Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Carnival dumps Mobile as a homeport (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/36692-carnival-dumps-mobile-homeport.html)

tim c 03-10-2011 12:17 PM

Carnival dumps Mobile as a homeport

Mobile has been dropped? I am reading on there blog that Carnival will have no cruises leaving there.. Is this right!!

tim c 03-10-2011 12:20 PM

here is the link that says it

Carnival to Launch New One-of-a-Kind Short Cruise Program From Port Canaveral | Carnival Cruise Lines News

Jim C. 03-10-2011 12:22 PM

Yup that is what I just read.. Dave isn't going to like that.....

penny3333 03-10-2011 12:43 PM

Well, now, that's not very nice. I wonder if it's because Alabama couldn't expand the port? It's really a shame, it's the closest port we have and no one but Carnival went there. Oh well, looks like Alabama is in for more loss of revenue.

tim c 03-10-2011 12:44 PM

I wont like it! Mobile was a nice 6hr drive and they have a nice port.. I was reading that ir was because the prices were just to cheap and they could'nt get them up, Shame, I hope another cruiseline goes in there! we will go...

Dave 03-10-2011 01:55 PM

Here is our version of the press release.

Dave 03-10-2011 02:04 PM

Carnival made a business decision based on pricing they get for Mobile cruises. Fine. I'll make my business decision too, and this move means I'll be cruising much less with Carnival now. The 2 hours extra it takes to drive to NOLA makes a difference to me, plus the hassles of parking and so forth in NOLA. I see much more Celebrity and RCI in my future, since if I have to fly I'll prefer those lines to Carnival.

Dave 03-10-2011 02:25 PM

Reports are coming in on this move. Carnival gave no hint to Mobile it was dropping the port until one hour prior to the public announcement being released. I don't like that, especially when Carnival's CEO makes a public statement 'thanking the port of Mobile' after he stabs them in the back. The city just spent $1 million dollars to buy more land for parking and other upgrades to the port facility.

LisaP 03-10-2011 02:37 PM

We cruised out of Mobile last year and fell in love with the city, so it is a real shame to read this. And, we're not even a reasonable driving distance -- we had to fly 6 hours total on two planes to get there. Our pre-cruise stay was so enjoyable that knowing that we had a post-cruise stay, as well, made getting off the ship at the end of the cruise a little easier. I was hoping to make another cruise out of Mobile at some point. Perhaps now, I'll just visit Mobile and feed the local economy that way.

Dwayne 03-11-2011 02:30 AM

I heard rumors of the ships being moved yesterday before the press release. I thought it was just part of the normal Ship Shuffle. I had no idea they were not going to replace the Elation until I read the official press release.

I certainly can understand the disappointment some folks are feeling with this business decision. I would feel the same way if they pulled out of Charleston. That is unlikely though I hope, as the Fantasy is garnering much higher cruise fares than the Elation did from Mobile. I am not privy to the onboard revenues to make a comparison of them. Another factor may have been the distance the Elation had to sail to her ports and the impact it had on fuel expenditures per sailing. It's always going to come down to the bottom line profitability. I'm not sure the Elation will do all that much better competing with the Fascination from Jacksonville and the Sensation already at Port Canaveral. Then again I don't have a beard or eat tofu.:)

One would think the Bahamas cruise market would be reaching saturation at this point.