Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 03:39 AM
Hello All,

I couldnt wait to get online and post my review of the brand new carnival splendor. I must say that i was disappointed on this cruise on many levels.

Embarking:

This was the longest process that I've ever had to go thru to get on any cruise ship. I had to wait over 2 hours to get on board when i arrived at 12:00 like everyone else did. I found out that the wait was long because they only had 3 workers working behind the desk to get you signed in, this was for vip and regular cruisers. Then when i finally approached the desk they couldnt find my key cards or my reservation so that was another 30 mins for that. But no big deal i wasnt goin to let that ruin my cruise.

Ship:

The ship is a beautiful ship indeed i was very impressed by the ship yes it is very pink like some people stated but the color didnt bother me at all and i sure wasnt goin to let something as small as the color not allow me to have a good time. Very big ship also, the theater was diappointing the way they have it designed because there is so many railings that it blocks your view on many levels. No matter where you sit in the balcony there is a railing blocking your view and also some on the bottom floor as well. I really enjoyed my room very big and spacious and more than enough room for everything that i needed to store. Nice flat screen tv's and all. They even offered you robes to wear through out your cruise which was new to me because on my last carnival ship they didnt do that so i was very impressed by that. What puzzles me is that this was a new ship and only 2 of the elevators worked and when we alerted the staff of the problem they said they would fix it but never got to it the entire time so people had to resort to using the stairs to get everywhere they needed to go around the ship.

Food:

The food was very bad and i was very very shocked by that, Everybody and i do mean everybody that i ran into on the ship was complaining about the food on board. It's like they never changed the menu, the cooked steak and beef in so many different ways until after a wh ile it makes you sick just to even look at it. Several nites i went to bed hungary because the food was so bad. And my spouse also agree that it was bad to. I thought it was just us that had the issue but everybody we talked to hated the food onboard. The thanksgiving dinner was a true joke . Two pieces of turkey with gravy and some sweet potatoe hash and that was it. I had enough hamburgers and hotdogs on this trip to last me a lifetime. And thats all you could eat if you werent satisfied with the menu in the main dining room.

Kids:

The kids onboard this ship made the vacation a true nightmare. I dont have any problems or anything with kids i have been on several cruises with kids before and none ever acted as these did. They would run up and down the halls at all hours of the nite screaming and yelling and knocking on peoples doors and running, Then the would each take a elevator and sit in the entrance just to delay people from using them. Some teenagers were blurting out racial slurs to some of the passengers which was totally uncalled for. And security didnt do anything regarding the behavior of the children which i didnt understand. I talked to so many people that were dissatisfied with this cruise. I dont complain but i feel when i pay my money i expect to have a decent vacation. But i tried to overlook those things and have a great cruise anyway.

Ports:

I was disappointed why in the world carnival for our first port of call would get into puerto rico at 5pm in the evening not giving anybody enough time to tour the island or anything we get there right at nite time. And from what other passengers were saying is that puerto rico is no where you want to be at walking around at night. So i was very disappointed by that because i really wanted to see the highlights of puerto rico but wasnt able to because so many things were already closed. Then we went to La Romana which to me was a huge waste of time, I was talking to passengers that paid over 100 dollars for there excursions and were completely disappointed. I only paid 5 bucks for a shuttle to take me into town where the shopping was so i wasnt to upset by what i paid for. The people were extremely rude and unhelpful when you presented them with questions. But i do expect that sometimes when you go to certain islands so no big deal. I really really loved St. Thomas its so beautiful and had a wonderful time there. After that we sailed in to grand turk which was beautiful as well not much there to do though if your not a swimmer then you probably wouldnt like this destination because all the excursions where things that involved swimming, It's not a big shopping destination. Carnival informed us that it was there first time sailing to this island and they gave us a survey to fill out to let them know if they should continue this port. Then our last port was Nassau which i always always love to go to beautiful each time i visit.

Weather:

The weather was only good for about 3 days of the 8 that we sailed. Very bad storms and wind and the ship was very very very rocky, I mean more rocky than it ever has been on any cruise that i've been on. It rained several days while we were on the cruise. But hey i didnt let that sour me because this is a cruise and all cruise you go on want be smooth sailing all the time so sometimes you have to expect that. Overall i rate this cruise 3 stars. The service was FANTASTIC on all areas so that made up for some of the negative things that i had to put up with. Would i sail the splendor again i dont think so i think i will stick with Royal Carribean cruise lines. I dont want or mean to offend anybody by saying that but this is just my opinion.

Caribbean Resort Reviews
Old 11-30-2008, 06:43 PM

wow,, at least the service was good. wow. not sure what to say.
I love carnival, lucky for us we have never had a bad cruise.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Yes the service was EXCELLENT i mean these workers went above and beyond on that. But i still tried my best to have a great trip.

