Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Since I saw first-hand a passenger almost left, just curious what would you do?

The ship knows how many go off and come on? I know they just can't wait but if it ever happens to me what do I do?
Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 PM

You should always note the port agent contact for the cruise line. For Carnival, its in the Caper on port days. If you are left behind, you contact the agent to let them know. Then you need to make arrangements to meet the ship in the next port (I assume the port agent can assist there if you don't know) You then end up flying to the next port to meet the ship.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-14-2009, 06:08 PM

The port agent may also direct you to a local "catch the ship" boat service. I have seen this many times.

Dwayne
Old 01-15-2009, 07:05 AM

True, I thought if this but did not know how common this was. But I guess if you "just" missed it, they may be able to catch up and get you back on board....

Also, you made mention of the cruise line knowing who got off and back on. I just wanted to confirm this. The sign and sail card tracks this. That is why you scan it going off and coming back on. They get a listing of guests that went off but did not return. You'll often hear them announcing for people to call the guest relations desk after leaving a port. These are most likely people who showed up on the list and they are trying to confirm their status.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Administrator

This is also a prime reason for having a credit card with you while ashore. If you somehow manage to miss the ship you will have a means to pay for lodging and travel to catch up with your cruise.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:37 AM

And they will leave. We had a couple miss the ship out of one of our ports (Antigua). They called for them before we sailed as an emergency call. They called for them again, after we sailed. They had to meet us at the next port, so they had to pay for their own flights and hotels, and clothes (I assume they bought some to wear). I always take a credit card with me when we go ashore, plus my driver's license and my sail and sign card.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Administrator

I've seen a small group still in their beach attire wearily walking down the pier at Progreso after they missed our Cozumel departure. We all gave them a hearty round of applause and cheers to help punctuate their embarrassment.

On the Grand Princess in 2001 the Captain was quite a stickler for leaving exactly on schedule. He would even do a count down from the bridge. On our St. Maarten stop some guests caused him to leave a few minutes late. He was not happy. He held a meeting with them to convey his disappointment.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:45 AM
It is worth noting that if you are on a tour bought through the ship that the ship will wait for the tour to return if it is late (or I assume pay to get you to the next port, their option). This does not mean you can hang around after the tour and be safe.

When this happens to a crew member, and it rarely does, that get hit with a big fine, up to $1000.

Being ex Navy I remember that missing ship's movement was about as bad as it gets short of awol, I'm always back early
Old 01-24-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
On the Grand Princess in 2001 the Captain was quite a stickler for leaving exactly on schedule. He would even do a count down from the bridge. On our St. Maarten stop some guests caused him to leave a few minutes late. He was not happy. He held a meeting with them to convey his disappointment.
Wow, that would be uncomfortable, like being called to the principal's office.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by CruiseDad:
It is worth noting that if you are on a tour bought through the ship that the ship will wait for the tour to return if it is late (or I assume pay to get you to the next port, their option). This does not mean you can hang around after the tour and be safe.
Good point

Well for all I know they only wait if your tour is the reason you are late.

For example

your tour ends at 4:00 pm and the ship leaves port at 5:30 pm. and for some reason, tour bus broke down or a car accident and you cannot be on the ship by 5:30 pm they have to wait. That is what they tell you on the excursion desk.

Now they only wait for tours that are book directly with them, if you get a "private island tour guide" you are on your own. Also if your tour is not the reason for you to be late, if you stay shopping or just having fun on the island that's your responsibilty so they can leave you and they will...

Closed Thread

Tags
bermuda, carnival, cruise, flybe, guest, late, leave, leaves, left, luggage, passenger, people, percent, port, ship