Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 05:16 PM

Default Silent Debarkation?
Anyone else had this, and how did it go? This is where they don't call numbers. They did this last week on the Fantasy. It seemed to go pretty well, granted I slept through it and can't make an accurate assessment. Something makes me think it wouldn't work well on the larger ships. It was nice to get a few hours extra sleep and not have to hear the numbers being called.

The Empress Deck folks were supposed to go to the Universe Lounge. It pays to go to the Debarkation Talk, as I didn't know this. So they had the Empress Deck corridor doors closed to the lobby. Luckily a Cabin Steward told me to just open it and I went on in to the Lobby and "pinged" out.

One of the last ones off the ship as usual. Hey, it makes your luggage easy to find.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:15 AM

Wow, Dwayne, that sounds quite interesting. Is that a new Carnival policy that they are trying out on select ships?

I only live 45 minutes from the port of Mobile and will not be in any big hurry to get off of the ship when I return on the Elation. I wonder if they will be doing it there as well?

Take care,

Brad

Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 AM

Welcome back, Dwayne! Hope you had a marvelous time, but of course, you were on a cruise I haven't heard of that, but it sounds like Princess. They have you go to different lounges, then the crew member lets you know when it's time to go. I HATE leaving the ship, I always get teary. However, you know you have to leave and it's not a bad way to debark.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:30 PM

Brad - I really don't know if it is possibly unique to just the Fantasy due to the current terminal shuttle situation in Charleston, or is on some of the other ships. I will try to find out.

Penny - Thank you so much, I had a wonderful time. It just went too fast. Chocolate Melting Cake melts faster while you are eating it than when you are trying to melt it off your gut!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:06 PM
As Penny said, Princess has been doing this for a couple of years now; your color group goes to a specific lounge at a time specified in the debarkation information you receive with your luggage tags. It's so nice not to have to listen to the endless announcements. And they don't take you to the gangway until the previous group has cleared--no standing in line.

It's so simple and works so well I'm surprised everyone dosen't use the system.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:17 AM

Default Question
I am wondering what time you have to leave the ship. If you fly out of the port city at 3 p.m. do you have to get off the ship right away or can you take your time. What about the Carnival shuttles to the airport? Do they only run until a certain time of day? I don't want to sit in the airport any longer than I have to.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:15 PM
On Holland America you are free to be wherever you need / want to be prior to debarkation, even remaining in your cabin having room service breakfast until your color is called. Maybe less people makes a difference? I don't think I would like being told I need to hang out and be waiting until . . .
Old 05-12-2011, 12:15 PM

Yes Princess has been doing this for the past 5 years and it's wonderful.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Brad - I really don't know if it is possibly unique to just the Fantasy due to the current terminal shuttle situation in Charleston, or is on some of the other ships. I will try to find out.

Penny - Thank you so much, I had a wonderful time. It just went too fast. Chocolate Melting Cake melts faster while you are eating it than when you are trying to melt it off your gut!
According to my daughter and her husband, who crew on the Fantasy, Charleston has been very vocal about the noise the ship makes when in port from the announcements. I believe this is the response to the town and not some new experiment or system. Was it a Sunday morning when they would be really upset at announcements drifting in competing with the sermons?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:44 PM

Van Beach, you do have to be off of the ship by 9:30-10am, unfortunately. I totally understand not wanting to hang at the airport. Some of the airports near ports have luggage service, so you can leave your bags and can grab a cab and go somewhere. You can also take an after cruise excursion, if you'd like.

Closed Thread

Tags
america, carnival, charleston, charlestonsc, cruise, debarkation, fantasy, holland, line, lines, norwegian, ship, shuttle, silent, time