Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 04:29 AM

I recently switched cruise lines all together for my up coming cruise and am hoping it was the right move. Me, my husband, my mother and step father were booked on NCL Sky Jan 11-15, out of Miami. I recently cancelled that cruise and switched to Carnival Pride Jan 10-17 out of Baltimore. My husband and mother hate to fly but would for the cruise, and I am not thrilled to fly in Jan out of NY myself. Going out of Baltimore we could drive down that day or even the day before my Uncle lives there. I also like the fact that we went from a 4 day to a 7 day cruise (more days of room service).

I did give up my aft balcony cabin on the Sky for an inside on the Pride, can't afford that cabin on the Pride cruise, that did hurt alittle to book that cabin after having a balcony.

I have been on 4 cruises already 2 Princess, 1 Celebrity, and 1 NCL, this is my mothers first and probably only cruise, so I am glad that it is longer for her. She just wants to enjoy the ship and is not concerned about the stops.

Since we have never been on Carnival I am wondering what to expect. I know all criuse lines have good and bad about them. I am wondering about the ship itself, I see it is a very narrow ship, and am wondering about movement on it because of that. Are the cabins any smaller on the Pride compared to the Sky?
How are the restaurants on the Pride?

I am looking forward to hearing from everyone who has been on the Pride and will give me the ins and outs of the ship.

Thanks,
Lisa
Old 10-20-2009, 07:06 AM

The standard room sizes on Carnival ships are 185 sq ft. Which is typically larger in comparison to NCL and RCCL ships. As far as the width of the ship, the Pride is 106 ft wide versus the SKy at 105.8 ft. The Pride is 88,500 GRT while the sky is 77,104 GRT. So you have nothing to be concerned about with respect to the ship, you are getting a larger ship with equivalent or better on board amenities. I'm not going to get into a discussion about which cruise line is better than the other. That is a personal preference thing, but I can say that if you are good on your first NCL cruise, then you will more than enjoy your first Carnival cruise.

The Pride is a Spirit class ship, and I love the Spirit class design. It is a very well thought out design. You will have a great time, so stop worrying about it.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Banned

We cruised the Pride when she sailed out of California.

I love the Spirit class ships. To me the "flow" is better.

And I think they have a prettier decor.

Glad you got a 7 day cruise.....I hope you have a wonderful time.

Btw, I will turn 55 in February...so Carnival is fine for us "older folks"...LOL
Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 AM

Thanks Jim, I didn't realize that the Carnival ship was bigger, that is good to know. I have wanted to try a Carnival cruise, I am just worried not having been on this line already and taking my mother on her very first cruise. I have done lots of research on the Sky I guess its time to get online and check out the Pride.

I am really looking forward to getting away in January and am sure we will all have a blast.

And LHP thanks I will check out the Spirit class ships, and at 55 I don't think I would consider that "older". I am just glad to hear from someone who has sailed on this ship.

Thanks for all the information
LisaJ
Old 10-20-2009, 12:16 PM

You will love the Carnival Pride! It is my favorite Carnival ship. The artwork is amazing. I like all the Spirit class ships because of the design of these vessels. Very easy navigation to walk from place to place, and plenty of deck space. My first impression of the Carnival Pride was..This doesn't look like a Carnival ship. The decor is so much nicer than the other ships I had been on.

Dwayne
Old 10-20-2009, 01:55 PM

I think you made a great decision, 4 days vs. 7. The more days on a ship, the better to me. You don't have to drive which is a huge benefit. I'd suggest driving down the day before so you can be rested and not stressed when boarding, plus you can visit your uncle. We've been on 5 Carnival cruises and have not been disappointed at all. We've sailed on Princess, Costa, Carnival, NCL, RCCL, and HAL. We're trying Celebrity in December. Each line has their own ambiance, Princess is my favorite, but I've had a great time on all of the ones we've sailed. I'd love to try even more, if only I could hit the lottery

I'm 56, and Carnival is great for me, too. Best wishes and I hope y'all have a fantastic time! Sorry you had to give up your balcony, but oh well, you'll still be cruising
Old 10-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Look at Anita Dunham-Potter's review of the Pride out of Baltimore here at her MSNBC column.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:18 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I am glad to hear that this ship will be easy to get around from place to place that makes me feel much better. And I am very glad that we have moved our days up on board from 4 to 7. I will miss the balcony room, but with the extra days I will be OK with that.

And thank you Dave for the link to the review I really am feeling much better about booking this cruise.

Thanks for all your help. I will be sure to write a review when I return. And I am now counting down the days to sail date.

LisaJ
Old 10-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
And thank you Dave for the link to the review I really am feeling much better about booking this cruise.
I met Anita this past summer on a travel press event. She is very nice and I trust her opinions and observations.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I met Anita this past summer on a travel press event. She is very nice and I trust her opinions and observations.
I've not had the chance to meet Anita. The review seems to be a fair and accurate assessment to me. I was slightly disappointed she didn't mention much about the ship's unique decor. Then again, the replica of David mention should give a hint that the Pride is one art and beauty inspired ship.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
baltimore, cruise, hopes, logos, pride, reviews