Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Destiny Sailing date: 27 Jan 08

The Ship: The Destiny is impressive. It seems no expense was spared when building this cruise liner. I was most impressed by the copper sheet walls around all the elevators. It is thick corrugated in a stylish pattern and covered in a clear coating. The effect is stunning especially when you consider the current price of copper exceed $3.00.lbs. Other indications of splendor are the real marble in the hallways, the real tile in the bathrooms, and the lion’s heads on the stair rails. It is truly a beautiful ship.
There is a down side. Lots of things didn’t work right or well. The steam room was a disappointment with weak steam and then it broke altogether. When fixed it was great but it broke again the next day. The hot tubs were not hot enough, the coffee machines did not all work, the ice cream machines kept breaking down. Our toilet didn’t flush reliably. Putri sent a plumber very quickly but the next day it was slow again. Push the flush button and then several minutes later it might flush. Sometimes it worked OK. My room key stopped working twice. Replaced quickly by the pursers, but I just wish it didn’t malfunction at all.

The Crew: I have never had such smooth embarkation and disembarkation. I arrived, at the advise of fellow cruise-chat members, early at 12:30, knowing that boarding was officially at 2:30. I knew the port and hanging around Old San Juan was better than hanging out at the hotel. When I arrived they were already boarding. Staterooms not available until 2:30. Luggage was taken, and we proceeded into the terminal. After a short wait where we were treated to tastes of local rum we were called to the agent desk, showed our Fun Pass and in minutes had our sign and sail cards and moved to another waiting room with more refreshments. In just a few minutes our number was called and we moved through security, had our photo taken and were hugging our daughter at the New York Deli Sandwich shop. The wait staff was excellent. In our party we had a glucose intolerant person and she was helped every night to know what she could eat. Her selections were still many and some selections were modified for her. Our Steward was Putri. She was very attentive to our needs. I took sick on the third day with a sinus infection and she made sure my bathroom was super clean every day and worked around me being in the room a lot. I always had a good greeting from her and an offer to help with anything. The ladies running the spa did not appear to sharp. I swapped my S&S card for a locker key to find stuff already in the locker, and then when I checked out they returned someone else’s card. They lost mine, perhaps gave it to someone else. They called the pursers and cancelled the folio number and I got yet another sail and sign card. But how hard is it to hold my card for 30 minutes.

The Shows: Being a cruise dad I of course loved the Dance Shows. They were not as spectacular as the Glory or Liberty as they lacked the pyrotechnics the others had but the dancers were exceptional, as good or better than any other ship. “Formidable” was a great display of all dances French, including a very sexy Can Can. There is a warning about skimpy costumes but they really were fine, and my daughter was on the stage. The second show was al about the great nightclubs of our times and the past. The Cotton Club, Tropicana, Club 54 and others ending with the CopaCabana. Very nice. I was disappointed by the magician, very ordinary. And the stand up comic I had seen before and he was OK, but still old material. I do not watch the after midnight shows so maybe that was better if you like that sort of thing.

The Ports: I can’t say much about the ports. Being sick I mostly stayed on the ship. But my wife and friends enjoyed themselves.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Welcome home, CruiseDad, and thank you for the review. I am so sorry to hear you were ill, yet so happy you got to spend time with your daughter.

We saw "Formidable" on Carnival Destiny in 2000, and my journal from that cruise indicates that it was among the best shows we had seen on a ship. Glad to learn they are still performing it.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Great review, thanks!
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 02-05-2008, 11:27 PM

Welcome back CruiseDad!

I am sorry to hear you got ill on the cruise.

Thanks for this great review.

Dwayne
Old 02-06-2008, 05:03 AM

Thanks for the review, hope your doing better.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by tompands:
Thanks for the review, hope your doing better.
Thank you all for the well wishes. The Doc says it's a sinus infection, it has not expanded and with heal quickly with antibiotics, Started the doses yesterday and should feel more energy by tomorrow. Maybe enough energy to book the next cruise What say, sound good?
Old 02-07-2008, 05:39 AM
sorry man
I hope you get better
Great review actually I had the same problem with the bathroom during my last trip and evan one day it stop working, is sad to know you did not have the oportunity to visit the ports but in the good side you had more time to spend with your daughter...
Old 02-07-2008, 08:45 AM

Welcome back CruiseDad, hope you're feeling well enough to book your next cruise, now. Thank you for a very honest review. I know you would have had a much better time had you not become ill, but it sounds like it still went very well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, you need to get cruising again so you can catch up with SonnyV's impressive cruise numbers

Closed Thread