Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 06:30 AM

I've read that in order to return to the ship from shore excursions, you need to show your Sign & Sail card and a government-issued picture ID. What about kids? They don't have a driver's license . . .

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Administrator

This is true anytime you leave and return, not just from a tour. Kids don't need a photo ID - I believe the cutoff is anyone 16 or older needs a photo ID. Actually the photo ID is normally shown to port security and not the ship's security.

When you embark on your cruise they will take your photo at a security station and match it to your cruise card via a card reader. Whenever you exit or return from the ship you scan your card and your photo appears at the security station so they can verify it is you. This also ensures they know who is aboard, who is ashore, and who missed the ship's departure.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:25 AM

Thanks, Dave!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:57 AM

Yes, the Government Issued ID requirement is for 16 and older.

I always have my ID and Sail & Sign in my hand to show them. It get's on my nerves when people wait in line and then start looking for them when they get to the checkpoint.

Dwayne
Old 09-11-2008, 11:16 AM

Dwayne, I know what you mean! It's like waiting for the bus. Have your money out and be ready; there's a woman who rides my bus who never has her money out. We all have to wait while she gets her wallet out, finds the correct change. Could have done that in the 10 minutes she waited in line for it to come. Arrgh.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator

...or those who want to write a check at Wal-Mart and wait until the order is totaled before they pull the checkbook out - bonus bonk on the head to the ones who don't have a pen.

I guess understanding protocols are more difficult for some. Let's see - when I left the ship I had to show them my card and put it in the machine. I wonder if I need to do the same thing when I return?

I remember when we stopped in Nassau in 2004. The CD told everyone to have photo ID with them when they left. The Cruise Compass had a note on the front page "please ensure you have a photo ID with you prior to leaving the ship". Crew members were constantly telling everyone "have your cruise card ready and also have a photo ID" as the line winded towards the gangway as we exited.

And so it was on my return to the ship, at the checkpoint set up by the Bahamian police, there was an idiot arguing with them because he failed to bring a photo ID with him and they wouldn't let him pass through.

Closed Thread