Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 10:54 AM

Default Which port to snorkel at???
I will be sailing on Carnival's Victory, the Southern Caribbean 7 day cruise. It makes stops in St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, and Barbados. For the most part my mother and I want to relax, but we are both excited to snorkel or possibly Snuba. Does anyone recommend one island over another for this? We may do up to 2 snorkeling/SNUBA excursions. Any advice will be extremely helpful. God bless.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:05 AM

Mel_mae...Welcome to the forums!!!

I have personally snorkeled in both St. Thomas and St. Maarten and found both to be fantastic! My favorite of the two was in St. Thomas...you can take a ferry to St. John and go to Trunk Bay beach where they have snorkel equipment for rent for $5. Then you can enjoy the beach and enjoy the underwater snorkel trail at your leisure. They have signs underwater that explain everything and it is really quite relaxing.

I have found that due to weather, taking snorkeling excursions can be hit or miss. If it has been windy, rainy or rough in the days leading up to the trip, the water may not be as clear as usual. It seems to me that Trunk Bay is more protected and it has always been crystal clear there for me.

Just my two cents.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!

Brad

Old 03-27-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel_mae79 View Post
I will be sailing on Carnival's Victory, the Southern Caribbean 7 day cruise. It makes stops in St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, and Barbados. For the most part my mother and I want to relax, but we are both excited to snorkel or possibly Snuba. Does anyone recommend one island over another for this? We may do up to 2 snorkeling/SNUBA excursions. Any advice will be extremely helpful. God bless.
Welcome to CruiseReviews!

I can second the idea of going over to St. Johns from St. Thomas and visiting Trunk Bay. It is a great and beautiful place to snorkel. It is in the US Virgin Islands National Park. Jim C. wrote a good FAQ article about getting to St. John. You can find it Here.

Carnival used to offer a really good snorkel excursion on Barbados that included snorkeling over a small shipwreck and some beach time. Let me see if I can find it and I will post back.

Penny is really an expert on snorkeling. Hopefully she will see this tomorrow.

Welcome aboard,
Dwayne
Old 03-27-2011, 06:02 PM

I couldn't find the exact same Barbados excursion. They have changed it to include drinks and re-named it. They also increased the price somewhat. It is basically the same one except with booze/drinks included. The shipwreck was really neat to snorkel over. More information is located HERE.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:06 PM

I think there is an official ship's excursion that goes to Trunk Bay, however, if you simply get there by yourself, you can spend approximately two to three more hours enjoying the beach.

Definitely check out the FAQ about it...I read it again today and was just there a few months ago and the FAQ is still spot on. I know it sounds like a hassle, however, it really isn't that difficult, especially considering that there will probably be about a hundred other cruise passengers doing the same thing.

Good luck and please reply if you have any questions.

Brad

Old 03-28-2011, 09:07 AM

St. Thomas and Barbados are two of my favorites. I do Trunk Bay when in St. Thomas or take a catamaran or sailboat. Barbados we use the Tiami catamaran, we've done them 6 times. The last time we went to a beach that was near the Folkstone Underwater Marine park, the cab driver took us there. It was really nice and we snorkeled from there to the marine park and back. The last time we went to St. Maarten we did the TikiHut snorkel. The operators were great! The snorkeling was pretty good for St. Maarten, but the best part was there was no time limit. They'd let you stay as long as you liked and would then drop you off in town or back to the ship for shopping. St. Lucia is nice at the Petons, St. Kitts don't waste your money snorkeling.

Hope you have a marvelous cruise!
Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM

St Maarten has some great scuba sites and some good dive masters. A dive shop is within walking distance (I will try to find the name) off to your right. They offer several nice dives. St Johns is a US National Park and has a good sized underwater "trail" with markers saying what you are looking at in that area. It is a good snorkel trip. Barbados always has so many things for me to do that I rarely make it into the water, usually I am on a big cat relaxing (several nice ones to choose from on island)or shopping.

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, carnival, cruise, good, google, kitts, maarten, myrtle, reviews, snorkel, snorkeling, snorkle, snorokeling, st, trunk