Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Yes, the vendor gauntlet one must endure when exiting Dunn's River Falls is a blight on this otherwise great place.

The only way I'd do a private tour in Ocho is if it were arranged by a friend of mine who lives there part of each year. He owns a couple condos and said he'd have a friend of his take us around next time we were in port. But beyond that - I'd stick with a ship's tour.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:00 PM

Crazy, Jamaica is not my favorite Island but as has been said, using common sense and staying in tourist areas can allow you time to venture out. I rode what we called the "chicken bus" all over and loved that part but we were cautious initially. Fun tourist waterfall there btw.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry in Miami:
Grand Cayman is a great place, I would say very safe.

I would stay on the ship in Jamaica. They will constantly be pestering you to buy "something" legal or not. Some of the them can get rather physical when you say no. The last cruise to Jamaica one of my table mates at dinner almost got in a fight because he would not buy something from one of the vendors at Dunn's River Falls.

Watch out when they want to "give" you some beads or something for free. NOTHING is free.
Jamacia is beautiful but I never felt comfortable. My wife and I were comped by Carnival for an excursion that included Dunn River Falls. To begin with we were treated with disdain because we had comp tickets. Then when we got to Dunn River Falls the guide insisted that our comp did not include the price for the falls and we either had to pay or not go in. When climbing the falls I could not help think that if we did not get to the bus on time they would have left us in a second. Trying to get to the bus on time we still had to run the gauntlet leaving the falls of all the pushy sellers. I was never so glad to get back to the ship. I would not return to Jamacia again and if it was part of my cruise I would stay on board.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:20 PM

WOW, Thanks for all the info.... We will definately book our excursion on the ship.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:27 PM

My husband is from Jamaica born and raised. You have to keep in mined this is a tourist part of the country everyone will try to sell you everything, but as another person has advised you-if you tell them your not interested and keep going you will be fine. I've had to do this at the beach in the states with time shares. The biggest thing is use common sense don't go anywhere you want when ever you want. The ports are not bad the outskirts can be as with anywhere. This is one of the most beautiful countries.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-06-2008, 03:59 PM

the only thing I want to do in Jamica is stay on the ship. no way would i get off the ship...Jamica is on the US travel warnings. they warn us for a reason...
Old 03-06-2008, 08:45 PM

woooooooowwwww... I am not JAMAICAN or from GRAND CAYMAN and I am offended by some of the remarks in this post.

If you are disturbed by how someplace is depicted on television - DON'T GO THERE

If you feel the need to take a gun with you somewhere (which would not be allowed anyway) - DON'T GO THERE

There are plenty of other places you can cruise to that are "safe". On the other hand, who says you have to get off of the ship? There are cruises to NOWHERE now. How much safer could that be?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tekdiva:
woooooooowwwww... I am not JAMAICAN or from GRAND CAYMAN and I am offended by some of the remarks in this post.

If you are disturbed by how someplace is depicted on television - DON'T GO THERE

Truly sorry if some of the remarks are found to be offensive. I have to point out though that the replies were from members who have been there. I will inform the other staff members of your concern regarding this thread.

Dwayne
Old 03-07-2008, 06:24 AM

I've been to Jamaica several times and never had a problem except for the panhandling. Just don't make eye contact with any of them. Staying on the ship is poor advice if you've never been there. I've read all the posts in this thread and don't know why anyone would be offended and I kind of like Jamaica.

Sonny
Old 03-07-2008, 06:55 AM

we stay on the ship because of safety reasons. I cruise with my sister. we are not spring chickens...we did get off once and were not comfortable. wont do it again. But I would never want to tell people go ahead and take an excursion when we didnt feel safe.

Closed Thread

Tags
bamboo, cayman, grand, information, jamaica, jammica, powered, raft, tourist, vbulletin