Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Carnival Magic Trip of a Lifetime (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/36316-carnival-magic-trip-lifetime.html)

CamperMom 12-31-2010 12:23 PM

Carnival Magic Trip of a Lifetime

Hi all! It's been a while!

Hubby and I are celebrating 20 years this year and are taking a Mediterranean cruise for our anniversary (yet with 2 boys in tow...I do love them but...sigh).

So I have read, cruised, searched and reviewed as much as I could on the European ports and the Carnival shoretours and still don't have enough specific information on cruisetours (or Carnival's Cruisetours) to the following ports:

Marseilles (although general concensus seems to be to take a tour to Provence areas)
Savona
Rome
Naples (Travel Channel's Samantha Brown did all but wipe her feet of this city, though)
Messina
Venice
Messina
Palma De Mallorca

Since this is my first Carnival cruise (I'm traditionally a RCCL girl and closet DCL fan when I can afford it), and I'm dragging three men who don't deal well with unplanned days and things that go wrong, I am sticking with the cruiseline tours (for my own peace of mind - like an anniversary present to myself!)

So, Inquiring Minds Want To Know:
What Carnival Shoretours did you take in these cities?
What did you like/not like about them?
What do you wish you had done instead (other than take a private tour or go it on your own)?

Even if you have done tours to these cities and don't think I want to hear your "little ol' me" opinion, you're wrong! I do!

Thanks so much everyone! Okay....start the discussion!

CamperMom

Dave 12-31-2010 01:51 PM

Last summer we had some great threads about many of the ports. If you look in our Europe Ports area you'll see them.

There is no getting around it, Napoli is a dump. I wouldn't waste a dime on a tour which dwelled on Naples. Head off on something that goes to Sorrento, the Amalfi coast, Pompeii.

CamperMom 01-01-2011 08:48 AM

Carnival Magic Cruise of a Lifetime

Hi Dave. Yeah, I read through them but they all dealt with private tours. I spent some time trying to decide if this should be posted in "Europe Ports" or in "Carnival" and decided to go with the cruiseline section because I am interested in people's opinions of Carnival's shoretours rather than finding private tour operators in each of the ports.

I am really hoping to hea from people who have paid the bucks to take the Carnival tours and what they thought of them. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? (Obscure 80's reference...I am so old!)

CamperMom

Bub 01-01-2011 09:32 AM

Hi CamperMom,

Wow, sounds like a great trip coming up. Definitely Pompeii in Naples and in Venice I would go to St Marks Square and get a gondola ride. Can't help with the rest but I think you will love Carnival.

B

Dave 01-01-2011 09:44 AM

It's also important to note that tours change every so often. What Carnival is offering now may not be what someone like Jim C saw just a couple years ago when he did a Carnival cruise in the Med.

It's also quite common for the same tour operator to be used by more than one cruise line. Giuseppe's Tours 'is' Carnival on Tuesday, Princess on Thursday for example. One isn't going to be better than the other.

Jim C. 01-01-2011 01:14 PM

The only Carnival tour we booked on our trip went to Olympia but you are not headed there so I can't help you. We didn't book any private tours, we just did it all on our own. Jumped on trains to Pompeii /Sorrento .. its not hard at all with a little bit of fore planning. Read the "how to's of Italian trians" in the Europe section and you will be set.