Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2007, 09:16 AM

Hi! I'm a newbie to this site and LOVE all the info I'm getting ... thanks!

Just booked a Fantasy cruise for the family leaving October 6th. It is not official yet, but when I called Carnival, they told me the cruise would be going to Progresso, not Costa Maya.

My issue is that I can't book any shore excursions from Progresso yet - either on Carnival or on my own. Carnival has none posted (because the itinerary still says Costa Maya) and I don't know our arrival time so booking on my own is not an option.

Does anyone know if there are tours offered once I get off the ship? We are interested in touring Chichen Itza, and with a family of five, would love to save money by doing it on my own. Is this a good idea? I understand the dock is reaaally long, and this may present a problem. Thanks for any advice!
Old 08-31-2007, 06:34 PM

Hi donfanone and welcome.
The last time we were in Progresso was almost 3 years ago. I do not remember a lot of people selling excursions at the pier, maybe it has changed since we were there.

There is a small shopping area where you dock and yes the pier is extremely long. They have shuttles and cabs. I recomend the cabs. It is much faster.

We went to the public beach and went shopping in town. Got $1 beers on the beach and shopping was cheap also.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-31-2007, 06:37 PM
Hi to You,

I wouldn't book it myself....it's a 2 1/2 hour trip to Chichen Itza....BUT DO GO...It's now listed as one of the 7 wonders of the new world and well worth it....there should be tours offered from the ship.....remember, if you do it on your own, and something happens that you get back late....YOU MISS THE SHIP...it won't wait for you unless you are on a Ship sponsored Tour.....there is nothing to do in Progresso.....and yes, the pier is LONG....7 miles or so.....Have a Great Cruise whatever you decide to do....
Old 08-31-2007, 07:10 PM
Banned

Berick is right. There is nothing to do in Progresso. Look into the Chichen Itza tour. You won't regret it. There is amazing history there.
By the way, welcome!
A'ndrea
Old 08-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Banned

Look at this...

Progreso Shore Excursions

Chichen Itza
Old 08-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Banned

PLEASE IGNORE I can't seem to get rid of this.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:32 AM

Thanks so much for all your advice! Can't wait - just a month left - woo hoo!

Closed Thread

Tags
book, carnival, chichen, cruise, excursion, excursions, itza, mexico, progesso, progresso, review, ship, shore, tour, tours