Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 06:46 AM

Default Carnival Freedom or Norwegian Epic
Our family is planning a cruise for March 2012 and have narrowed down the list to 2 ships and itineraries. I'm a first time cruiser and looking for advice from experienced cruisers to help me make a final decision. The Epic is a newer boat and will keep my 13 & 17 very busy on the days at sea. But I love the itinerary of the Freedom, and don't know if there is enough on the boat to keep the kids happy. Mom & Dad will be happy at all the ports, but we want the kids to enjoy everything also. Norwegian is putting out some great offers almost too hard to resist, were as Carnival has no great offers, just great ports. With airfare starting to come out, I have to make a decision soon as one is a seven day cruise and the other is an 8 day.

Carnival Freedom-8 days Southern Caribbean-Ft Lauderdale, Sea, Grand Turk Turks & Caicos, La Romana Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba, Sea, Sea, Ft Lauderdale

Norwegian Epic -7 days Eastern Caribbean-Miami, Sea, Sea,, St. Martin, St Thomas USVI, Sea, Nassau Bahamas, Miami

We don't want to tour or shop, just relax on the beautiful beaches of each port we visit.

HELP!

Last edited by Nann; 04-17-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:38 PM
The Carnival Freedom, does have an excellent Itinerary, the majority of the ports I have went to and experienced, they are all great destinations. However if you are wanting to make sure the kids are satisfied then, Carnival does have a great kids program. I myself have been on Carnival and they are GREAT with the kids, and its always so much for them to be able to do on the ship. I have heard great things about the Epic as well and how the kids on that ship have some activities, but I have heard they are limited. I would suggest if you are wanting the kids to be happy and entertained then I would go with Carnival. One thing with cruising sometimes you get great ports and the ship may not be one you may want go go on, or vice versa. You pretty much have to weight out the options so all will be happy. I would definatley consider Carnival since kids are traveling with you.

Caribbean Resort Reviews
Old 04-16-2011, 01:34 PM

Thanks! I'm so confused, they both look great and don't know which way to go.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:09 PM

Nann,
You left Nassau, Bahamas off the list of ports for the NCL Epic.

I have to disagree that the NCL Epic has limited activities for children. The NCL Epic probably actually has more for your children's ages. They have bowling alleys, an Aqua Park with water slides, batting cage, rock climbing wall, repelling wall, Basketball/volleyball court, jogging track, Teen's Club, and Spider Web Climb. Your children may also enjoy on the Epic the entertainment of Blue Man Group (free), or the Circus dinner show (fee).
Old 04-16-2011, 08:25 PM

I like the more souther ports of Aruba & Curacao, also Grand Turks. So my vote is for the Freedom. I would not be concerned about the sea days on either ship. There are always things to do and the 13 yr old will fit good with the ship's teen program. your 17 yr old will probably not want a teen program no matter what ship you sail. Most older teens like to make their own friends and do their own thing. The Freedom has a seaside movie screen that is a big hit with teens and adults. I like NCL and would have said to go with their new Epic but I like the Freedom ports a lot more. Let us know what you decide.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Fanatic View Post
Nann,
You left Nassau, Bahamas off the list of ports for the NCL Epic.

I have to disagree that the NCL Epic has limited activities for children. The NCL Epic probably actually has more for your children's ages. They have bowling alleys, an Aqua Park with water slides, batting cage, rock climbing wall, repelling wall, Basketball/volleyball court, jogging track, Teen's Club, and Spider Web Climb. Your children may also enjoy on the Epic the entertainment of Blue Man Group (free), or the Circus dinner show (fee).
I did forget Nassau, thanks for catching that. I agree the Epic does have a lot on the boat, I'm unsure of the ports. Too bad the Epic wasn't going to the ports of the Freedom, I wouldn't have to choose between ships.

Last edited by Nann; 04-17-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:22 AM

Thanks! I will let you know in the next couple of weeks.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:19 PM

We were on the Freedom, eastern in January of this year. I have a 12 year old, and he loved the Circle C so much we did not see him alot. At dinner time all he wanted to know was what time it was so he could go and spend time with the other kids. I have never seen my child be so happy as he was that week. I love looking at the pictures we have and seeing him smile. I hope you kids enjoy themselves as much as my son did.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:52 PM

Nann, the Epic also has a western route. They go to Belize, Roatan, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. The Epic is a fabulous ship and so is the Freedom. Both ships will keep your children busy. I personally LOVED the water slides on the Epic. I watched them climb the rock wall. The Blue Man Group was a fabulous show. If your children don't want to go, let me know. I'd be happy to go Seriously, though, either cruise line will be a wonderful experience for them.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:40 PM

Default freedom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nann View Post
Our family is planning a cruise for March 2012 and have narrowed down the list to 2 ships and itineraries. I'm a first time cruiser and looking for advice from experienced cruisers to help me make a final decision. The Epic is a newer boat and will keep my 13 & 17 very busy on the days at sea. But I love the itinerary of the Freedom, and don't know if there is enough on the boat to keep the kids happy. Mom & Dad will be happy at all the ports, but we want the kids to enjoy everything also. Norwegian is putting out some great offers almost too hard to resist, were as Carnival has no great offers, just great ports. With airfare starting to come out, I have to make a decision soon as one is a seven day cruise and the other is an 8 day.

Carnival Freedom-8 days Southern Caribbean-Ft Lauderdale, Sea, Grand Turk Turks & Caicos, La Romana Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba, Sea, Sea, Ft Lauderdale

Norwegian Epic -7 days Eastern Caribbean-Miami, Sea, Sea,, St. Martin, St Thomas USVI, Sea, Nassau Bahamas, Miami

We don't want to tour or shop, just relax on the beautiful beaches of each port we visit.

HELP!
would try norweigian, just got off freedom, not happy

Closed Thread

Tags
activities, carnival, children, cruise, cruises, crusies, daoes, day, epic, freedom, itinerary, kid, noregion, norweigon, review, reviews, southern