Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 06:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Walrus67:
Hi all, frequent lurker first time poster here.

I booked a cruise on the Destiny for May 25. My concern is this:

I booked through the web site, and wasn't aware of a military discount. I've tried twice to get the discount applied, but got a different response each time. The first guy told me "That discount is only available on suites" and the second one said "I can only give that discount to people I book personally."

Perhaps I'm a cynic, but I think I'm getting a runaround by people who don't want to bother with me since there is no commission involved.

Can anyone shed a little light on the situation for me? I'm 106 days out now.

Thanks,

Dave

I sailed the Destiny at cat 8C on a military discount. I use the Carnival TA to bbok cruises and they needed DD214 and photo ID. It is news to me that there are limited numbers of staterooms at this rate but it makes some sence. Our TA said we would not need to resend the forms for our next cruise. I'm not sure how you would book book a Military Discount on the web but this thread does point out the value of a good TA. Good Luck.

My daughter should still be dancing in May, Look for her on stage in Formidable, front and center in the white costume spinning under the purple light. Say hi from CruiseDad. She will know the connection. Have a great sail.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:44 PM

Hi CruiseDad,

I hope you are feeling better. I just want to make sure we don't confuse anyone about the Carnival PVPs being Travel Agents. They are Carnival Employees.

I wish they would just give a standard Military Discount off of the regular rates, regardless of the sailing.

Dwayne
Old 02-10-2008, 01:25 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll just chock this down to my inexperience. I'll know better next time.

This cruise is to celebrate my 20th anniversary. It also is technically my honeymoon, since we never got to go on one and haven't had a vacation during our marriage where we didn't have our kids in tow.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it. Would you believe that the only excursions I've booked so far were separate ones? I want to do the canopy challenge in Dominica, and my wife has no interest. I booked her the Hot Springs. I promised her we'll stay together for the rest. But if she wants a shopping excursion, all bets are off

I also booked the night before at the Caribe Hilton. Has anyone stayed there?

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 02-10-2008, 07:15 PM

Aww Dave, you could at least take her on a self guided shopping tour on St. Thomas and buy her something shiney for the anniversary.

I stayed at the Caribe Hilton in 2000. They were doing renovations then. I thought it was really nice. They have a swim up bar and a private beach area. They claim it is where the Pina Colada was invented. And they do make a really good one.

Next time you will know about the Military Discounts, as you said. I would recommend talking with a Travel Agent that specializes in cruises. They will have access to them. That way you can take advantage of the perk you have so rightfully earned.

Dwayne
Old 02-10-2008, 10:12 PM

Walrus67 another thing to keep in mind is that sometimes you can get a friend a cabin also. We did this for my Aunt last February.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:23 AM

Book out far enough and almost every time there will be a military price. CCL is the Best cruise deal going

Cruise #28 on Carnival Cruise line
Old 02-11-2008, 02:52 PM

Dwayne:

lol, she can go shopping on St. Thomas if she wants. I'm going to Sapphire Beach.

I heard about the Pina Colada, but neither my wife nor I drink. I can if I have to though... but I'm diabetic.

gdjoslin: I'm already planning the next trip, and will probably book a cabin for my parents with the discount as well!

Dutchman: This time I booked with only three months notice. I'm having a hard enough time waiting that... no way I'd make it until December. I'll book farther ahead in the future.

My schedule only allows me to go in May, August, and December. I'm a full-time student again! After retiring from the Air Force, I went to work for the state... couldn't stand it. I'm enjoying my retirement now, and I'm only 40

Free Cruise Clocks
Old 02-11-2008, 07:54 PM

Dave,

The last time I went to Sapphire (can't remember the year) MTV was having a Spring Break Chili contest. I wasn't one of the spring breakers, it was fun though. I actually saw a speed boat make a pizza delivery. I usually head to Red Hook and catch the ferry over to St. John now.

I meant to tell you something interesting about the Caribe. There was a pier/dock type structure on the waterfront. At night they had spot lights pointing in the water, and for some reason it attracted sharks. It was an interesting site.

My sister was in the Air Force for 12 years, and she is 42 now. Congrats on your early in life retirement, and good luck with your studies.

I am going to send feedback to Carnival about making the Military Discounts more public. They don't list them on the site with the other specials. You truly have to ask if they are available. When they have the (book multiple cabins) Military Special they do mass email it out to people that are registered on the site. I do give them credit for offering the discounts.

Dwayne
Old 02-12-2008, 05:06 AM

this post might get deleted but I am going to try. We always book thru Carnival. That being said if you go to some websites they list the military rate on the site. I check the military rate and then go to carnival and book it. If carnival quotes a higher price I always tell them the price and they match it. Hope this helps and doesnt get me booted....

Edited for content violating TOS.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:48 AM

We don't go around looking to "boot" people, we only follow the rules.

You could also do the same cost comparison and then contact your Travel Agent. I wish people would support their local Travel Agents more, which supports your local economy. It is no cheaper booking direct with the cruise line, and you will get unbiased information from a Travel Agent. You won't get that with the cruise line direct.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, destiny, military