Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Dave's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 17,772
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHP View Post
Btw, the "quick announcement" with no heads up was because of Port Canaveral's CEO letting the cat out of the bag about the Ecstasy coming there.....

Had the PC CEO kept his mouth shut.....Carnival would have had time to reach out to the proper Mobile leadership etc before the announcement.

It would not have changed the outcome, but Carnival would have had the opportunity to handle it properly.
What that tells me is Carnival was working behind the backs of the Mobile officials for quite a while, since the Port Canaveral CEO knew about it while Mobile was kept in the dark. If anything, that makes this even more unseemly.
__________________
Dave
Editor, CruiseReviews.com
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Posts: 11,612
Default
One section of Carnival's Official Press Release could be a little misleading saying "The two vessels are sister ships with largely similar features, amenities and staterooms." I guess unless you discount the Waterworks, Resort Style Pool, and Standard Balcony Cabins on the Ecstasy they are. It was a Big Deal when they added these new features.

The Elation is scheduled for Dry Dock 10/22/11-11/05/11

View Here.

Last edited by Dwayne; 03-12-2011 at 05:03 AM.
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2011, 06:52 AM
LHP's Avatar
LHP LHP is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,560
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
What that tells me is Carnival was working behind the backs of the Mobile officials for quite a while, since the Port Canaveral CEO knew about it while Mobile was kept in the dark. If anything, that makes this even more unseemly.
Dave...I know you are now retired...but surely you still remember how business works...

COMPANIES PLAN AND FORECAST and Carnival could not do either without talking to the other ports they were looking at.

Inferring that Carnival did something "behind Mobile's back" is RIDICULOUS.

Carnival not only HONORED their contract,

but made sure that Mobile got ALL their investment back AND PLUS probably stayed a year longer than they should have.

Last edited by LHP; 03-12-2011 at 06:55 AM.
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 AM
LHP's Avatar
LHP LHP is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,560
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
One section of Carnival's Official Press Release could be a little misleading saying "The two vessels are sister ships with largely similar features, amenities and staterooms." I guess unless you discount the Waterworks, Resort Style Pool, and Standard Balcony Cabins on the Ecstasy they are. It was a Big Deal when they added these new features.

The Elation is scheduled for Dry Dock 10/22/11-11/05/11

View Here.


Bringing the Elation to New Orleans with the Conquest, will return the New Orleans port to the SAME two kinds of ships it had pre-Katrina.

The Sensation did not have all the bells and whistles and did just fine out of New Orleans.

The Elation is by far the prettiest ship of the Fantasy class....and my favorite even without the balconies and waterpark .....
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Dave's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 17,772
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHP View Post
COMPANIES PLAN AND FORECAST and Carnival could not do either without talking to the other ports they were looking at.

Inferring that Carnival did something "behind Mobile's back" is RIDICULOUS.
They shopped around for a new port and didn't let Mobile know they were seriously looking to leave. There aren't too many other ways to look at that fact.
__________________
Dave
Editor, CruiseReviews.com
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 993
Default
Business is Business but I just dont see the logic in putting 2 ships in New Orleans. it is the worst port we have ever cruised out of. it is terribly hard to get to, traffic is horrible. and they are slow parking us.
Carnival said that Mobile just is not supporting the higher prices. I thought carnival set the prices. and Carnival is the one who started the early saver program. I cant wait to see how this all plays out.
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2011, 01:12 PM
LHP's Avatar
LHP LHP is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,560
Default
Dave:

Are you listening to yourself???

Carnival has to get "approval" from Mobile for their every business move????

Do you realize that the Port Canaveral discussion with Carnival was about the ECSTASY...not the ELATION!!!

Why does Carnival have to get Mobile's permission to discuss moving a ship from GALVESTON TO PC????

That is ridiculous.

Once the PC official leaked Ecstasy's move.....Carnival went ahead and announced ALL the changes.

Again...if you want to be mad at someone...be mad at the Mobile cruisers that DID NOT PRODUCE.

Don't be mad at a cruise line that GAVE MOBILE 24 MILLION dollars in improvements AND 6 years of free advertising and promotion.....

And what did Carnival get in return.....LESS MONEY out of those cabins.

