Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2007, 07:45 PM

Hi! I am so glad I found this site. We are going on our first cruise in 2 weeks to Mexico on the Pride. I would love any advise you may have. What do you wish you brought, but did not on the first time. OR what did you wish you knew. It will be a family vacation with our 3 kids. Thanks for any input, I may have more questions before we leave!
Old 02-09-2007, 05:34 PM

You will have a great time and this is a really nice ship. If you plan on drinking soda it might be cheaper to take your own b/c you have to pay for all of your soda. Don't pack tons of clothes b/c you will not need them. You are in your swim suit most of the time besides for dinner and the shows afterwards. The first cruise I packed a different outfit for everyday and I didn't even where half of them. If you don't have to use certain shampoo they do offer it in the shower as well as shower gel.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:14 PM

I haven't sailed on the Pride, but my husband's friend, Frederick Grant. assistant food manager is presently working the on the Pride and so isn't his girlfriend. She works in the gift shop. She's from South Africa. Have fun.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Administrator

If one of your ports of call is Cabo San Lucas, I highly recommend the whale watch tour...something the whole family will enjoy.

As far as what I wished I had brought that first cruise -- a journal. I've been keeping them for years, but didn't start right away, and now wish I had.

Are you in one cabin or two? You might want to ask for more than one copy of the daily program for the family. (Each cabin typically receives one.) Your steward will provide them, if asked, or you can pick up extras near the pursers desk.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Banned

The Pride is a Spirit Class ship, which is my personal favorite lay out.

You will have a wonderful time.

Camp Carnival is available from 9AM -10pm for any children over the age of 2. (yes they will change diapers~~some cruise lines won't)

Around 7pm on the day you embark, there will be an orientation to fill out a sheet with allergies, etc and introduce the counselors.

Then later on in the night they have a family "get together" so that the children can become comfortable with the counselors with the parents present. You will get a Caper for each child's age group that will give you a list of the activities for the entire cruise.

Camp Carnival's full care starts at 9AM the next morning.

I have not have "little ones" in ashile but basically what we used to do when they were that age was take them at 9AM- pick them up at noon for lunch. Go back at 2PM- pick them up at 5 for dinner(we had early seating) and then take them back from 7-10pm. After 10pm, they will babysit for $6 per child ($4 for additional children) until 3AM.

Port days and sea days are handled a little differently...but it will all be spelled out clearly in their Caper.

There is also Club O2 (15-17) which is a lot of fun.

Adults get a Caper on their beds every night giving you the "411" on the next day's activities.

A few suggestions:

I usually take $50 in $1 bills for tipping room service, the taxi, the porter or requesting songs in the piano bar (not required but a nice touch).

Keep you watch on SHIP time. Some ports are ahead or behind the ship. There is a clock as you leave the gangplank to let you know what time the ship has. Also, any time changes that happen during the cruise will be announced in the Capers. I can't remember if we did any time changes in March.

There is only ONE electrical plug. And I do mean ONE (not one dual). So bring an extention cord!!

There is a mini-fridge in the room, but it does not keep stuff really cold.

Water and soda does cost extra but you are allowed to bring as much as you want to with you. (even the ones in your cabin) Carry it on ...we don't want any hrorible soda accidents in your checked luggage. Security may open your carry on just to make sure it is not beer...don't let that alarm you.

Avoid the scrambled eggs on Lido..they are powdered. However, you can get an omelet made to order with real eggs.

There will be door hangers in your room that you can use to order coffee and a continental breakfast. I usually have this done every morning. You select what you want and the time you would like it delivered. I can't think until I have had my coffee. For me, this is a must. But be sure to check off everything you will need. (ie bagels do not automatically come with cream cheese...don't ask me why..you have to check off cream cheese if you want it)

Have a great great vacation!!!
Old 02-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Let me add my endorsement to the Spirit-class ship layout.....it is without question the best design of any Carnival ship.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:34 PM

We were on the Pride a few years back. You will enjoy her.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Banned

Just got off Pride on Sunday. #1 suggestion... buy binoculars to watch the dolphins, whales and sea lions. You won't regret that purchase!

Buy a disposable underwater camera. Especially with your children. It runs approx. $8.99 at Target/Walmart/K-Mart and it's worth it.

Buy souveniors in Mazatlan. I can't speak for P.V.(we lost that port due to propulsion problem.) Mazatlan, poor port. THE BEST prices on silver, coral, opals, turquoise. Either buy with vendors on beach, Golden Zone, or at the arts/crafts center where trolley drops you off from the ship. Cabo, rich port. DO NOT wait until you get to Cabo. They don't barter on price and it's VERY expensive.

Closed Thread

Tags
bring, carnival, cruise, cruisers, cruises, pride, time, week, weeks, worth