Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Just a quick note on the this ship and ports of call.

The ship is FANTASTIC! WOW! Never really felt the boat move. The sensation of movement was very minimal.

Grand Caymen was great. If you don't schedule an excursion through Carnival (you'll find it cheaper elsewhere) the short trip to the beach is worth the $5 or $6.

Shopping is okay, not really any bargins unless you're in for a good bottle of rum.

Cozumel -- awsome. Deals are there if you wait until the afternoon and you can pick up some great deals. Don't make any offers and don't get sucked into everystore -- and don't get liquored up.

Belize -- totally third country. Once outside the wall of the port travel in a pack...safety in numbers. This port of call has a lot of traveling once you're off the boat...whichever way you want to go. Not all that attractive either.

Roatan -- nice, but worse of all for haggeling. Expect to pay to get to the beach. Taxi's START out $50 for two people to head to the closest beach. You can talk them down, but this port of call has the fastest turn around time. The money you settle on does not include the tip.

The driver's will gather just outside of the gate. Suggestion is to speak as loudly as possible (not yelling) and say you're willing to pay...(you fair price) and just wait...be prepared to walk away as well and watch what will happen...

If you're on or considering this cruise, you're booking the right one. This was my first cruise and now I'm looking at a second cruise.

The only drawback I see with Carnival is the MANDATORY tip assessed on each passanger. I think some of the staff worked harder than others and deserved more.

If you have a vehicle to park, check out the Double Tree. The park and ride fee is $40 a lot cheaper than the $84 self park or the $100 vallet. Also if you can use the self-de-embarkation.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:00 PM
WOW trutrojan sounds like you had a great time and also thanks for all the information on each of the islands. Once I took my spouse on there first cruise they couldnt wait to get back to the second. They are very addictive.

Caribbean Resort Reviews
Old 09-22-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
The only drawback I see with Carnival is the MANDATORY tip assessed on each passanger. I think some of the staff worked harder than others and deserved more.
I appreciate the comments and review. However, the above comment is not totally accurate. The tips can be adjusted at will. If some of the staff work harder in your opinion and go out of their way for you (they always do), tip them extra. That is what I do.

I didn't get off of the ship last year on Roatan because it was raining so hard. This year our group is pre-arranging for a taxi van to take us to Coco View. It is $10pp each way. I did hear some varying tales of taxi negotiations.

The Legend is truly an awesome ship. Just the right size and layout. The staff and crew were incredible last year. I'm glad you had a good time.

Dwayne
Old 09-23-2008, 04:59 AM

Quote:

The majority of cruise lines are doing the automatic gratuities, not just Carnival. As Island Cruz says they may be adjusted on Carnival. You certainly are welcome to give more to individuals.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:04 AM

Welcome back TruTrojan, glad to hear you had a good time. We warned you that cruising was addictive Thank you for taking time to write your review. We did Roatan on Costa this January. We booked a catamaran sail/snorkel through the ship so we didn't have to haggle about the taxi fare. The snorkeling was fantastic, the water was crystal clear. The ride to the catamaran gave us a brief view of the countryside and you could definitely tell it was a poor area. We drove down this dirt road with huge pot holes to get to the boat. When we reached the dock it was like we emerged from the jungle to a lush tropical resort. Truly unique. I'd love to go back to Roatan and spend some time roaming around. Get busy booking the next cruise, it helps ease the pain of the debarkation blues!
Old 10-13-2008, 06:41 PM

Hi.. we did go on the Legend, last August.. same island... yes, FANTASTIC VOYAGE!!! For us, at Tampa, la Quinta was great and not expensive. Don't know about leaving the car there though.. it's near the airport.
For us, was our 3e cruise... all the island were great.. but really enjoy Roatan and Belize. In Roatan, and don't recall that the taxi was that expensive... we did went out the gate to find one and... very kind driver which came back and pick us back at 3:00. Was a marvelous day... In Belisle, we took a excursion getting out of the ship... which is so strange leaving way back in the ocean... anyway, we went to Bannister Caye.. a private island.. in the middle of nowhere just great!!! We saw dolphin going to that island!

The only comment I can say about the LEGEND, our first cabin was on the riviera level, which I think was the discotheque just up our cabin. The first night was awful.. we complain and... the day after, had a cabin with a balcony... chocolates and wine to our table!! Wow... what a complementary service!!! Really impressed!!!

A great great cruise for us...

Next April.. The Splendor!!! :-)
Old 10-13-2008, 07:20 PM

we were on the legend in sept. an awesome ship, an awesome cruise experience.
i want to say something about the taxis in roatan. we rented on for 50 dollars for the day, the whole day not just a ride to the beach. the driver showed us his island as he knows it, took us to the beach and stay with us, kept our cameras, and camcorder safe while we were at the beach and was a wonderful tour guide.
I just dont want people to get scared off by the 50 bucks for a taxi. USE THE TAXI FOR THE DAY. you will not find a better tour guide then a local just doing his job. I would recommend people to do it this way, it was a wonderful safe unforgettable experience.
Roatan is a very poor island but very beautiful. I would recommend it highly.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:45 PM

Roatan Island

Well we weren't going to do anything at this port of call - but we decided at the last minute to go and see the monkeys and Parrots at the Wildlife Refuge. We had a great time interacting with the spider monkeys,they came right down out of the tree and sat on your shoulders - beware though to hide anything shiny - the like to steal a hat, cans of pop,sunscreen etc. Its very interesting to watch them actually open up a bottle of pop and drink it with others, some have a very strong arm and can throw an empty bottle quite a ways. I had a 10 month old monkey take my bottle of diet coke out of my pocket and scamper up the tree. The Parrots & Tucans were awesome to watch in their habits. The shopping area outside the terminal at Roatan provided some souviners but alot of wood products. It is a very lush country with breathtaking views of the hillsides.

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, carnival, carnvial, closest, cruise, deals, dock, donts, drink, legend, pay, reviews, roatan, selfexcursions, september