Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 09:48 AM

We are about to book a Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Legend in December 2010. I keep reading reviews and it is starting to scare me - bad food, getting sick, bad weather. I just need a little reassurance that not everyone has a bad experience so I feel comfortable with committing to this vacation.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 AM

Hi Van Beach, welcome to Cruise-Chat! Please know that cruising would not be as popular as it is, if everyone got sick, ate bad food, and encountered bad weather.

Food is very subjective, but every ship I've been on has had pretty darn good food. There have been some ships that don't season to my taste, but the food hasn't been "bad". To me, bad food is something that is raw that shouldn't be or is rancid.

Getting sick, could mean, they were sea sick because they didn't take precautions or they may have gotten a norovirus, which can happen anywhere there are thousands of people who tend to ignore good hygeine. Carnival's ships have some of the highest ratings of all cruise lines. In fact, one just received 100%, something I doubt any hotel has ever received. The ships are immaculate.

Weather, there is nothing you can do about it. The captain will do their best to avoid any bad weather. We've had very few cruises that we've even encountered rain, let alone bad weather.

To me, a cruise is the best vacation there is. You NEVER have to worry about driving. You pack and unpack once. Your hotel moves with you. The service is amazing. The food, to me, is spectacular (especially the chocolate melting cake). And you get to visit different countries without having to worry about making your connections.

The western Caribbean is one of my favorite itineraries, next to the southern Caribbean. I think you will find more negative reviews because people would rather take time to gripe than they would take time to commend. I think it's part of the quirky human nature.

I can't wait to get on the Valor in 2 weeks, I'm chomping at the bit. I'll guarantee you I'll be eating great food, have an immaculate cabin, will be treated so well by the crew, and will visit 4 countries in 1 week. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate, but if not, who cares!

Best wishes!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:45 PM

Thanks Penny - I agree with you. We put the deposit down this afternoon and now I just have to wait until December to go! We picked that itinerary because it has places we would like to visit to check out and if we don't like cruising we at least got to see four different places all in one week. I do think a vacation is what a person makes of it and eating, drinking, relaxing in the sun will be so much better than sitting in the snow in December.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Hello Van Beach, I am pleased to say that the Legend was the best cruise I have been on so far.

I wanted to sail on one of the Spirit Class ships for a while, and I was not dissapointed. The ship
has a very nice layout unlike the rest of the ships in the fleet (Fantasy/Iriumph/Conquest) where the Galley and
the forward restaruant cuts the ship in half on one two decks.

Grand Cayman and Belize are both tender ports where the ship anchors out at sea and you need to take tender boats
in.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:37 PM
23 cruises and I can't wait for more....There isn't a BAD cruise...some are just better than others.....A cruise is what you make of it...some of the food you won't like but most of it is better than you will get at home:-)...
Have a smashing good time, and I'm sure you will be booking another cruise as soon as this one is over....

Bob E
Old 04-27-2010, 10:36 AM

Heck Bob, I'm booking my next one before my cruise ends Do you think I'm addicted

Van Beach, I'm so excited to hear you're going to become one of us. Even if it's not for you, which I highly doubt, you're right 4 countries in 1 week is something you rarely get to do.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:37 PM

Welcome to the wide world of cruiseing Van Beach!

In just over three weeks the family and I will be outbound on cruise #10 (Platinum whoo-hoo!). After 10 years in the NAVY with 3 1/2 years of that "haze grey and underway" I'd have never guessed that I would enjoy cruising.

I took my wife on the Conquest (the Ledgend's older sister) for our 10th anniversary. Oddly enough I was planning our second cruise together during our first formal night.

The thing about cruising is that you can make it as action-packed or as laid-back as you want. All you've got to do is get the family onto the boat, after that, you can relax and let the crew take care of everything. No questions about "Where are we going to eat? Where are we going to stay? etc... If you want a quiet corner of the deck to enjoy a nap, look around and you can find one. If you want to run around with a bunch of college kids out on break doing belly flops in the pool, well, there's that too.

As stated above, cruising is what you make it. There are plenty of people who can be critical of something trivial (I call them professional vacationers) who want everything to be perfect. Anyone over the age of, let's say... 5 years old, should understand that NOTHING is perfect. But I really have to hold some laughter in when someone complains about the chocolate melting cake being "runny" in the middle.
Dude, if you've got questions... ASK! You are among friends here.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-29-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I do think a vacation is what a person makes of it and eating, drinking, relaxing in the sun will be so much better than sitting in the snow in December.
It seems you live in a snowy place. If at all possible, please plan to arrive in Florida the day before your cruise. You may need some wiggle room when it comes to flight delays, cancellations, etc.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
We are about to book a Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Legend in December 2010. I keep reading reviews and it is starting to scare me - bad food, getting sick, bad weather. I just need a little reassurance that not everyone has a bad experience so I feel comfortable with committing to this vacation.
Welcome Aboard Van Beach!

While no one can guarantee what the weather will be like, I can tell you that I had a wonderful cruise on the beautiful Carnival Legend. We did get some rain on the morning of the Roatan port day. That is almost to be expected there most times of the year. The food was great (as always) and the service excellent. I wouldn't worry so much about the negative reviews, it is what you make it as Marty noted. Have a positive attitude about it and you'll be more than fine, you'll probably get addicted. I sure did after my first cruise, and that was way before they had super nice ships like the Legend. Don't worry, after this cruise you'll be thinking "I'm home" when stepping onboard.

I also want to expand on something else that Marty noted - ask all the questions you want. We are not like some other forums that give rude replies. You are among helpful and knowledgeable friends here.

Dwayne

ps. The chocolate melting cake is supposed to be "runny" in the middle. YUM!
Old 05-15-2010, 10:57 AM

We too are going to be first time cruisers and have read a ton of bad reviews. It hasn't bothered us in the least because like someone said before, people are much more inclined to report the bad things quicker than they are the good things. Another thing, if you pay 1,000 for a complete vacation to several other countries, you can't expect to be treated like royalty (though Ive heard they honestly treat you that way). And last, there are some people who just aren't happy with anything. They just can't be pleased. Even though we have read the bad reviews, we have taken them with a grain of salt and have no reservations about making reservations.

Closed Thread

Tags
2003, bad, boat, carnival, cruiser, good, legend, negative, pepole, reviews