Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 AM

Well first let me say that I love cruising and would not cruise with any other but Carnival, that's because why switch when you already have a blast going on Carnival!!

Don't take a hair dryer as the bathrooms have them attached to the wall and they work great! The food was good as always and the service was good had a few bumps one being the first night was open dining, the second was our assigned tables, we fell in love with our waitress Evelyn and there was four of us (me, husband, daughter, and son-in-law) the other four that was suppose to sit with us didn't show up. The problem was the Matre-d came up to our table at the end of the meal and ask us if we would give up our table for a party of eight that wanted to set together my husband said, "Well we are happy here we don't want to change." The Matre-d was pretty insistent so we caved. The problem was that we like sitting and getting to know other people also and who knows if the other people would have showed up the next night, then the Matre-d sent a card stating at "our request your table has been changed" it was not our request! Third night new table, terrible service two hours to eat, bread and water only first 45 minutes, we were not happy cruisers, chin up fourth night service much better and the poor waiter kept saying he was sorry because he had so many people to wait on I then felt sorry for him, he was doing the very best that he could do.

Ship doctor was also an issue with us, our daughter has type 1 diabetes, motion sickness on the flight down, (never had before), first nurse I talked to really nice, second nurse not so nice acted like because my daughters sugar was running in the 400's that she didn't know what she was doing, news flash she has had diabetes for eight years she knows that she needs more insulin if she can't get it to come down, ship doc said she wasn't dehydrated I disagreed, gave her pills for irritable bowel had nothing to do with bowels. So threw pills in wastebasket and had to treat her myself with natural stuff I brought myself (more to this but won't go into it)

Kids, where are the parents? Running on deck 5, on the stairs, threw shoes down (just about hit a women in the head) my husband had put his back out two days into the cruise and some boy running ran into him which didn't feel good on the back, we had this problem on the Freedom also, feel like the parents get on the ship and just let their kids run wild (I love kids have two of my own but they would never be allowed to do that) feel like there needs to be a curfew on these ships for kids under a certain age, we also received two phone calls in the middle of the night (kids) did complain to the guest service was told there was nothing they could do. One kid went into the bathroom when my husband was in there and puked in the bathroom sink, we had to go get a carnival person and tell him, I felt so bad for him having to clean that mess up!

Love San Juan Puerto, people are so nice and layed back, they actually stop and let you cross the road, here we would keep going!! We were able to make all our stops, ports I like the most St. Thomas, St. Kitts, and St. Marrten the set up for the ships is great the other ports not so much. We weren't able to do shore excursions because of daughter not feeling well and husband put his back out but we did relax!

Don't get me wrong I love cruising, love Carnival but there are some issues and I do realize that ALL ships have issues, I give these people that work on these ships alot of credit because I believe they put up with alot they are hard workers and we really have a heart for them and the job that they do!!

Glory 2007
Liberty 2008
Freedom 2009
Victory 2010
Old 04-06-2010, 01:55 PM

Welcome back bugcruiser Sounds like overall you had a good cruise. Sorry to hear about the problems you encountered and really sorry your husband hurt his back, that's so painful.

Did you do something fun in St. Kitts? Did you get to the Batik factory? It's such a pretty island. In fact, I enjoy all the ports you listed.

I am glad to hear that you will still sail on Carnival, they truly do have a great product. The unruly kids happen on all ships. We've had some great ship's doctors and some not so good. Sounds like a total mix-up in the dining room, but glad to hear the food was good. Hope you had the chocolate melting cake

Best wishes and get busy planning the next one!
Old 04-06-2010, 03:17 PM

Penny we didn't really get to do anything on St. Kitts except shop which the shopping there is great! And yes chocolate melting cake is one of our favorites.

I did forget to say in my first post that the embarktation and debarktation went great, we got to the port at 11:30 and were on the ship by 12:30 went smooth. We did stay an extra night in San Juan because we love the island!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 AM

Where did you stay in San Juan? We stayed at the Plaza Condado, which was really nice. We walked around old San Juan, went through the fort, where I picked out my room with a great view, had some really strong coffee, and tried some local cuisine. Ponce is a nice place to visit, too, maybe next time you go.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:39 AM

We stay at the Holiday Inn Express in the Condado, it was nice. I wanted the Sheraton but it was pricey because of Easter, we did eat there though and the burgers are great! The Marriott looked nice it was right on the beach, which was across from where we stayed if we fly into San Juan again we probably will try for the Marriott.

I like the shopping in Old San Juan, (Coach store! it's just so beautiful there, now back home rainy and cloudy (back to reality)
Old 04-07-2010, 12:21 PM

Not sure it was expensive just because of Easter. I think we paid $189 or $199 a night, which was why we only stayed one night. But, we like to come in early. It just cuts down on the stress levels.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Banned

Thanks for the review. It has been years since we sailed out of San Juan...and since it was the one and only time we flew in the day of the cruise...we did not get to see much of it.

I completely understand about the kids...sadly, this is why we no longer cruise when school is out. I have never been so glad not to be tied to the school schedule!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 03:38 PM

I love Carnival but as of yet I haven't tried any others because I have not been able to find the price I can afford as a single cruiser to the places I want to visit when I want to go. I suppose I will have to look into the Epic in the near future (as soon as they work the kinks out of the new ship) with their single accommodations.

I leave on the Victory on May 2nd and the time seems to drag on so slowly waiting to start.

One question for you - how hectic was it doing a new port every day? I love the itinerary but it seems like a lot in a short time.

My primary reason for selecting this cruise was that I was able to book a balcony, midships for only $1,111.00 plus fees, less than $200 per night which is much, much less than any other cruise I looked at this year.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews

Conquest 2004
Triumph 2006
Liberty 2008
Victory 2010
Old 04-18-2010, 05:49 PM

I've done virtually the same itinerary from San Juan twice. Once on the Holiday and again on the Inspiration. It was a bit exhausting with a port call every day. We were not being able to dock at St. Kitts (last port) due to high wind once. I ended up going back to the cabin and sleeping a few hours. I love the itinerary though.

Dwayne
Old 04-19-2010, 06:40 PM

Having a port each day was no problem for us, my husband put his back out on day two so he couldn't walk very far. We would get off the boat for awhile then go back and enjoyed the empty ship! St. Marrten has a really nice beach not far from the docks, with nice lounge chairs we spent all day there.

It was a very relaxing vacation for us!! Enjoy!!

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, diabetic, excursion, kitts, marriott, request, shore, st, type