Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 AM

i was wondering about a jam, cruise and to grand camyon ?
jam, is like getting dropped of in the hood right ? i seen on tv travel channel it looks rough there? i would like to do the vine lines there. are you protected all the time there.? or could you get mugged there?
grand cay. is alot better there ? thanks trying to plan ahead about 2 years for 15th annv.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:33 AM

Jamaica is a beautiful but poor island. As long as you stay in a group and do not stray from the tourist areas, you should be fine. Just use the same common sense you would in any of the rough areas of the United States. Don't flaunt cash, jewels, cameras, etc. Grand Cayman is a very safe island and very easy to get around. It doesn't have the mountainous terrain that Jamaica has, but it is a very clean island. Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
Jamaica is a beautiful but poor island. As long as you stay in a group and do not stray from the tourist areas, you should be fine. Just use the same common sense you would in any of the rough areas of the United States. Don't flaunt cash, jewels, cameras, etc. Grand Cayman is a very safe island and very easy to get around. It doesn't have the mountainous terrain that Jamaica has, but it is a very clean island. Hope this helps.
in the U.S i would have my gun LOL.
thanks penny for the info
im about 40% and feeling better/ at times,
my wife just wants to go somewhere we havent already done.
we can leave from gal tx. on one i see , or drive or fly to fl. and leave?
or would the bahammas crusie be better , hows it over there ? as far as being a safer place? i forget all the stops they have..from fl. but alot like the eastern carr.whats the best stops so i can check around , planning a 7 day cruise at least
Old 11-06-2007, 01:57 PM

I personally enjoy the southern Caribbean. Since you're on Carnival, check into the itineraries out of San Juan, that way you might get to go to some of the more southern islands for a 7 day. The bahamas are nice, Freeport is a port that has been receiving a lot of bad reviews. I used to love Freeport, but haven't been there in years. Bermuda is another option. Grand Turk is a new port they've recently added. The snorkeling is really good there, nice beach right at the dock. If you're willing to try another line. Princess has some great 10 day itineraries, but Princess is not like Carnival at all. There are many wonderful ports in the Caribbean, some of my favorite are Tortola, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire, Grand Turk, St. Lucia, St. John, St. Vincent, and the list could go on. It largely depends on what you and your wife enjoy doing.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:16 PM

Everyone has different experiences, but we loved Montego Bay. It was our favorite port on Radiance Of The Seas. But then again I've never had a problem in places like South Central Los Angeles or Harlem. If I get approached on the street I just tell them "no thanks". If they continue talking I just pretend I don't hear them. The island is too beautiful to allow a few pushy peddlers ruin your enjoyment. I personally think it's not nearly as bad as its reputation.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Grand Cayman is a great place, I would say very safe.

I would stay on the ship in Jamaica. They will constantly be pestering you to buy "something" legal or not. Some of the them can get rather physical when you say no. The last cruise to Jamaica one of my table mates at dinner almost got in a fight because he would not buy something from one of the vendors at Dunn's River Falls.

Watch out when they want to "give" you some beads or something for free. NOTHING is free.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 11-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Don't get me wrong it is a beautiful place it is just unpleasant to be harassed all the time.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 11-30-2007, 10:25 PM

I just returned from Jamaica & Grand Cayman(IMAGINATION), we were with a tour group and had NO probs what-so-ever.

The tour/bus drvr said he would NOT take us to "the hood" b/c the people there could/would get a bit unfriendly if we refused to buy anything from them.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:06 AM

We are cruising in April 08 on the Liberty to Grand Caymon and Ochio Rios....has anyone done the submarine tour in Caymon and the Horseback riding in Jamica? Those are the tours we are considering. Any help would be appreciated
Old 01-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Banned

As long as you are on a ship tour in Jamaica, you should be fine.

Dunn's River Falls is the "place to see" there but it has become so commercial that all the hawkers you have to run through to get out would now ruin the experience for me.

The last ship tour we took was floating down "The Great River" (just a wide stream and not deep) on bamboo rafts for two. It was a slow, gentle float...we did not get wet. The guide used a pole to push us down the river and he was very informative. There was rum tasting at the end of the tour.

We usually can't do tours because we have a special needs son...but we took the chance on this one because we would not do Jamaica on our own (which is what we usually do in ports).

We are headed back this month and will indeed stay on the ship ~~only because we have seen all we want to see of Jamaica. If you have never been, do a ship tour!!

Closed Thread

Tags
bamboo, cayman, grand, information, jamaica, jammica, powered, raft, tourist, vbulletin