Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 AM

Hello everyone!

I have enjoyed reading this board. I am going on my first cruise with my husband in 18 days! I am very excited. My parents and younger brother are also cruising with us and my parents have never cruised before either. This is their 35th wedding anniversary gift to each other. We are departing from New Orleans (we live here) on May 26th on the Carnival Fantasy. We are all staying on the Riviera deck and I am a bit worried about it being the lowest deck on the ship. Is it better or worse to be lower on the ship if you are prone to being sea-sick? Also, we have Ocean view rooms. Are we going to see the horizon, or are we below the water line? I hope that is not a dumb question.

Thanks so much!
Old 05-08-2008, 09:50 AM

No question is a dumb question ... you will not be below the water line. We have cruised on the Ecstacy which is a sister ship to Fantasy and it is not bad at all. We were a little forward of mid-ship and had no problems.

By the way - welcome to crusing and to the "board".
Old 05-08-2008, 09:54 AM

Hi lanna15, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Congratulations on your upcoming cruise and your parent's anniversary. You will be able to see from the Riviera deck, you have decks below you for the engines, the machinery, the crew, etc., so you aren't on the very bottom of the ship. If your cabins are mid-ship, I doubt you'll feel much motion. The ships are so large now, that the motion isn't too severe unless there is a storm. I've sailed out of New Orleans before and it was rough for a little way out of the river, but calmed down quickly. There are plenty of over the counter remedies, the best natural ones are ginger and green apples. Best wishes for a wonderful cruise and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 05-08-2008, 09:59 AM

Hi lanna15, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

Congrats on your cruise! The Riviera deck is not the lowest deck on the ship. It is just the lowest passenger deck, and is well above the water line by several decks. I personally think the middle to lower decks (midship) have less movement.

Welcome aboard,

Dwayne
Old 05-08-2008, 10:01 AM

Everyone on this forum is so friendly. I enjoy being able to listen to all the questions and and answers that are posted.
I have learned many interesting facts on cruising. Thanks!!

Read and post cruise reviews

Old 05-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Is it better or worse to be lower on the ship if you are prone to being sea-sick?
Although motion isn't really noticeable anywhere on the ship, if you were in truly bad seas the lower the deck the better.

Look at this photo of the Ecstasy. The bottom row of windows is the Riviera Deck. Note it is a good 15 feet or so above the water line.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:13 AM

I cruised many times in my college years and the Riviera deck was my home on many ships. A category 6A room on the Riviera is still a category 6A room. Same view... just a tad lower. It is a perfect deck for first time cruisers who are unsure about ship turbulence. You will do fine and find yourselves as addicted to the cruise experience as the rest of us. Have fun!!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:38 AM

Yea it's above waterline, but how cool would that be if there was a window below waterline? Now that's a cabin I would pay extra for.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:51 AM

Ricks, I've been in seas that have made it seem like the Riviera deck was below the water line
Old 05-08-2008, 08:00 PM

That is funny Penny!

I was on the Celebration once and it actually looked like the front of the ship took a dip pretty close, if not beyond. This was in rough seas after a hurricane had recently passed though. Normally it is smooth sailing.

Ricks, The underwater view is an interesting concept.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, cruises, deck, fantasy, level, motion, review, reviews, rivera, riviera, room, sensation, ship, sickness, water