Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Default Sales pitch Vaca Insurance
We are about 2 weeks from our Fantasy cruise. We recieved a call from a Carnival TA on our home phone messages. It said in essence that an agent needed to go over our cruise documents to be sure everything was in order, and that they noticed we had not purchased vaca protection. I know that many of us on cruise chat reccomend it, but we don't buy it. It's our choice. We called back because she implied our docs were not in order. What it really was was an excuse to high pressure sales pitch to buy insurance. It even went from $120 each to $95 each when we again turned it down. She went on how we are over 60 and a medivac could cost up to $25,000. I guess I was OK, as I understand companies need to pursue every avenue of revenue. But I do bristle a bit at this mild deception, our cruise docs were just fine it was just an excuse to sell.

Is this happening to others or just those over 60, I wonder
Old 01-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Actually a medical evacuation can cost $100,000 or more so the insurance salesperson at Carnival needs to get up-to-date on her information.

As you said - it's your choice and you seem to understand what you are risking. I always buy coverage and that is my choice. One thing I never do is buy the cruise line's coverage since it never seems to be as good as 3rd party coverage.

This is the first I've heard of this type of sales tactic. They were way out-of-line in my opinion, and especially given it is 2 weeks out from your cruise it seems a bit late to be pushing insurance on you.

And what does being over 60 have to do with it? Anyone could require a medevac no matter their age.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Talking
Quote:
And what does being over 60 have to do with it? Anyone could require a medevac no matter their age.
Absolutely right. The point she was trying to make of course is I was more likely to need it being "old".
I was tempted to say if I needed the large sum I would sell my Carnival Stock to raise it. HAHA I really don't have quite that much but I am a stock holder. BTW CCL has made huge gain the last 30 days. I wonder why? Usually it goes up when my daughter re-signs a contract and goes down when she signs off for vacation.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:18 PM
A year and a half ago there was a medical emergency on an Alaska bound cruise ship just north of Vancouver Island. A four year old girl had a case of appendicitis. The Canadian Airforce had to fly out and extract her and her family. Then they borded a turboprop air ambulance to Victoria.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Administrator

For the rest of my life I'll remember the $10,000 bill I got for the maybe 8 minute ride on the medflight helicopter my wife had to take after 'the accident' in 2006. It's probably $15,000 by now. The thing is many medical insurance plans won't cover air evacuations. Ours did.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 PM

Have never received a call from them about insurance. I don't book directly with a PVP though. HERE is the current pricing and coverage info.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:44 PM

they did the exact same thing to me. I leave in 3 weeks on the fasination and called and left a message about my docs not being in order. it was to sell us the insurance. we have been on lots of cruises and this is the first time they have ever done that.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM

Must be some kind of new up sell marketing tactic. Leaving a message saying there is a problem with your cruise Docs is downright deceptive in my opinion.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseDad View Post
Usually it goes up when my daughter re-signs a contract and goes down when she signs off for vacation.
CruiseDad, Sorry I missed your daughter last time due to the cast change and not being able to find her. If she is on April 29th, Cruise Director Risa is going to make sure I meet her this time. She also had wonderful things to say about her. Wish I was going the same time as you. I'm sure I could get Risa to arrange for us all to have dinner one night with her included.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Plus, if they are targeting people 60 and over it is abusive in that they are using fear to push the sale.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, crusie, imagination, insurance, lines, medevac, minute, pitch, plan, review, reviews, sales, ship, trip