Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007, 01:29 PM

First, I'm not anti-kid; I raised three of them. While I didn't look forward to the "fun" cruise line that caters more to kids, I have to say the extra accompanyment of kids really didn't give me much cause to gripe. But there were a few things that surprised me, as a firt timer.

I had heard there was always an "adult-only" pool. Liberty had two pools, (very small I thought), but were both packed with kids. Also the adult-only hot tubs were also populated with kids. I guess either it's in name-only? I was impressed with the teen accomodation. There were dance clubs and video parlors for kids only, but they kept them in good age brackets, like 15-17 dance clubs - keeps the little kids and over bearing adults out.

But several times some young teens on our Lido deck cabins were running and screaming, both in afternoon, while we tried to take late afternoon/after-sore-excursion rest naps, and after 10pm at night. Shouldn't there be security policing this? I know it's a "fun" ship, but keep the "fun" relegated to the activity centers.

As first timers, many frequent cruisers told us that Carnival is more into "entertainment" where other cruise lines are into pampering. WHile we didn't participate in much of the entertainment, the shows and musical entertainment was much appreciated. How does this compare with other cruise lines?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:54 PM

The best way for you to compare is to cruise another line and then make a comparison. I think the first cruise is the hardest b/c you are so full of "other people have said" that you alternate between being overwhelmed and just a bit disappointed. That alone can be exhausting. While cruising is addictive, you have to know what to expect.

The kids in the pool issue, well I think only the aft hot tubes are adult only. I don't think any of the pools on Liberty are adult only. And, even if they are, people are inconsiderate. What I found works is that I just wait until after 4:00 or so in the afternoon to enjoy to pool or hot tubs. By then most families with children are getting ready for dinner (early seating) and the pools are generally cleared of kids.

The pools are not lap pools. They are more cooling off pools.

As far as children running in the halls, call security and report them. Kids will go as far as they are allowed and sometimes parents do not understand that the boundaries acceptable for adults w/o children is not nearly as wide or flexible as it is with adults travelling with children.

I tend to take a late seating for dinner. That way the dining room, showrooms, pools, etc. are cleared of the younger set when I go to partake.

Now if you tend to go to bed early (pre-1:00 a.m.) or take afternoon naps, I suggest you reserve a cabin in the front or back of the Riviera Deck. You may hear the engine or anchor once or twice but besides those few minutes once or two time a cruise, these areas tend to be cemetery quiet for the rest of the cruise. The Riviera Deck feels less of the ship's movement, it is nestled beneath another deck of all cabins and the back and front of this deck has far less traffic. The best plus is that this is the cheapest deck on the ship.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)

Closed Thread

Tags
adult, carnival, comparison, cruise, cruzes, fun, line, reviews, security, tend