Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 03:15 PM

Default Compromise between diver/non-diver
We are going on a cruise stopping at Roatan and Belieze. I love to scuba but my wife and my kids (4 & 9) don't-they love to snorkel. I am looking for some info on the ports that the Triumph usually stops at. Ideally I am looking for a spot where we could get to that has some great snorkeling for them but also a dive shop that I could pick up a tank and do a shore dive from the same location.

I hate the idea of going down there and missing out on some of the best diving in the world but if I can't arrange something prior to the cruise I will probably leave the bulk of my dive gear at home.

Thanks for any info.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruisereviews.

Actually, what you are looking for is fairly common. Many of the tours offer both diving and snorkeling.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 PM

Thanks, I wasn't looking for something offered by the ship (Well, actually we had looked for those but they didn't have anything.)

I am looking for someone with experience with the ports that could maybe tell me where to go (or even what port the ship pulls into)
Old 03-14-2011, 07:13 AM

Hi OldNSalty, welcome to CruiseReviews. Most all of the diving tours will go to stops that you can snorkel. In Belize, we did a snorkel of the reef. They picked us up at the ship, took us to the reef, then took us to a private island. I don't remember if they had a diving tour there, but the reef is definitely shallow enough to snorkel and where we anchored was probably about 30' deep. You don't dock in Belize, they anchor there and have tenders that take you to the city or on your excursions.

In Roatan, you will probably dock at Mahogany Bay, unless it's too windy for them to port. Then they'll dock at Coxen Hole. Mahogany Bay has a nice beach area where you can snorkel, but no diving equipment to rent that I saw. I only saw snorkeling equipment.

If you're going to Cozumel, too, there are some dive shops close to the port. I have done a beach dive in Cozumel, but that was years ago and it was through the ship. Sorry, I don't remember the outfit that did it.

I really believe your best bet would be to book the diving excursion. I'm sure they'd be able to snorkel the area. You might check with shoretrips.com and see if they offer anything in those ports. Just be sure to leave enough time to get back to the ship.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 PM

Tabyana Beach is in Roatan...I rode by there but did not stop when I was at Roatan last year. I understand they have a very nice snorkling area, but also a nice beach.

In the past, there was a place called Bannister Island in Belize, but after the issues Carnival had with the Belize Tender operators, not sure if people from Carnival ships are going there now.

But, the good news is Carnival is going to Belize again and seem to have settled with the operators. If you see that available, I know some who went on that trip last year and they said Bannister was wonderful...nice beach and also fantastic snorkeling.

The great thing about both locations is that they are on the second longest reef in the world..and both have some very good locations for diving or snorkeling.

Closed Thread

Tags
bannister, bay, belize, carnival, cruise, cruises, dive, diving, gear, good, island, mahogany, review, scuba, snorkeling