Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Default Carnival Fascination Questions?
Hello, has anyone here been on the Carnival Fascination since its last drydock?

It is the first ship I was ever on, and I am rather sentimental, so I would like to see it after its re-build. I sailed in 2004 and 2005 when it was based in Miami, and in its original Fantasy Class Configuration.

My questions are how is the ship now in its new configuration? I sailed on the Carnival Imagination 1 year after its Evolutions of Fun upgrade and looked quite new at the time.

I am thinking about a Monday departure to Key West and Nassau.

Thanks for your help
Old 09-08-2011, 08:46 PM

Smile
Sorry, I haven't been on since the last Dry Dock. I have seen the ship though, and she looks brand spanking new from the outside. The renovations that were done were pretty much in line with what was done with the Fantasy. With the exception of the balcony conversions. A few cosmetic enhancements may also differ.

Before the Dry Dock the Fascination was looking a little sad when docked beside the Fantasy (which is 4 years older). She is all spanking new looking again! I go on the Fantasy pretty often, and one comment is always common. "This looks like a new ship". Love the new Mongolian Wok!

The Lido pool area will be dramatically changed from your last cruise. Also notice the steps at the pool and snack bars are gone. They replaced them with spiral stairs mid deck.

Dwayne
Old 09-13-2011, 01:27 AM

I wish I had a better video to share. If it is like the Fantasy they would have also extended the roof over the Lido bars and added tables with stools. They must have as I see thatch in the video. I am not certain if they replaced the tiles that kept falling out in the cabin bathrooms or not with the fiberglass units. Though I think they did. The ship's funnel was actually pink in color from sun fade instead of red before they did all this.

There is an Official Video from Carnival about the transformation. I will try to find it and post it for you.

Dwayne
Old 09-13-2011, 01:53 AM

I found it!

Here is a little Carnival Trivia. The reason the names on the ships had to be changed during the Dry Docks is because Carnival changed their legal names. They all start with Carnival now. They used to be just Fantasy, Fascination, Valor etc. The only ship in the fleet at the time that didn't have her legal name changed was the MS Holiday. That is how I knew (or thought) she was going to go Bye Bye from the Carnival brand fleet.

Dwayne
Old 09-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the videos Dwayne.

I just booked an ocean view room on Empress Deck for Dec 5.

One final question. What deck do they use for embarkation in Jacksonville? It seems to be a small terminal with no air bridge.

The Fantasy Class is designed to use the lobby on Empress Deck for embarkation/debarkation - if the port can handle it.

When I sailed on the Elation in San Diego, they had to use the boarding hatches on Riviera Deck by the mid-ship elevators. If they are using Deck 0 or Riviera Deck, I might just change my room to Riviera.

Last edited by PC GUY; 09-17-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Administrator

You board on deck 1. Here is a photo of the Fascination leaving Jax where you can see the entryway on the pier.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:35 PM

Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC GUY View Post
Thanks for the videos Dwayne.

I just booked an ocean view room on Empress Deck for Dec 5.

One final question. What deck do they use for embarkation in Jacksonville? It seems to be a small terminal with no air bridge.

The Fantasy Class is designed to use the lobby on Empress Deck for embarkation/debarkation - if the port can handle it.

When I sailed on the Elation in San Diego, they had to use the boarding hatches on Riviera Deck by the mid-ship elevators. If they are using Deck 0 or Riviera Deck, I might just change my room to Riviera.
The last time I was on the Fascination was 2009. I am thinking it was Deck 3 Forward. One Deck under Riviera. Where the Medical Center is located. I can't say with 100% certainty though. That's where they were also boarding on the Fantasy in Charleston until this spring. They now have an Air Bridge in Charleston with wheels on it there to allow boarding on Empress. I don't know if Carnival bought that, or the Ports Authority. It sure makes it easier though.

Personally, I wouldn't change my cabin. Empress is a great location. I always try to get Mid Ship Empress because for me it is so convenient getting around the ship.

Dwayne
Old 09-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Thanks Dave and Dwayne. I know it is a little confusing - Carnival uses different naming conventions for various classes of ships in the fleet.I know you are trying to say it is the deck below Riviera where the Medical Center is on, and the same deck used for ports of call and tender boats.

I have a room with 2 upper berths on Empress Deck just by the aft elevators. I will keep it. I will have 2 children in strollers, so being able to "roll on, roll off" with no elevators during embarkation and debarkation would have been nice, but not a big deal.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:50 PM

Smile
I know. I realize that is a temporary Port Terminal, but if Charleston can get a mobile Air Bridge - JaxPort should have done so as well by now. Who know's maybe they will. As that sure would have been easier for you if the cabins were ready when you boarded. I also would look to see if Embarkation area elevators are working. I have seen them working on some cruises from the Deck 3 Gangway. There would be a line though, and may be reserved for special needs.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
2011, carnival, cruise, dock, docks, dry, fantasy, fascination, fascinations, forum, review, reviews, sept, september, triumph