Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey! I am currently booked on my first cruise. I haven't made any excursion plans yet, and I was wanting to know ideas of what to do in Key West and Cozumel. Oh yeah this one is a dumb question but here goes.... I am suprising my Mom with this trip and I was reading that if your name is different on your birth certificate you have to bring a marriage license to show the name change. So, of course my Mother's name is different but is that true? Do I have to bring her marriage license?

Old 08-02-2007, 10:13 PM

Hi vacationbound, and Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

A Government issued photo ID.

A Birth Certificate.

If the last name is different, a Marriage license is required.

Try also searching the Ports Section for specific port info. and advice.

Welcome Aboard!

IslandCruz
Old 08-03-2007, 06:59 AM

Hi, vacationbound. I second IslandCruz in welcoming you to cruise chat!! I see what you mean. Your mother changed her name. Yes, she will have to bring her birth certificate (not a copy. It needs to have the official raised seal.) Do either of you have a current passport? If you guys are going to be doing any more vacations abroad, I highly advise you to go ahead and apply now for a passport. This will save you a lot of headaches and anxiety down the road. (as well as a lot of expedited processing fees if you wait until the last minute) Once you get all of these things, you will find booking a cruise to be effortless, with the exception of figuring out what shore excursions you want to participate in.
The last time that I was in Key West, I rented a moped and had a great time. I do not in any way endorse motor rentals of any variety: i.e. jetskis, motorcycles, scooters, cars, jeeps, mopeds, etc.etc. In some countries they can be very dangerous or simply unreliable. Since Key West is native soil, I felt that what could go wrong? That's where Murphy's Law reared it's ugly head. I, after leaving Margaritaville, got confused and found myself on A1A heading towards Miami on a moped doing less than 30mph. I was pulled over after a few miles and the officer was very understanding. He helped me lift the moped over the concrete barrier separating the lanes and I was back on my way. Rule 1, if you rent a moped... buy a map.
In Cozumel, I will tell you what I tell everyone. Go to Chankanaab National Marine Park. You will love it and it has something for everyone.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Thank you so much for your help. This was a last minute idea so I am having a little anxiety trying to get everything together. The headaches will be gone next year after we get our passports. I get lost easy so I don't know about the moped idea... haha.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacationbound:
Hey! I am currently booked on my first cruise. I haven't made any excursion plans yet, and I was wanting to know ideas of what to do in Key West and Cozumel. Oh yeah this one is a dumb question but here goes.... I am suprising my Mom with this trip and I was reading that if your name is different on your birth certificate you have to bring a marriage license to show the name change. So, of course my Mother's name is different but is that true? Do I have to bring her marriage license?
Vacation Bound, Cozumel was one of the destinations from my very first cruise and I had a blast. I have been hooked ever since. We went to "Passion Island" which is where the Corona commercials were filmed as of 2004. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

It is a very beautiful place. The public restrooms are very clean. The people are extremely nice. Also, free Corona all day if you book through Carnival. Whoo Hoo! Of course, as I mentioned, this was in 2004. I would suggest this if you want to just relax and enjoy beautiful scenery.

Read and post cruise reviews
Carnival Glory 2004
Carnival Liberty 2007
Carnival Inspiration 2008
Carnival Triumph 2008
Explorer of the Seas 2009
Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 AM

If your mother has a government issued photo ID such as a drivers license then the marriage certificate is not required. But she will need her birth certificate. I talked to a Carnival Rep and this was their reply. We will be sailing in Sept. and I wanted to clear that up. Also my daughter-in-law sailed in June and was not required to have a marriage license.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:51 AM

ummmm... You might want to 86 the free Corona all day idea. Carnival seems to be awful profit motivated these past few years. Unless someone knows of some secret place undisclosed to me.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:54 AM

I am also new to cruising. I will be going to the Bahamas with my husband, 2 children (8-9), my parents, and mother-in-law on November 17th. I was also a little worried about the ID/marriage license thing. My CCL vacation planner said there is no need to bring my marriage license, even though my birth certificate and driverís license have different names. But, I have been visiting a lot of cruise review sights (Yes, this is the best forum online!) and quite a few people say to bring the marriage license. A few people said they had trouble because of the different names. So, I think Iíll bring mine just to be safe. I figure its better to have and not need it then not have it and need it.
Holiday May 2009
Fantasy Feb. 2010

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-03-2007, 10:59 AM

Some people in security can be funny in different places. When you know that you aren't going to stay within the friendly confines of the U.S., the best rule of thumb is that it is better to have an extra document than to get there and be one short. Plan for worst case scenarios then you don't have to think about it. Chances are you won't need your life jacket either, but, isn't it nice to know it's there?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:13 PM

I concur with the good Dr.'s thinking. It is true that one can call CCL and get 2 different answers. Better safe than sorry, and no worries on your cruise. I was told if the names don't match, it is required.

I have recieved different answers before. For what Carnival says on their web site click here.

Happy Cruising

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, commercials, corona, cozumel, excursions, filmed, key, offered, reviews, shore, west