Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 03:56 PM

Red face Sensation good vs. bad
Anyone have anything good to say about the Sensation recently? I keep reading bad reviews and not finding any good ones.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-04-2011, 06:18 PM

Hugs...Welcome to Cruise-chat! If you want information regarding all things related to cruising, you have come to the right place.

I read through some of the reviews of which you speak and understand why you would ask this question. My advice is to not worry about it and enjoy your trip!

Please understand that for whatever reason, people who perceive that they have had a bad experience tend to write reviews and are more vocal about their experience than those that had a very positive experience. That is why it seems like there are a lot of negative reviews on the Sensation. Of course, I think this is fairly common knowledge, however, I have found that the best way to judge this is by reading reviews of your particular cruise when you get back. I have been amazed by some of the negative things that people said about a particular cruise that I had been on, when my experience was completely different! There are just some people out there that aren't happy with their lives and they seem to think that it is everyone else around them, rather that a problem with them. Now, I am not saying that some of the negative reviews aren't true, I am just saying that you have to take them with a grain of salt. When you read a review, if there are objective observations that are both good and bad, then to me it is much more believable than someone who states that everything about the trip completely sucked. I can't imagine having an experience like that on a Carnival cruise.

For example, folks who complain about having to dine with the same table of people every night simply haven't done their homework. A little research into cruising would go a long way towards avoiding such "boring" conditions. Some complained of being rushed through their freestyle dining...and I'll just bet that they were showing up with only thirty minutes left to dine! Anyone claiming that all of their food on a Carnival cruise was "flavorless" and "bland" clearly must have a problem with their taste buds. On all of my cruises, I have only had two dining room main dishes that I can think of that I didn't like and that was simply a matter of personal preference. I still ate them and it was better than eating what I would have made at home, anyway.

The bottom line is that you shouldn't worry about the negative reviews that you have read. Just board the ship with an open mind and I bet you have a whale of a good time.

I am sure that Dwayne or one of the other Carnival experts can be more specific regarding the Sensation.

Have a great time!

Brad

Old 04-05-2011, 06:57 AM

Awesome reply, Brad! You hit the nail on the head. I haven't sailed the Sensation, but would go tomorrow without hesitation. Every Carnival ship I've been on has been a great experience. Now granted, three of them were ancient, but since modern times, I've been very impressed with their ships. The crew/staff have always been courteous and professional, the food has been very, very good. I get accused of selling the chocolate melting cake, but it is just divine!!!

Hugs516, I really wish I had recently been on the Sensation to assure you totally. I totally agree with Brad. For some reason people will write negative comments long before they'll write positive ones. The only thing I can say is, try to imagine the 3000 guests weekly that have had a good time compared to the few negative reviews. The numbers simply outweigh the negativity.

Yes, things do go wrong on cruises. The ships are floating cities and things break down. The crew members can have bad days. Just remember, they will do as much as they can to rectify any problems that arise. Most people believe they deserve a free cruise because of some problem, that's just not going to happen. If it's a major problem, like the ship becomes stranded, the cruise line will try their best to make it right. However, if the blow dryer doesn't blow hot air, they're not going to give the guest a free cruise.

I hope this helps to ease some of your fears
Old 04-05-2011, 02:33 PM

Thanks penny and wheels, I agree that people are more willing to write negative reviews than positive ones. I plan on having a grand time and writing a review about it!

I guess the thing that bothers me most is I am having a hard time finding any recent reviews. But not to worry, my expectation is to have a great trip.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:59 AM

The fact you haven't found recent reviews tells me that many, many, many passengers have had a great time. I can't wait to read your review! I'll bet you'll be ready to book her again, before you return
Old 04-06-2011, 01:20 PM

Hugs...I have been on the Sensation three times and had a super time all three cruises. They are short and sweet and handy for us in Florida to take without too much planning. The only problem we encountered is very long, slow lines at the lido buffet, but I don't think anyone has ever or will ever starve on a ship! AND if you're in that big a hurry, try another line!

I did, however, have a very bad cruise on the Fascination last July. We had noisy, rude drunks for neighbors, a cabin steward that was nowhere to be found and ignored my repeated requests for ice and clean glasses, and a head waiter that was so rude to me the first evening that we didn't go back for the other 3 nights. And I was so mad, I wrote a review without any praise for the cruise (completely ignoring spending time with my dad, son and other friendly people on the ship, the weather was perfect, the ports of call great). All I did was complain about the stuff I hated. I complained to Guest Services and wrote a letter to Carnival when I returned home.

Of course, I got a letter of apology, blah, blah, but the main thing I did that made a big difference was I BOOKED ANOTHER CRUISE ON THE FASCINATION in October. This time, it was so much better. I think we had the best cabin steward anywhere and a head waiter that was a riot and wonderful neighbors. I just couldn't believe I'd had such a bad first cruise and a wonderful second cruise.

So, my point is that even if someone writes a review about a bad cruise, it doesn't mean every sailing is bad. I guess the crew have to put up with a lot and you can only imagine what it must be like to have several passengers assigned to you either in the dining room or cabins, that are mean-spirited or really demanding. It puts everyone in a foul mood and would certainly affect the crew's performance.

I've been on 19 cruises with Carnival and have two more booked (one next week - woo-hoo) and another in October. I am looking forward to them as much as I did my first cruise, maybe more. I also expect to have a wonderful time even if I read reviews where someone else didn't.

Make each cruise your own. If you have a bad experience, try it again. I still think reviews are good even with the bad. Kinda keeps us all humble!

Have a great time and write your own review when you get back.

Bon Voyage!
Mary

Old 04-06-2011, 01:44 PM

Wonderful post, Marylovestocruise! Oh, and bon voyage!!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Wow, only three more days until you get to go on your cruise. I am so jealous!

Have a great time and be sure to report back to us how it went.

Good luck,

Brad

Old 04-06-2011, 04:38 PM

Thumbs up
Wonderful post, Mary!

I can't really can't add much as I haven't been on the Sensation since 1996. I have read some good reviews however. In fact I just read one today. Sometimes you just have to separate the wheat from the chaff when reading reviews as Brad earlier noted. I have seen the Sensation recently and she looks great on the exterior.

Mary - I too had a not so great cruise on the Fascination a few years ago due to a few rude staff. I went back again and had a wonderful cruise.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:54 AM

Default also...
Note..that the Sensation only does either three day or four day trips.

On short hops like that, a lot of people do not get the full feel of cruising. Not as many shows, not as many times to dine, etc.

But, the Sensation does have the full Evolution of Fun upgrades, with the water park, serenity deck and lido deck upgrades. So, you should find plenty to do.

In Port Canavarel, they also have the Ecstacy coming to do four and five night trips and the Dream does seven night trips.

PREVIOUS CRUISES

Carnival Elation (1) Feb. 12, 2011
Carnival Triumph (2) March 13, 2010; Oct. 16, 2010
Carrnival Fantasy (4) Oct. 15, 2007; Oct 27, 2008; March 2, 2009; Nov. 11, 2009
Carnival Holiday (2) Dec. 27, 2007 & Dec. 31, 2007
NCL Sun (1) on March 11, 2007
Carnival Glory (1) Sept. 16, 2006
Carnival Celebration (2) Dec. 31, 2005; March 20, 2006
Carnivall Conquest (1) Oct 9-16, 2005

Closed Thread

Tags
bad, carnival, cruise, dryers, feeling, forums, good, hair, review, reviews, sensation, ship, ships, things, weather