Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2005, 10:04 PM

I was fortunate to have Cristina my CCL personal vacation planner phone me this afternoon and offer me an alternative trip on the Conquest (my Elation trip is being cancelled). The trip is going from the same port but visiting different ports from the original. It's costing me a bit more but with only two weeks to go it was better not going at all. We can only celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary once. I'm just glad that I made the booking through her and didn't do it on my own. I hope everyone else manages to find an alternative.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:11 PM
I don"t want to jump on the band wagon here but I am one of the cruisers who was planning an april cruise on the sensation for 9 people now we have to look elsewhere which I found and we were to go on the Conquest in early January, but I waited two days after the hurricane and called airline and my ta and transfered my deposits to other ship and changed my flights and I understand, that there are are monies paid out for your vacations which you will get back from carnival from a direct comment from Mr. dickerson. your flight tickets should be good for up to a year since the airport is not going to be functionable, for inbound tourist flight, the airlines are not going fight you over refunds they will honour you tickets I was given that option, I do not want to sound off but there are plenty of travel opportunities last minute trips that the online co. offer orbitz travelocity expedia etc. where you can go for 2, 3, 4, day trips tat are great bargains I know how hard it is to get vacation time from work 3 of our april cruisers had to put in there time in August in order to get April off, there are enven cruises that have some cabins available you just have to do your home work or get your ta to look for you instead of cruise take a trip to cancun Jamica or cozumel, bahamas there are some good deals out there, well I think that what is going on withe the 3 ships is ok god knows these people that are going to pick up the pieces are going to need a place to stay, I think maybe the ships are going to mostly for the clen up and enginering people and contractors and whoever else is going to put nola back together, I highly doubt they are going to put the people who lost thier homes on these ships, I think the workers will be using them as homes and offices and main base altho I could be wrong, time will tell I think some parts of nola will be off limits to the public for a very long time, great job Carnival, it just a shame that they did not use these massive ships to evacuate people out of harms way befor this all happened....
Old 09-04-2005, 01:21 PM

My husband and I survived Betsy, Camille and Andrew, not to mention several smaller hurricanes, right here in Louisiana. This was the big one! I was taking my 88 yr old mother-in-law on a cruise on Sensation on 9/24. Not now, but not mad. We are cleaning up. Pray for all those who will be sheltered on the Carnival ships. They can only dream of what a real cruise would be like, so don't begrudge them a nice comfortable place to sleep and food to eat. This won't be standard cruise week, as we know it, but a place to recoop from a dreadful ordeal. I will get a refund from Carnival, and make plans for a later cruise...and I won't complain one bit because I have seen the lines of cars full of refugees, and bus loads of them searching for a safe place to lay down, a hot meal and a cool room to relax in while they wait to hear from loved ones lost in the storm.
Be glad that you have only seen the sights on tv and not lived through them. I took a cold shower for 5 nights and was happy I had running water...no power, no phone, but a cold bath felt wonderful. I have cooked food from our freezers and fed the men from three states who came to cut trees off the power lines and restore our electric, telephone and cable lines. I am now preparing a dozen mobile homes, that I normally rent to construction workers who come to work in the chemical and refinging plants in our area, for some of the displaced families in the Kenner, Metairie and New Orleans area who can't go home again. The kids need to be in schools, the parents have to find jobs, and I am happy to say we have living quarters available to rent. Big companies from the city are in La Place buying up all the available houses, renting all the mobile homes and appartments for their people. Baton Rouge, 70 miles west of New Orleans, is now the largest population city in Louisiana. Sorry, I got carried away, but be thankful if you can reschedule a VACATION, and not your whole life.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:32 PM

Lynzie,

my respect for you and your family doing such fantastic work for at least a few people, who need all the help they can get.

Best wishes from germany to Louisiana.

Marita

Old 09-04-2005, 01:35 PM

AMEN LYNZIE!!!

Thanks for puting that all in perspective
Old 09-04-2005, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarlet:
It's costing me a bit more but with only two weeks to go it was better not going at all.

We can only celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary once.
Hey Scarlet,

Congrats on the 25th anniversary! That is the reason we are sailing as well :-) (Conquest 9 Oct)

Agree about the additional expenses that were not anticipated - NOLA was driving distance for us Galveston means we have to fly.

Really hoping that CCL will be offering some sort of compensation - the $50 I have heard seems a bit low especially when you figure airfare for a family of 4 + getting to the terminal (I really was surprised that CCL charges $40 per person - or so I have heard for a one way bus ride to the airport (I can rent a car for less!)

Oh well, enough grousing :-)
Old 09-04-2005, 02:34 PM

Hi bobinnm

Congrats on your anniversary. It costs $33 per person each way from the airport to the port. We managed to get a cheap flight from DFW to HOU for $39 per person one way. The shuttle to the boat is nearly as much. Hope you get a good deal on your flight.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:29 PM
kudos to you and yours my thoughts and prayers are with you we finally heard from a friend in Kenner he is a bed ridden fellow, and he left word with friends to let us know he is ok, his only means of communacation is telephone and computer, his friend in kenner e mailed us to let us know he is ok prayers are with you Rick, the south will rise again, through the help of many good hearted folks like yourself Fran
Old 09-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Banned

I have just completed 28 hours since notification that our cruise was canclled. We spent numerous hours on the phone with 1-800-CARNIVAL on hold or being lied to. We spent the entire afternoon in the cruise terminal because we were told we were high on the standby list, but we had to be there if we were going to get on. We never got straight answers, people promised to find out what was going on only to disappear.

After the boat sailed they took 30 to 40 of us into a room with armed officers (kid you not) and told us, "Sorry but there is nothing we can do." When we tried to ask questions, we were told they could not tell us anything and we would have to leave the terminal.

Well, I can do something. NEVER SAIL ON CARNIVAL AGAIN. SELL MY CARNIVAL STOCK. TELL EVERYONE I KNOW TO TAKE ANOTHER CRUISE LINE.

This is not aimed at the hurricane victims. I feel truely sorry for them. However, housing them on a cruise boat makes absolutely no sense. Why not commandeer entire hotels, or vacant apartments, or empty warehouse space. We have more than enough of each in this area of Texas. We called around and found plenty available hotel rooms in Galveston.

What I am upset about is Carnival profiteering on this situation, and we taxpayers footing the bill for a company that is not even a USA registered corporation. I am extremly upset about their complete disregard for their customers and the cavalier attitude with which we have been treated.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:18 PM

mcastle,
It is obvious that you are quite upset and feel the need to vent, however, I was forced to edit your post due to its inflammatory nature. There are appropriate ways to air your frustration, but please remember this site is designed for everyone's enjoyment and not just for those who have an axe to grind. We all know you feel Carnival has treated you unfairly and do not agree with their decision to pull some of their ships out of commission to aid in the hurricane relief. You have made your position clear, there is no need to belabor the point. This forum allows you the opportunity to express your opinion, but we will not permit messages to be posted that are vindictive.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, galveston, list, standby