Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 04:47 PM

Angry Carnival Freedom Itinerary Change
Can someone tell me why they made an intinerary change for the Freedom? I am really bummed San Juan was one of my favorite ports. Why don't they take Tortola off the intinerary there is not much there. I realize that things come up but the five ports was one reason we chose this cruise again! Will they reimburse or give ship credit because we aren't going there?

Thanks bugcruiser
Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Administrator

They won't be giving any credits or other reimbursement. The cruise line has the contractual right to modify itineraries and in this case Carnival simply is not going to try to placate anyone.

I don't know the true reason for the change. I suspect it is a cost issue with fuel savings being realized by removing San Juan. Also, although you like San Juan I think the majority of North American cruisers do not. Carnival doesn't make business decisions without lots of research. If their data showed that people wanted the Freedom to continue stopping at San Juan it would have.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:16 PM

Unhappy carnival freedom itinerary change
Thanks Dave for the information, carnival didn't really give a reason only that it was logistical reasons. I love the culture in San Juan and find the people to be very nice, the old world charm, and there seems to be so much to do there. Is Carnival taking San Juan off all their ports of stop?

Thanks bugcrusier
Old 12-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugcruiser View Post
Is Carnival taking San Juan off all their ports of stop?
No, they still have some ships stopping there...Valor, Glory, Liberty, they stop at San Juan. Plus the Carnival Victory is homeported in San Juan.

Actually, I was just looking and Carnival shows the Freedom stopping at San Juan several times in 2011, and up through January 2012. Perhaps they haven't updated the info yet.

As I understand it, they have cancelled San Juan for 4 cruises in 2011...is that correct?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:30 PM

The only thing my e-mail said is that it was for the Freedom, but that's because that is the ship we are booked on in March 2011. I haven't heard about any others.

Bugcruiser
Old 12-21-2010, 06:31 PM

Not exactly sure of the number of cruises. I am also not sure of the reason yet. It may have to do with work being done at the port or something. If you've paid the cruise with the port on there and then they take it off they will usually give credit for the port charges/gov fees for the port.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:30 AM

Thanks Dwayne, I can always count on you guys for information, I really do appreciate it. We have been on the Freedom before and love the ship and crew, it will still be a wonderful time, I was just disappointed because it is my favorite port!!

Bugcruiser
Old 12-23-2010, 07:52 AM

Well if they changed the itinerary after you booked, did you try and call and ask them if they would/could change you to another ship that does include San Juan? Since they made the change they may do it without charging you additional fees. Of course they may not too, but still worth a try.

Now having said that, the other problem with San Juan is that the distance from Florida makes it a problem from the standpoint of the time you get there. A normal cruise won't dock until 3PM if SJ is the first stop. This makes the tours that can be offered limited. This may be why many cruisers do not enjoy stopping there as much as other ports. The only choices seem to be going out and having dinner.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Banned

I don't know IF this has anything at all to do with the change,
but when we were in San Juan earlier this month on the Liberty...
there was a lot of construction going on at the port.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHP View Post
I don't know IF this has anything at all to do with the change,
but when we were in San Juan earlier this month on the Liberty...
there was a lot of construction going on at the port.
That was my thought too. I don't know for sure though. Weren't they suppose to be removing that thing that gave the Dream a problem docking?

Closed Thread

Tags
cancelled, cancels, carnival, change, cruise, dock, freedom, isnt, itinerary, juan, logistical, port, reasons, san, trip