Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 03:45 PM

I am going on my first cruise with my 14 year old son in October, 2010. In searching the excursions, I see that ATV and other tours require you to be 18 or more, but list a childs and adult pricing. Can a 14 year old participate in these? What are the better excursions for a 1st timer with a teenager?
Old 04-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat!

What cruise ship and itinerary will you be taking? Also, are you looking at the details for the cruise line sponsored excursions or at private excursions?

It is quite exciting to go on your first cruise. The best part of cruising is that the exhilaration of that first cruise never really goes away, even when you are going on your 20th or 50th one!

You have come to the right place to get honest and expert advice. The members of cruise-chat give the honest, straight scoop.

What kind of activities do you want to do with your son? Snorkeling, etc.? Based on the ATV question I assume you are looking for more adventurous things.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:19 AM

Yes we will be looking for activities like the atv excursions, not so much shopping type things. I was looking at the excursions on the Carnival web site. But I don't want to book something that my son cannot do. It lists childs pricing on several activities, but small print shows minimum age is 18. So which is it?
Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 PM

For many of the motorized activities such as this one, you need to be 18 to be able to drive the vehicle. The child's price is probably as a passenger. For other excursions that give age limits, many times the age limit is imposed by the cruise line. If you were to book the same excursion on your own directly with a tour company, they can tell you if a younger person can or can not go on the tour. So if you are stuck wanting to do something and the cruise line says no due to age limits, try a web search on the tour and location and see if you can talk directly with a tour vendor about age restrictions. BUT be aware that a tour operator may have his profit from you factored as being more important than your child's safety.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 04-27-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Yes we will be looking for activities like the atv excursions, not so much shopping type things. I was looking at the excursions on the Carnival web site. But I don't want to book something that my son cannot do. It lists childs pricing on several activities, but small print shows minimum age is 18. So which is it?
Congrats on your first cruise, and welcome aboard!

The Carnival site is often screwy. To the best of my knowledge the minimum age is 16 for the one on Cozumel if accompanied by an adult. To book it without adult accompaniment, the age is 18. It could vary with different ports and tour operators though. Which port are you looking at for the ATV excursion?

I've had pretty good luck with getting questions answered about particular shore excursions by emailing the Shore Excursion Department.

The email is;

shoreexcursions@carnival.com

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
2008, age, america, book, carnival, cruise, dream, excursions, excurswion, limits, minimum, october, port, ports, reviews, south