Caribbean Resort Reviews
Old 12-01-2008, 11:20 AM

Welcome back, sorry to hear that your cruise wasn't good. Haven't sailed on the Splendor, but have sailed on Carnival 5 times. I haven't had bad food on any of them. In fact, I thought their food was better than Royal Caribbean. I loved LaRomana, we had a fantastic snorkel there, Grand Turk, too. We did the same itinerary on Costa Magica. We got into San Juan at 5 and left at midnight. There were quite a few on board that did the bioluminiscence tour that said it was fantastic. We'd been to San Juan many times, so we just stayed on board. If you don't like unruly children, don't try Costa, their ships are loaded. It's not the cruise lines fault that the children don't behave, however. Sorry the weather wasn't good, but Carnival can't control that either. I do hope you at least tried the chocolate melting cake, it's awesome. At least you gave them a try, so stick with Royal, they're a better match for you. That's the great thing about having choices, you don't have to like what others do. Hope your next cruise is better!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Hey penny,

Oh no im not blaming carnival at all regarding the unruly children. I have cruised several times before with tons of children but they never acted out the way they did on this one. My issue is that when security was notified regarding what the children was doing they did nothing and several people notified them and nothing was done. And another issue is when the security and the crew see kids doing things they shouldnt be doing they look and turn there heads. And yes the weather was bad but i do know the cruise lines cant do anything about it i would never blame them for that. I mean i know that every cruise that you go on its not going to be smooth sailing the entire time so im used to that. I just know that LaRomana was just a waste to me but to each its own. And yes i tried the melting cake for several nites but after a while it kinda gets old.

Caribbean Resort Reviews
Old 12-02-2008, 03:17 AM

CruiseMstr,

While I appreciate your review, and I realize all cruises are not the same and there can be problems. And, I truly feel for you for having a somewhat bad experience. However, I have to take issue with some of the statements made that I believe are not true.

#1 Only 2 elevators working.

#2 Only 3 workers at check in.

These comments are going to the extreme with exaggeration. Not to pick your post apart but I highly doubt these statements are accurate.

Dwayne
Old 12-02-2008, 05:05 AM
IslandCruz,

I appreciate your response but in so many words thats like calling me a liar. On my floor where my room was there was only 2 elevators that were working and also in other parts of the ship as well. What do i have to gain from exaggerating the truth about this trip. I'm not getting any kickbacks from this. When we got there to Fort Lauderdale at check in there were only 3 people that were checking in thats one of the reasons we left Fort Lauderdale over 1 hour and a half late because of the longevity of how long it took people to check in. I'm not a liar and i really dont appreciate being called one. I'm not trying to discourage people from cruising on carnival for each it's own. But i did think the name of this site is Cruise Reviews and i thought that paying customers could voice and give there own opinion of there cruise the exact same way that others do on this site. But i just know from now on when i cruise not to post a review on this site.

Caribbean Resort Reviews
Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 AM

Easy CruiseMstr, we appreciate your review, you are more than welcome to post your experiences, likes, dislikes, etc. It just seemed to IslandCruz that there were some points of the review that seemed way out of the norm for any cruise line, not just Carnival. For any cruise line to expect 3 people to handle over 3000 passengers would be insane. I have often wondered why they have agents on lunch break when they open the flood gates, but I guess that's something beyond the cruise lines control. The biggest hold up in Port Everglades always seems to be the lack of scanners for carry-on articles, to me. It sounded like only 2 elevators on the whole ship were working in your review, not just 2 elevators in your area. It does seem strange that it was not corrected, but maybe they didn't have the required parts. IslandCruz was not calling you a liar, just stated that it seemed really strange. We were on the Sea Princess, my favorite ship, and lost total power for over an hour while at sea. It was a very strange occurance, so strange things do happen. It just seemed so out of the ordinary for Carnival. We've sailed on them 5 times and have truly enjoyed each one. Embarkation/Debarkation problems exist on all lines. Costa seems to have embarkation worked out the best, to me. NCL and Princess seems to have debarkation worked out the best, to me. And Princess has the best muster. Now if the cruise lines could learn the strengths from each other, the customers would have amazing experiences. We value everyone's experiences on this board.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:33 AM

CruiseMstr,

No one is or has called you a liar. I just personally don't believe the statements to be accurate. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to post reviews and give opinions whether good or bad. However, when I see something stated that is so far from the norm it is my duty to point it out so others don't think it is the norm.

Dwayne
Old 12-02-2008, 11:30 AM
penny i am being easy im not upset at all i just took it like i read it. But like i said i had no reason to stretch the truth about this trip yeah it may not be normal to hear it but it did indeed happen and several hundred passengers aboard the carnival splendor would agree

Caribbean Resort Reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
21, carnival, club, cruise, december, forum, kids, levels, port, puerto, reviews, rico, spledor, splendor, yahoo