Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Carnival Elation Review (6-2011) (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/37124-carnival-elation-review-6-2011-a.html)

Wheels87 06-19-2011 10:57 AM

Carnival Elation Review (6-2011)

Hey Gang,

Below, I have pasted a link to one of my dropbox folders for you to view some of my pictures. I am using this same folder for family members and such, so please excuse all of the pictures of my children, if you would like, and just focus on the ship/ports.

I will complete the review soon...I just wanted to get the pics out there now.

Enjoy,

Brad

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pagajxkv7vyac7c

penny3333 06-20-2011 10:57 AM

Thank you so much for sharing! What a beautiful family. I know you're proud, even though out numbered:) Did you daughter like the chocolate melting cake? How was the behind the scenes tour? The water slide looked great, did you try it? How was the snorkeling at Xel-ha? I loved it there when I went, it was so beautiful. The ladies looked so beautiful on formal night, and dad looked very handsome! Was it great doing a b2b? What was your favorite port?

Sandy 06-20-2011 02:13 PM

Brad, it looks like you had the best time! You are a beautiful family, too. I love the way everyone loves being in the water.

Thanks for posting the photos. I feel like I've just been on a cruise, too!

Wheels87 06-20-2011 04:45 PM

Wow, thank you both so much for the complements. Yes, I do sometimes feel outnumbered, but, my daughters are great and pretty much enjoy the same things (music, activities, etc) that I do. They love 70's and 80's music and don't care a whole lot about today's popular music. They even love Sinatra and jazz as well.

My little eight year-old absolutely loved the chocolate melting cake and got it for every dessert in the dining room. Out of the nine nights, I think I had it for six or so. I actually had the two of you in mind when I took that picture, knowing that I would be posting it here.

The snorkeling at Xelha was awesome! We are considering taking a trip to Cancun just so we can go spend a few days there. The natural lazy river that starts out under the mangrove trees is truly a sight to see and we also enjoyed the zip lines and cliff jumping as well (unfortunately we didn't have our camera with us for that).

The back-to-back was great as well. It was so wonderful on the first leg (the four night cruise) knowing that we still had a whole different five night trip coming up. I think we will try that again soon. It was great to bypass the hoards of people in the customs line, only to get right back on the ship. We then had the whole pool/waterslide to ourselves for about 1.5 hours. Just amazing. My eight year-old would routinely spend over six hours in the pool on the sea days. We had to drag her out to go to the restroom and eat lunch.

I am going to post a review soon, but with Father's Day and all, and starting back to work today, I have been rather busy.

My family had such a great time on the Elation that I don't know what they will think of the Freedom of the Seas in November. I hope it lives up to the hype for them.

Thank you and God bless you,

Brad

penny3333 06-21-2011 06:30 AM

If they loved the Elation, I think they'll flip over the Freedom. The only problem I can foresee is when they have to debark after one leg:) I'm so happy your daughter liked the chocolate melting cake, and I thank you for taking the picture. Like Sandy said, it was almost as if we were there.

I'm so glad to hear Xel-ha was still good snorkeling. I absolutely loved it and did not want to leave. We did a half day Tulum, then a half day at Xel-ha. I would have loved spending the whole day at Xel-ha. I did enjoy the ruins, and the setting was fabulous, but Xel-ha was so amazing. I've heard XCaret is better, but cannot imagine that it could top Xel-ha.

What itinerary are you taking on the Freedom?

Wheels87 06-21-2011 07:21 PM

Penny,

Cococay, sea day, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, sea day, sea day.

I really like the idea of ending with two days at sea and St. Thomas and St. Maarten are two of my favorite islands!

Well, I just booked another cruise on the Elation for July 16th! After the nine days of cruising with our three daughters, my wife and I decided to get away for a quick five day trip. Man, we are so hooked!

Take care...the review will be coming soon.

Brad

Sandy 06-21-2011 08:55 PM

Cruising hooks people! Congrats on your upcoming cruises, and the romantic getaway you just booked. So much to look forward to!

penny3333 06-22-2011 08:16 AM

Those are great ports! Are you going to Trunk Bay? That has to be one of my top 5 spots in the Caribbean. The last time we went to St. Maarten, we did the TikiHut snorkel trip. The operators were fantastic. They didn't have a set time limit, which I really appreciated. They'd also take you back to the ship or drop you in town for shopping, then you could grab a ferry back to the ship.

I know you and your wife will really appreciate some alone time before November. I'm as hooked as you are, however, my pocketbook is too empty..dang it:)

Wheels87 06-22-2011 04:14 PM

Sandy...you know I was hooked six years ago after my very first cruise on the AOS.

Penny...I am not sure what we are going to do in St. Thomas yet. Of course, I always go to Trunk Bay with my wife, but I hadn't put too much thought into what we will do with the children there. Come to think of it, I guess we will go back there again for some great relaxation time. The last time we were in St. Maarten, we took a catamaran snorkel that was supposed to go to the French side, but due to weather, we had to go to Mullet Bay beach after the snorkel and it worked out great. It was a quaint little beach and we loved it.

I guess I had been so focused on our Elation cruise that I hadn't considered excursions for the Freedom.

I promise to post the review soon...I have been busy back at work this week and my family and I have also been spending all of our evenings together, so I haven't had time to do it.

Take care,

Brad

MCPayne 06-22-2011 06:36 PM

Hi Brad.

Sounds like you had a great time. I know you'll enjoy the Freedom (if you haven't been on it already) when the time comes, as I did when I cruised on it back in October of 2010. There was definitely a wow factor for me, as that is still the biggest ship that I have been on.

If you want to read it, my review of the Freedom is here.