Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
Default First cruise - carnival ecstasy july 28
The Bad
1. When we talked to employees at the casino, we joked it was run by the Russian mafia. Turns out, that might be true. Three of us experienced the same hustle; when you first start playing face up black jack, we were winning, then they change dealers and lost. Stay away.
2. Check in from parking to room took 2.5 hrs.
3. Food was very disappointing.
4. Too many kids.
5. Extra costs for almost EVERYTHING.

The Good
1. Excellent service.
2. Medical Center was outstanding.
3. Plenty of food.
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,875
Default
Thanks for your review. What was the highlight for you?

Did you get to the terminal for check-in at the recommended time? Was it just really crowded, or was there some delay in clearing the cruise before yours?

Last edited by Sandy; 08-10-2011 at 04:17 PM.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 140
Default
Sorry your cruise was not what you expected. We do not gamble so can't comment on that, but as for the too many kids, that is to be expected during the summer. Try cruising in the fall, it is very nice for that reason and it's not as hot. I do agree that the quality of food is not what it once was. I would rather see less food and better quality rather than quantity. Does anyone else agree? Maybe take away one or two selections in place of better quality, tasting food. As for check in time, we have checked in as little as 30 minutes to 3 hours, you just never know, but hey I am on vacation standing in line talking to people and just thinking about laying out on the deck drinking a nice cold drink. I just find it hard to complain at that point. I am just thankful I am one of fortunate one's in that line, right!

Don't give up on cruising because it is still the best value for your money IMO. Try another cruise line or go next year during the fall. You will love it!
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Dave's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 17,767
Default
I'm going to nominate Boneman for the "Great Attitude Award"!!! Your post made me feel good just by reading it!
__________________
Dave
Editor, CruiseReviews.com
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Posts: 11,612
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubs12 View Post
The Bad
1. When we talked to employees at the casino, we joked it was run by the Russian mafia. Turns out, that might be true. Three of us experienced the same hustle; when you first start playing face up black jack, we were winning, then they change dealers and lost. Stay away.
Welcome to CruiseReviews!

Congrats on your first cruise! I am pretty sure that the Casinos are ran by Carnival Corporation's Casino Division. Unlike the Gift Shops and the Spa which are ran by outside sources.

I am not an expert on how the Black Jack tables work as far as Dealer rotation. However, member Jim C. most likely is. He is on a cruise right now, but I'm sure he'll comment upon his return.

The Casinos are not under Government Jurisdiction for regulation. However as a member of Cruise Lines International Association they have to adhere to the Gaming Guidelines which can be found HERE.

Welcome Aboard,
Dwayne
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2011, 05:42 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
Thanks for your review. What was the highlight for you?

Did you get to the terminal for check-in at the recommended time? Was it just really crowded, or was there some delay in clearing the cruise before yours?
Yes, we got to check-in at 12:45. 12:30 was check in time. I don't recall any official delay.
The highlight was when we sailed through Tropical Storm Don. We saw it from our balcony. Very exciting.
I'm a seasoned gambler. I know scams in the gambling world when I see it. If y'all sense a bad attitude from my post about my cruise, it's mostly from my casino experience on the Ecstasy.
I had a bad muscle spasm in my lower back during our cruise. The medical center put me on an IV with valium and shots. Doctor and nurses were excellent.
My wife, I, and our friends still want very much want to go on another cruise. We are thinking of the Carnival Magic next year.
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2011, 11:01 AM
penny3333's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 10,601
Default
Scrubs12, thank you for your review. I'm glad to see that it wasn't too bad and you're going to try the Magic next year. As others have said, try going when school is in session, you'll run into less children that way.

Sorry things didn't go great, but I'm glad you did enjoy it enough. Did you try the chocolate melting cake? I sure hope you liked that, it's my favorite

Hope your Magic cruise will be magical!
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2011, 05:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Posts: 11,612
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubs12 View Post
I'm a seasoned gambler. I know scams in the gambling world when I see it. If y'all sense a bad attitude from my post about my cruise, it's mostly from my casino experience on the Ecstasy.
I for one don't sense a bad attitude at all. You are just saying what happened. That is a good thing. I had a problem in the Casino on the Celebration several years ago. Was playing the $1 Wheel of Fortune. I had $243 in credits and all of the sudden they disappeared after a spin. I complained and was treated like a liar. Thank goodness I had witnesses who also saw it happen. As a Seasoned Slot Player I knew it was wrong. So the upper Casino Management comes to the machine and feeds me a line of bull about it.

My witnesses are telling them that I had the credits with the last spin. I tell them to run the report on the machine if they don't believe us. They then say it only has a report of Credits in. This was a total lie and I knew it as the machines can report all play. Once I told them them I knew the machine could run all reports, they changed their tune and gave me the $240 back. It could have been a machine malfunction. I dunno, it was an old machine.

Just saying strange things have happened to me too in Casino once a long time ago.

Dwayne
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2011, 06:07 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
I for one don't sense a bad attitude at all. You are just saying what happened. That is a good thing. I had a problem in the Casino on the Celebration several years ago. Was playing the $1 Wheel of Fortune. I had $243 in credits and all of the sudden they disappeared after a spin. I complained and was treated like a liar. Thank goodness I had witnesses who also saw it happen. As a Seasoned Slot Player I knew it was wrong. So the upper Casino Management comes to the machine and feeds me a line of bull about it.

My witnesses are telling them that I had the credits with the last spin. I tell them to run the report on the machine if they don't believe us. They then say it only has a report of Credits in. This was a total lie and I knew it as the machines can report all play. Once I told them them I knew the machine could run all reports, they changed their tune and gave me the $240 back. It could have been a machine malfunction. I dunno, it was an old machine.

Just saying strange things have happened to me too in Casino once a long time ago.

Dwayne

I read a book on gambling several years ago and it said to avoid casinos at service stations (like in Louisiana) and cruise ships. Now I remember why. But it only cost me 60 bucks to find this out. This won't deter me from Cruising however, I just won't gamble on board anymore.
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Dave's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 17,767
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubs12 View Post
This won't deter me from Cruising however, I just won't gamble on board anymore.
A wise decision.
__________________
Dave
Editor, CruiseReviews.com
 
Closed Thread

Tags
17, carnival, casino, corp, cruise, division, ecstasy, ectasy, employees, escatsy, forum, gambling, hires, nov, seniors

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carnival Elation Virtual Cruise, July 10-17! Dave Carnival Cruise Line 11 07-22-2010 06:06 PM
Carnival Cruise ---> June 26th - July 3rd 2009 Greg (SENIOR 09) General Cruise Chat 1 03-03-2009 04:38 PM
July 10th on Ecstasy....yea!!! but I have a quuestion too... Bell Carnival Cruise Line 8 06-30-2006 08:55 AM
First Cruise - Ecstasy July 1 san614 Carnival Cruise Line 9 06-04-2006 05:57 AM
Anyone on Carnival Victory from I think it was July 12th till July 19th- Eastern Carribean mimi Carnival Cruise Line 2 02-04-2005 04:41 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
 

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:02 AM.

Contact Us - Terms of Use - Cruise Reviews Home - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2