being modest. Forget about books. Between Dave and Neil and Penny and the rest of the gang here, they can answer ANY question you might wanna know!! Books are nice...but people who have been there and live the life know it better.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Steve,

I appreciate your kind words. We do have a great group here - both members and staffers - who have an impressive amount of knowledge.

Maybe we ought to write our own book!
Old 02-01-2008, 01:03 PM

No 2 ways about it...I learn more HERE and on the ships than anything you can read. To read someone's review of a ship...and criticize it for bad weather or nothing to do in a port of call...none of which was the cruise line's fault...is kinda useless. By the way...did real good on the cruise we're planning...my family of 4 for right about $1000 for 4 days on Century. Thought it was a great deal.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Congratulations on the booking, Steve!

CB42, another book I recommend to first-time cruisers is Cruise Savvy by John Maxtone-Graham. This is in addition to the Douglas Ward book Dave mentioned above.

And, welcome to cruise-chat.com!
Old 02-03-2008, 06:43 AM

I agree! A book is nice, but I learned more about cruising and being prepared for all the "details" here on cruise-chat. As a first time cruiser, cruise-chat had me walking on our ship feeling like we knew what was up and didn't bumble around like "newbies". Thanks to all you gurus here!
Old 02-04-2008, 06:32 AM

Thank you from one of the newest "gurus" on the site. I have to second the previous posts. I am on the lower echelon of intelligence around here, but I can honestly tell you that this is the best cruise information resource site on the entire web. Whether it's a question about a specific ship or a specific port, you can bet that one of us has been there and we would consider it an honor to share our experiences with you or with anyone. Books are nice and the one recommended to you is very helpful, but, I encourage you to use the combined knowledge of thousands of experienced cruisers to your benefit. Furthermore, after your cruise, we urge you to give us a review of your travels. Even with one cruise under your belt, the information that you provide might be just what another new cruiser is looking for. Happy sailing and welcome to our family.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:01 PM

Thank you drlivingston for your kind words. I think I learn each cruise I go on. I may not have numerous cruises under my belt, but sure have been cruising for a long time. It sure has changed from the 70s, some good, some not so good. But, the one thing that has remained constant is the service, it has always been amazing. Congratulations on your "guru" rating!

Closed Thread

Tags
john, maxtonegraham