Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2006, 08:33 AM

A fellow chatter responded to a previous post of mine regarding Glory rooms. They mentioned they were in a 6E room. I booked through a travel agent and am going with a group of people. We were offered the option of 4A, 6A, 8A. I know that the first is inside view, the next ocean view, and the next a balcony. What do the letters mean. Was our Travel Agent making extra money by only offering us the A category? Could we have gotten a better Category?
Old 10-14-2006, 08:59 PM

Hi Rhonda,

The numbers refer to the type of cabin. The letters refer to the deck, with A being the lowest deck for that type of cabin.

If they did not give you a cabin number at time of booking means they were booking you on a gaurantee of that deck with a chance of getting a higher deck.

No, the Travel Agent was making less money, and trying to save you money by offering you the "A" decks within the cabin types.

The cabins are identical with few exceptions on the decks. But the prices are higher the higher the deck.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:27 AM

We booked directly with Carnival in a cabin: Guaranteed Category 5A. What can we expect?
Old 10-22-2006, 08:58 AM

I was so lucky in Sept. on the Destiny, I booked a cabin with ocean view, I believe it was a 1a but I was upgraded to 1n 8A. My sister also recieved the same upgrade. If you booked though Carnival call them back maybe once or twice a month and see if they can offer you anything better. I made a total of 3 calls in about a 3 month period and went from 1 to 8,, not bad,, Oh and most important, it was at no extra cost to me.
Good Luck,, have a safe and fun cruise.
David
Old 10-22-2006, 06:06 PM

A category 1A is not an ocean view room. It is the lowest category of an inside room and has one upper and one lower.

Sault B
A category 5a is an outside cabin, but instead of a picture window it has two portholes. Since you booked in a "guarantee" you possibly may get upgraded. An upgrade is never 100% guaranteed that you will get moved up.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:51 PM

I can vouch for that, not that Cruise Fanatic needs any vouching

Have sailed 2 times in 5A because is the same price as 4A inside. I always pick my cabin though because they are limited and a little quirky.

I have been told by Carnival in the past that an upgrade from 5A is a rare thing, so I do my assignment. Part of the reasoning for it being rare is the next up is 6A which is the starting selling point for standard outside cabins.

Rare does not mean it could not happen. I have had good luck with cabin E-10 on the Empress Deck for same price as Inside Riviera on the Fantasy Class ships. Good luck, and it can be a little bouncy up front but is worth it to me for the view and the deck at that price.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:58 PM

Hello,

Thank you for the information.

I just discovered we have room R206 (room with window). I am a little concerned about seasickness this low on the boat. Should I be?
Old 10-23-2006, 03:16 PM

One really can't say what you will experience. It all depends on your sensitivity to motion and whether the seas are rough or not. I personally have never experienced the bottom deck having any more motion than the higher decks.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:11 AM

I have never noticed any more movement on Riviera. Some people have said is less than the top decks. I notice it more if in the main front of the ship. There are several decks under Riviera, they are just not passenger decks. You are really more toward the middle deck than you think.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:26 AM

Thank you for all your responses. They are very helpful to a first time "cruizer"

Do you ask for an upgrade from Carnival or do they automatically assign it? If we have already been assigned a room, what are the chances of recieving an upgrade? Should we ask? Would they upgrade to a balcony?

Closed Thread

Tags
booking, carnival, categories, room