Sounds like Carnival is the one that should be mad at Mobile for failing Carnival so miserably.
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Dave's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 17,772
Default
Linda,

Who said they needed permission from Mobile? I didn't. All I'm saying is Carnival should have made it clear to Mobile that if revenues didn't improve they would be taking the Elation to another port. By all accounts that didn't happen. It's called being ethical. You know, corporations can be ethical and not just look at the bottom line and then suddenly cut the cord.

This is getting tiresome. Neither of us is going to change the other's mind. I liked cruising from Mobile, you didn't. I like Carnival but it isn't my favorite line. You are on the opposite end of that from me too. So we both have our prejudices. Let's just leave it at that.

But I will close by saying to other ports with one cruise ship (pick a cruise line)...don't get a comfortable with it. If you do you are setting yourselves up for a fall.
__________________
Dave
Editor, CruiseReviews.com
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2011, 03:09 PM
LHP's Avatar
LHP LHP is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,560
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Linda,

Who said they needed permission from Mobile? I didn't. All I'm saying is Carnival should have made it clear to Mobile that if revenues didn't improve they would be taking the Elation to another port. By all accounts that didn't happen. It's called being ethical. You know, corporations can be ethical and not just look at the bottom line and then suddenly cut the cord.

This is getting tiresome. Neither of us is going to change the other's mind. I liked cruising from Mobile, you didn't. I like Carnival but it isn't my favorite line. You are on the opposite end of that from me too. So we both have our prejudices. Let's just leave it at that.

But I will close by saying to other ports with one cruise ship (pick a cruise line)...don't get a comfortable with it. If you do you are setting yourselves up for a fall.


Carnival honored their contract with Mobile. PERIOD

No way did Carnival OWE Mobile a warning.

For one thing...why warn them?

There is NOTHING Mobile could have done to increase the cabin revenue. That is not in Mobile's power. Mobile can't order people who cruise there to spend more in the Spa or buy more Shore Excursions. Carnival could not raise the rates, because then the ship would not book up.

You think ETHICS are so important, but you have no problem falsely slamming Carnival without acknowledging all the facts?

My posts are not to change your mind. My posts are to object to irresponsible comments of an unreasonable and unprofessional nature. Carnival did not DUMP anyone.

IF anything, Carnival passengers paid for 24 million dollars in improvements for Mobile and all it got in return was unexceptable cabin revenues. Carnival could have been making a lot more money out of another port all these years. In fact, Carnival went PAST its contract period. (longer than they probably should have)

Mobile is the one who owes Carnival an apology for performing so poorly.

This isn't about liking or not liking Carnival. Sure they have been good to DJ ....but I am not married to them. I will tell people really quick what Carnival's faults are.

But for you to FALSELY accuse Carnival of doing something unethical WHEN THEY DID NOT on a public forum is unprofessional.

And again....all these other cruise lines that you like more than Carnival have done the SAME THING at some point in their business career.....so condemning Carnival while giving them a pass is hypocritical.

Guess it is ok that RCCL did not give California a "warning".....
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Dave's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 17,772
Default
(ahem)

I didn't falsely accuse Carnival. I merely stated what I think. Plain and simple. Had it been RCI I would have said the same.

Please be looking for a private message from me regarding compliance with forum rules. I have closed this message thread but will keep it in public view.
__________________
Dave
Editor, CruiseReviews.com
 
Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cay, cayman, city, coco, cruise, cruse, dumpes, dumps, grand, line, mobile, saint, ship, thomas

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruise Line drops single supplement charge jack2007 Solo Cruisers 0 09-10-2009 03:52 PM
Compensation when price drops prior to sailing cruisers2 Norwegian Cruise Line 29 04-25-2009 07:39 AM
Freedom Of The Seas Inaugural Cruise - price drops! Dave Royal Caribbean Cruise Line 22 05-24-2006 12:53 PM
Camp Carnival on Port Days???? swimmersonboard Carnival Cruise Line 7 09-21-2005 05:01 AM
Fall Price drops mattinla Royal Caribbean Cruise Line 1 08-17-2002 09:17 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
 

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Contact Us - Terms of Use - Cruise Reviews Home - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2