Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Administrator

I was looking at some CDC statistics yesterday. In 1997 ~25% of the U.S. adult population smoked. In 2009 that had declined to ~21%. Not really that much of a drop, and I suspect it hasn't gone down appreciably in that past two years.

So, you essentially have the same smoking population today as you had during the Paradise experiment with zero tolerance for smoking aboard. That program fizzled within 5 years and the ship started allowing smoking in 2003.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Let me get this numbers the people over a carnival cruise is around 3000 cruisers more or less per cruise...10% of that is 300 close around 75% of that 300 is married with no kids this gives around 500 less cruisers for every one if they decide to put this as a full no smoking cruise
so is arround 2000 less for month just in Puerto Rico on the carnival victory gives us the grand total of 24000 cruiser less for year

so if each one of them pays arround $600 overall
CARNIVAL IS LOSSING AROUND $14,400,000 per year
not so good for business

I will not cruise on a no smoking cruise
in way more logic for me is to stay on the caribbean if this come.
also if I cannot smoke what is the reason to get a balcony??
I already been on it in the past just cause I am a smoker and If I will have to leave my cabin everytime I will like to smoke is a no brainer...

my question

If I have a balcony and I don't smoke inside my cabin and then stuard says I did so
what rights I have to not pay the $250 extra?? are there any way to prove that I did not do it??

Or can they just say "you do it and have to pay no matter what"

This may be the reason to get a few extra $$$ fast without effort who knows...
Old 06-17-2011, 02:17 PM

They are not stupid enough to do a full non smoking policy. The revenue loss is just too great. You can restrict smoking but a smoker can not go 7 days (or 4 days for that matter) without being able to smoke.

They are also not going to be able to charge the $250 cleaning fee without proving the passenger was smoking in the cabin. They have this policy in place on the ships with SPA cabins (no smoking in the cabin and the $250 fee). So they already have experience with this.

My issue is if you have people smoking on the balconies, then they need to be able to provide ash trays for the balcony... The ashtrays are going to get left outside I am sure.. I think this encourages balcony smoking and throwing the buts overboard which we all know is dangerous (as seen with the Star Princess fire) I hope they have a plan to reduce this risk.

As far as the "lost" revenue, I wonder how many people really WILL cancel because of the smoking rules leading to lost revenue and then I wonder how much it costs Carnival to do the extra cleaning and washing and linen changes after a smoker leaves a cabin. I am sure it would not replace the $14 million your calculated out Cas, but I am sure that factors into the equation also.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 06-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Please all....Smoking sucks!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:56 AM
I will miss the cigar bars....

I will NOT miss the smoke filled piano bars.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 06-18-2011, 07:23 AM

I am sad to report that we have just booked our LAST Carnival cruise departing in October. I am sick and tired of various entities (Carnival, the government on ALL levels) attempting to regulate my behavior. I am a very considerate smoker. I never, ever toss a butt anywhere, do not impose my habit on non-smokers and I resent being treated like a criminal. I understand perfectly and agree with the idea of banning smoking on one side or the other of a ship. I sailed Princess when it was their policy and everyone seemed happy enough.
I think Carnival will miss me and the other smokers, along with our money.
I absolutely refuse, on principle, to do future business with Carnival until they become more reasonable.

Last edited by 2Roses; 06-18-2011 at 07:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Actually the 14,400,000 is per ship but I don't know how many ships carnival have at the moment so I know is far more than that thawas just for the carnival victory.

i found a way to avoid the problem of smoking in the balcony and the left over cigarettes, just use a glass with little water on it, that way not even ash comes out of the balcony and I fell more safe...just remember to tell the stuard to left it there when he do the cleaning...
Old 07-23-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I don't remember if I received a survey after the Elation cruise last summer. If I did it was in e-mail with a link.

And also, all the Cigar Bars are smoke-free. Uh, okay. I guess they need to stop calling them cigar bars.

Yes indeed, the Fantasy class ships are really hit hard by these changes. Less so for the other ship classes. One issue I see is the Fantasy class ships do mostly short cruises, which tend to attract passengers who are more likely to want to drink, gamble, and smoke. Also, passengers who have lower incomes and can only afford a 3 or 4 night cruise. Statistics show a higher instance of smoking among that demographic.

Surely Carnival wouldn't do anything that could impact revenues without running the numbers. We'll see.
Dave,
Not all of us that take the 3-4 day cruises are "lower income and can only afford a 3-4 night cruise." It's all about personal preference, sometimes that is the only cruise that will fit our schedule and so forth..I don't think, at least I wouldn't hope, that that comment was an insult, but to me that is what is sounded like
Old 07-23-2011, 07:12 AM
Administrator

I apologize if you took it that way. That was not my intent. I was referring to statistics for that demographic, and not broad brushing everyone who takes short cruises. I was also talking about the older ships, which do the short itineraries, and they are the ships hardest hit by the new smoking rules.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:02 AM

As a smoker and a new cruiser I am disappointed in this new policy. I took my first cruise in April and was pleasantly surprised at all the different areas that allowed me to light up. My husband and I decided to go with a balcony room so that we could smoke outside even when in our room. I certainly hope they don't take smoking on the balcony away. We spent most of our time in the cigar lounge so that we could smoke. Now I'm not sure where we will go. Our next cruise is scheduled for May 2012.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cigar, class, conquest, cruise, imagination, lines, lost, lounges, policy, rccl, restricts, revenue, smoking, sovereign, victory