Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 11:56 AM

Default How far in advance to book?
Hello,
We are thinking of taking a cruise in December (not during Christmas) how far in advance should we book? Where do we get the best price? We would like a balcony and be in a quiet area, away from the sounds of nightclubs/restaurant. Someone told me a category 8C would be good. We are going on the Carnival Legend.
Thanks for any help. This would be our first cruise.

Last edited by lindalee23; 03-19-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:10 PM

Default Welcome
Hi Linda...welcome...

You sound like this is your first cruise. Please ask all the questions you can think of a there are a lot of people on here who can help.

I always book as far in advance as I can, because if the price goes down you can take advantage up to 90 days before you sail.

I have often booked, and seen the price drop. As an example, last year with the oil spill a lot of people dropped off cruises from the coast and the prices dropped, and I was able to get a reduction of over $100 each!!

Also, if they have one of their famous sales, I have sometimes gotten the opportunity to improve my room...I got a Lido deck room last year!

I have been all over the ships and never had a problem with noise. The one time I ever heard anything I was under the kitchen, and heard some noise of things being moved around over head, but it did not keep me awake or anything. Everybody has their preference, I like to be up front and close to the elevators.

PREVIOUS CRUISES

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Elation (1) Feb. 12, 2011
Carnival Triumph (2) March 13, 2010; Oct. 16, 2010
Carrnival Fantasy (4) Oct. 15, 2007; Oct 27, 2008; March 2, 2009; Nov. 11, 2009
Carnival Holiday (2) Dec. 27, 2007 & Dec. 31, 2007
NCL Sun (1) on March 11, 2007
Carnival Glory (1) Sept. 16, 2006
Carnival Celebration (2) Dec. 31, 2005; March 20, 2006
Carnivall Conquest (1) Oct 9-16, 2005
Old 03-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Since I'm psychotically addicted to cruising , I book whenever there's a good deal and/or I get the itch. Good to keep an eye out on the cruise lines' websites and sign up for their e-newsletters. We sometimes book up to 14 months in advance ... we just can't help ourselves. I know some people book even farther in advance than that, and other people go on a whim the next week. It all depends on how much you like to plan, how flexible your schedule is and what deals are out there. If you do book far in advance, ask your cruise consultant what happens if the price goes down in the meantime. Seems like a lot of the lines have different policies, and some will adjust your price or give you onboard credit, etc. Good luck!

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 03-19-2011, 02:26 PM

Thank you Jabee for the reply.
Yes, this is our first cruise. How do I learn the differences in the decks?
I see the deck plans but to be honest I sure don't know what the better decks to be on.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:15 PM

Thank you Cortney, it's so new to me and I do not know what deck would be best.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalee23 View Post
Hello,
We are thinking of taking a cruise in December (not during Christmas) how far in advance should we book? Where do we get the best price? We would like a balcony and be in a quiet area, away from the sounds of nightclubs/restaurant. Someone told me a category 8C would be good. We are going on the Carnival Legend.
Thanks for any help. This would be our first cruise.
Hi, I would book as far in advance as you can afford. This gives you a better cabin selection. All of the pricing for Carnival should be the same unless you run across an agency that has group space blocked at a lower price. Also ask about any special rates you may be eligible for like Resident Rates, Military Rates, etc. Whoever told you that 8C would be a good cabin location for minimum noise was spot on. That would have been my recommendation as well.

Congrats, on your first cruise. You picked a beautiful ship!

Dwayne
Old 03-20-2011, 05:35 AM

Thank you Dwayne. I am so glad to have found this forum. You are a great group of people.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 AM

Welcome to the best cruise forums on the internet!

I agree with everyone else above that booking as early as possible is the way to go, especially if you have an interest in being in a specific cabin or part of the ship. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to book and finding out that all of your favorite ship locations are unavailable.

But just remember, the bottom line is that it is really difficult not to have a great time on a cruise, no matter where your stateroom is. I have found over the years that I am usually pleasantly surprised when I have to take a room on another part of the ship. There may be some other advantage like having to take fewer flights of stairs to the dining room or possibly the theater.

Have a great time and make sure and let us know how much you loved your first cruise!

Take care,

Brad

Old 03-20-2011, 11:18 AM

it is never too early to book a cruise. I love booking it then planning and researching my plans. I love everything about it.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:53 AM

I know here on the West Coast our Dec and Jan cruises seem to book up in a hurry. I guess it's all the snow birds heading for warmer climates.
As others said it is never too early to book. We are booked for Oct 2011 and July 2012 right now.

Have fun on your cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
advance, book, booking, caribbean, carnival, cruise, cruises, fare, long, made, payment, people, price, royal, southern, year