Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   WIFI-Ipad (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/36723-wifi-ipad.html)

Casanova frankenstein 03-14-2011 01:06 PM

WIFI-Ipad

Hi Guys

Here is the deal I'm planing to buy an IPAD 2 with wifi in order to make Video-calls over the internet to my family here in the Island while I'm Cruising. The way I see maybe it is cheaper than using my cellphone service in rooming. But In order to clarify my mind and make a good choice I have a few questions:

1. How Much is the price for an Internet package in a Carnival Ship?

2. Do the have Hotspots (WIFI) so I can Use it without getting out my cabin??

3. Do they usually have WIFI service or hotspots service included in the internet package??

I have tried to look for thsi in the carnival website but I have not been lucky so far

Thanks for everything

Dave 03-14-2011 02:32 PM

Look here. Scroll down to find the internet information.

Casanova frankenstein 03-15-2011 04:05 PM

Thank you DAVE that was INFO what I was looking for...

Jabee 03-15-2011 08:36 PM

also

you will normally find the first day that they will offer some specials or give away extra minutes for signing up the first day.

Also look out for a drawing for free minutes.

The service is pretty good but can be very slow. You should have access in your cabin no matter where you are, but at the worst case, you can go to the Internet Cafe (on all ships) and set up there.

There are a few sites available for free, such as Carnival.com.

gdjoslin 03-15-2011 08:49 PM

We usually take our laptop. On our last two cruises (one Carnival one HAL) my wife used skype. The internet connection is just too slow.
While the offer is the the service really is not IMHO.

tim c 03-16-2011 04:27 AM

I wonder if my Magic Javk would work.. Needs less speed the Skype..

Casanova frankenstein 03-16-2011 05:51 PM

^^^^^
Good idea and its worth the try
the cellphone cost in roaming on my last cruise was not one of my best ideas anyway

Jim C. 03-21-2011 07:48 AM

The data rates you get on the ship are going to make using Skype and or Video calls all but impossible. Since they are using satellites fro the network connection, the delay will also kill the voice /video quality. (You will notice at least seconds of delay in video and definitely have so much delay in the voices that you will think you are talking to someone on the moon) It is like the old days when you made an overseas call, the delay was so bad that you had to say something... wait a second fro the other person to receive what you said and then get an response back. All that time waiting while you are being charge per minute charges to be connected.

You will be much better off it you have a smart phone or the ipad connected via WiFi (not through the cellular connection) and use the text messaging part.