Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 10:06 PM

Default We should know next week...
take note that all the head honchos of all the Cruise Companies are in Miami this week.

Already they are all predicting price increases...

I personally all of them are waiting on someone else to be the first to put the fuel surcharge back in.

I can hear Cahill right now...to the RCCL guy.."hey, if you will put it back, we will add it back in the next day...come one, you know we need it."

to make matter worse...Carnival stock dropped another $.75 today and fell back to $39.11..YIKES
Old 03-16-2011, 05:16 AM
I expect them to bring it back next week.. We have not booked a cruise because I believe it will be back, And I refuse to pay it, We may later purchase one that is leaving 2-4 weeks out.but I wont book a Early saver price and have a non refundable deposit.. And I dont want to pay extra to have the right to ask for MY money back...Its not the extra $9.00 a day x 2 that hurts,it's the everyday cost of living that hurting everyone right now.. So I hope and pray that we will be able to cruise in the next 2 years, if nor I will need to get my refund on the remaning $100.00 certificate that I have..we will see how easy that will be to get back.. Sad days are ahead,,

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-21-2011, 08:39 AM

I'd rather they just bump the prices instead of calling it a "surcharge".

The way they change the prices almost daily, what is another adjustment for the fuel cost going to matter? Its not going to keep me from cruising. Tim, if you refuse to cruise because the price of fuel is causing the price to go up (as in a surcharge or the fare increase) then why stop there? EVERYTHING you buy is affected by fuel costs. Unfortunately the cruse oil speculators are driving the oil prices up for no reason other than greed. It is killing our economy but I refuse to stop going on vacation because of it. Airfares have increased a lot because of fuel. Are you saying the cruise lines (and not just Carnival) should not adjust their prices to cover the increased costs as well?

Yes it is probably going to happen. But I hope it shows up in a increased fare cost and not a surcharge.

Oh and "Jabee" ... Welcome to the forum! I see you have replied to several posts but no one has given you a "Welcome Aboard" response... glad you have joined us!
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 03-21-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post

Yes it is probably going to happen. But I hope it shows up in a increased fare cost and not a surcharge.

Oh and "Jabee" ... Welcome to the forum! I see you have replied to several posts but no one has given you a "Welcome Aboard" response... glad you have joined us!
Hey Jim...I am actually a Jimmy...
thanks for the welcome..I actually got about five or six the other day!
As you can see, I have cruised quite a bit in the last few years, and love to share my experience.

I am in Alabama so Dave was quick to greet me the other day.

I want to find a Board where people are really interested in cruising and not bashing the line or each other. I look forward to hearing from others.

PREVIOUS CRUISES

Carnival Elation (1) Feb. 12, 2011
Carnival Triumph (2) March 13, 2010; Oct. 16, 2010
Carrnival Fantasy (4) Oct. 15, 2007; Oct 27, 2008; March 2, 2009; Nov. 11, 2009
Carnival Holiday (2) Dec. 27, 2007 & Dec. 31, 2007
NCL Sun (1) on March 11, 2007
Carnival Glory (1) Sept. 16, 2006
Carnival Celebration (2) Dec. 31, 2005; March 20, 2006
Carnivall Conquest (1) Oct 9-16, 2005
Old 03-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabee View Post
Hey Jim...I am actually a Jimmy...
thanks for the welcome..I actually got about five or six the other day!
As you can see, I have cruised quite a bit in the last few years, and love to share my experience.

I am in Alabama so Dave was quick to greet me the other day.

I want to find a Board where people are really interested in cruising and not bashing the line or each other. I look forward to hearing from others.
You've come to the right place. Welcome!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:02 PM

Always glad to bring another Jimmy on board!

We get a lot of people looking for good cruise talk without the bashing. So you came to the right place...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 03-22-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
I'd rather they just bump the prices instead of calling it a "surcharge".

The way they change the prices almost daily, what is another adjustment for the fuel cost going to matter? Its not going to keep me from cruising. Tim, if you refuse to cruise because the price of fuel is causing the price to go up (as in a surcharge or the fare increase) then why stop there? EVERYTHING you buy is affected by fuel costs. Unfortunately the cruse oil speculators are driving the oil prices up for no reason other than greed. It is killing our economy but I refuse to stop going on vacation because of it. Airfares have increased a lot because of fuel. Are you saying the cruise lines (and not just Carnival) should not adjust their prices to cover the increased costs as well?

If the fuel prices continue to rise the cruise lines most likely will add a fuel surcharge. I'm actually surprised they haven't already. By adding a fuel surcharge "to" the cruise fare, they gain the full value of what they add. They don't gain the full value by increasing the "actual" cruise fare, because they would be paying commission on that fare. I don't give much thought when cruise lines say they are raising rates April 1st. They'll just turn around a week later and have a sale. The mass market cruise lines; CCL, RCI, and NCL, are notorious for having the perpetual sale.

Last edited by Cruise Fanatic; 03-22-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:54 PM
At the moment the prices are not that bad...comparing to the past 2008 time
but remember this; the economy is not what it use to be. not many people are booking
Cruises. Normally they try to stay locally at their vacation time, so maybe the cruise lines are afraid that a special "GAS TAX" could create massive booking cancelations and I will include on this myself I don't think I will have the oportunity to pay more for a cruise, considering that for my summer cruise I have already plan my budget...
Old 03-22-2011, 06:39 PM

Another reason they use the Fuel Supplement approach is so they can add the charge after you book retroactively if they need to. Lots of legalities involved. I bet they are straining with to do or not to do. I hope they can ride it out.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:01 AM
well like I said we are going to wait and see what happens,, Book one maybe 4-6 weeks out this fall possibly. but it will be near home. no flying to miami anymore..

Closed Thread

Tags
2011, caribbean, carnival, cruise, cruises, effect, fuel, lines, oil, price, prices, pricese, royal, ship, surcharge