Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 09:06 AM

if you are worried about seasickness, go to the dr and get those wonderful little transderm patches. better safe then seasick.
you are in for a true treat. you will have a great time
Old 05-09-2008, 10:12 AM

The Riviera Deck will have the least-noticeable motion of any deck, but don't put too much thought into letting the chances of getting seasick ruin your vacation. If you want to take the dramamine, they will give it to you at the pursers deck or ask your cabin steward. just take it BEFORE you feel any indication of seasickness and you'll be fine!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:15 PM

Hubby and my first cruise was on the Celebration. Formal night the ship was ROCKING like crazy. You couldn't walk down the hallways without running into walls. It was actually fun. I fully expected to be tossing cookies but it wasn't bad at all. This time around we are midship Cat 6A, Riviera. We're on the Conquest but I'm thinking that since we booked during the best of hurricane season, perhaps we should look into those patches. If you have never been seasick before that's no guarantee you won't ever be, is it?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:28 AM

Hi Ianna 15.
We have cruised several times on paradise which is also a sister ship. We always chose a cabin on Riviera deck as it is the most stable. We enjoyed every cruise and would certainly use that deck again.
Have a great time!
Old 05-22-2008, 07:39 AM

We were just on the River deck a little over a month ago. I think it will be smooth sailing for you there. My friend was really concerned about getting dizzy/sick, and there was some motion on the ship, but this area, I would say is the best to be loated in.

brneyes
Old 06-06-2008, 09:37 AM

I'm back!! I don't know if there was something abnormal happening on the Fantasy or what - but I could feel the motion CONSTANTLY. At night, in the Universe Lounge, at dinner... we were always rocking back and forth or bouncing up and down (the engines, maybe?) Winding through the river was a fun experience. We tipped so far that the ketchup bottles slid of the tables. I wore the patch for the first 3 days, took it off, got extremely sick, and put another patch on immediately and was fine after that. I don't get car sick or motion sick on rollercoaster rides, but this constant rocking motion was too much for me to handle!
Old 06-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
the engines, maybe
No, that doesn't cause a ship to rock. It was more likely sea swells or you are more susceptible to sea sickness. The fact that you got ill after removing the patch would indicate this. Sea sickness can be quite different than getting ill in a car or on a carnival ride. The roller coaster only lasts a couple minutes or so, and the car allows you to be more aware of the surroundings and keep your bearings. Lots of people won't initially be sea sick, but after hours of the motion it hits them.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:40 AM

You are right - because I am fine on smaller boats (the catamaran that took us snorkeling was very rocky but I was fine, even though I wasn't wearing the patch at that time) and I think it is because I can keep my bearings in a smaller boat. When you are on a cruise ship, it feels like you are inside, on land, and it seems unnatural to feel the motion. It was unlike anything I have ever experienced! Overall I had a good time. The one night of sickness was absolutely awful, but thankfully it didn't last and I was able to enjoy the rest of the trip.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:14 PM

As with any type of motion (or emotion for that matter), the more that you concentrate on it, the more that you will experience it. I have found that copious amounts of rum or vodka tend to alleviate most of the unwanted side effects of ocean motion. The swaying motion of a ship is a negative experience. The swaying effect brought on by inebriation is (usually) negative. The rules of math dictate that if you multiply two negatives the end result is positive. Happy sailing!!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:26 PM

HAHA! Your first comment about focusing on it, yes, I agree with. I tried to watch a movie and focus on my breathing, but to no avail. Only medication worked for me! And to your second point, I found that alcohol made it worse. But that didn't stop me from enjoying my beverages.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, cruises, deck, fantasy, level, motion, review, reviews, rivera, riviera, room, sensation, ship, sickness, water