Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Military Discount on Destiny (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/34041-military-discount-destiny.html)

Walrus67 02-09-2008 02:01 PM

Hi all, frequent lurker first time poster here.

I booked a cruise on the Destiny for May 25. My concern is this:

I booked through the web site, and wasn't aware of a military discount. I've tried twice to get the discount applied, but got a different response each time. The first guy told me "That discount is only available on suites" and the second one said "I can only give that discount to people I book personally."

Perhaps I'm a cynic, but I think I'm getting a runaround by people who don't want to bother with me since there is no commission involved.

Can anyone shed a little light on the situation for me? I'm 106 days out now.

Thanks,

Dave

Walrus67 02-09-2008 02:01 PM

Hi all, frequent lurker first time poster here.

I booked a cruise on the Destiny for May 25. My concern is this:

I booked through the web site, and wasn't aware of a military discount. I've tried twice to get the discount applied, but got a different response each time. The first guy told me "That discount is only available on suites" and the second one said "I can only give that discount to people I book personally."

Perhaps I'm a cynic, but I think I'm getting a runaround by people who don't want to bother with me since there is no commission involved.

Can anyone shed a little light on the situation for me? I'm 106 days out now.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave 02-09-2008 02:48 PM

Hi Dave,

It does sound like a runaround. Believe it or not, if you call Carnival to book a cruise that person does get a commission. You do know that commissions don't affect the price you pay for the cruise - whether it is done online or by phone with Carnival, or with an agent?

Perhaps you could cancel the booking and then do it again with the veterans discount? There can be rules about canceling and then rebooking on the same cruise, so I am just speculating. I think Carnival has to have a copy of your DD214 on hand first. We have many Carnival experts here who should be along soon to give you the straight scoop.

macmom111 02-09-2008 02:56 PM

We always book military but discount around. This time we are booked on the legend for sept 08. we went with the cheapest room this time is a 1A with a guarantee. We have always done the oceanview, but this is an inside cabin. has anyone ever stayed in these rooms. I understand they have bunk beds, Which is fine because its my sister and me. Also any info on the legend would be great. Counting down the days.

Walrus67 02-09-2008 03:33 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Hi Dave,

It does sound like a runaround. Believe it or not, if you call Carnival to book a cruise that person does get a commission. You do know that commissions don't affect the price you pay for the cruise - whether it is done online or by phone with Carnival, or with an agent?

Perhaps you could cancel the booking and then do it again with the veterans discount? There can be rules about canceling and then rebooking on the same cruise, so I am just speculating. I think Carnival has to have a copy of your DD214 on hand first. We have many Carnival experts here who should be along soon to give you the straight scoop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

Thanks for the response. I figured they worked on commission. What I meant was that since they aren't getting a commission from me, they are loathe to help. I considered rebooking, but since I'd have to wait for the deposit to be credited to my card, I might be out of luck when I went to rebook. I guess I'll wait and see what the pros think.

-Dave

gdjoslin 02-09-2008 04:24 PM

When you book with a Military rate you do need your DD214. They give you 48 hours to fax it in. I have never booked direct with them, we always use our TA. Do you have the name, and email address of the person who took your booking? Also there are only so many cabins the book at this rate, and it can change. They may not have any left at a Military discount rate.
That is one reason I prefer to use a TA. Ours asked us all the important question from the start, even on our first booking.

Dwayne 02-09-2008 04:55 PM

Hi Dave (Walrus67)

Unfortunetly Military discounts are not available on all sailings and in all categories. I checked the sail date, and it is only showing it available for the category 11 suites. If it was available in your category I don't see why there would be any problem changing to it.

Dwayne

Dave 02-09-2008 05:17 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I checked the sail date, and it is only showing it available for the category 11 suites. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So part of the "runaround" is proven to be factual and the Carnival rep wasn't blowing smoke. Thanks, Dwayne! I knew you'd get involved with this thread.

tompands 02-09-2008 05:51 PM

I'm retired military and I always get a discount though Carnival. They keep my 214 on file ( I called and complained about having to send it in each time) and it's never a hassle when I book. I use the same guy at Carnival for all my booking and he's the best. He's ALWAYS on top of his game and really looks out for us. I'd give you his name and number, but Dave and the other C/C police might have a problem with that. We'll see what he says when he see's this.
What they are saying about limited bookings for military discounts is true. I've been through that one before. They only have so many rooms where the discount applies.
I wanted to book a suite on a past cruise and there was no M/D for a suite only for a oceanview, so needless to say, we booked the oceanview.
The discount is very nice and appreciated, but to use it, you need to do your homework and check to see if it applies to the cruise and room you want.
Anyways, welcome to C/C and have a blast on your cruise.

Dave 02-09-2008 06:12 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but Dave and the other C/C police might have a problem with that. We'll see what he says when he see's this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it is against our Terms Of Service to post that type of information in public. Please understand that if we allowed it this would soon become a bazaar for travel sellers and it would also upset our forum advertisers who have paid for the privilege.