Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseDad View Post
I got the message and was glad to have it as we have been putting off linking our booking with some friends, making hotel reservations etc. So it pushed us to get things done.

We also decided to stay a couple extra days in Charleston SC to see the city. Any good suggestions? I'll look in the ports section and maybe post a query there also. We were thinking of a city and plantation tour and also Ft Sumter.
Charleston has a nice visitors website here
Old 09-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith & Rita View Post
We were the only ones in the Drum and Rita could not believe a crew of 70+ lived on this ship!
It is truly a claustrophobic's nightmare. I couldn't have handled it and am glad I served on nice, big surface ships in my Navy life. I was ready to leave the Drum about a minute after I boarded. Those guys who served on the old diesel boats were a rare breed. Even a nuclear submarine, which are 3 to 4 times the size of the Drum are too small for me.

Did you enjoy the Elation cruise? We had a fun time last year.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:35 PM

Dwayne,

To respond to your question...Yes, I did get my survey and promptly filled it out and submitted it. I took great pleasure in telling them what a wonderful ship the Elation is and how great the crew was!

Take care,

Brad

Old 09-30-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels87 View Post
Dwayne,

To respond to your question...Yes, I did get my survey and promptly filled it out and submitted it. I took great pleasure in telling them what a wonderful ship the Elation is and how great the crew was!

Take care,

Brad
Thanks. The key word about the surveys is promptly as they have a specific time frame to fill them out. I think it is 2 weeks. I always thought the Elation had a wonderful crew as well. Met my favorite bartender on the Elation. I was happy he transferred to the Fantasy.

Dwayne
Old 09-30-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseDad View Post
We also decided to stay a couple extra days in Charleston SC to see the city. Any good suggestions? I'll look in the ports section and maybe post a query there also. We were thinking of a city and plantation tour and also Ft Sumter.
I would suggest the Magnolia Plantation and Gardens tour. Information can be found in the link Cruise Fanatic provided. If you have a car while down there Patriot's Point is nice too if you like war ships. I do. There is also a get on and off and back on trolley that goes around I believe. I can also recommend Fleet Landing restaurant it is in the old Naval building directly beside where the Fantasy docks. The building itself has historical value as it was built by the Navy in the 1940's. It was built to withstand hurricanes, and it has. Here is a link.

Tell the Daughter I will see her on the Halloween cruise if she is on this time.

Dwayne
Old 09-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Did you enjoy the Elation cruise? We had a fun time last year.
A quick review of our Carnival Elation cruise, Sept 10, 2011 - 5 day Western Caribbean - Progreso and Cozumel

The cruise before ours had bad weather from the remnants of tropical storm Lee and lost 1 day as the cruise before them had to delay returning to the port of Mobile, AL because of unsafe conditions. We were told the Gulf was still rough for this cruise and many folks were seasick.
Our weather was perfect! We left the house at 5:00 AM the day before the cruise and 10 hours later and only one Cracker Barrel, we arrived at the Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel on Water Street in Mobile, AL, across the street from the cruise terminal. They upgraded us to a room with a view and when we woke up the next morning we watched the Elation dock. Our one night stay included free covered parking and shuttle service to and from the ship. Also at the port was the Carnival Ecstasy in dry-dock receiving some upgrades.

We took the 10:45 shuttle to the port and after waiting in line approx 45 minutes we made it aboard ship. We usually try to avoid the early shuttles so we can avoid the long lines. Oh well, we were on the ship before noon! Our stateroom E42 on the Emerald deck port side forward was not going to be available until 1:30 so we took a tour of the ship and then headed to Tiffany's buffet for lunch.

We won't bore you with all the details except to say it was a wonderful cruise! The food in the dining room was outstanding, as was the service through out the ship.The entertainment was good and we even were able to do some dancing. Rita's foot injury is finally getting better. Our stateroom steward did an adequate job, although he was very forgetful.

The ports of Progreso and Cozumel were good as the weather was great. No tours for us as we went to relax, which we certainly did. We also did some line dancing at an outdoor bar in Progreso.

The only negative was the disembarkation which was excessively slow! It seems the immigration officers were more thorough than usual. It didn't help that many of the folks hadn't filled out their forms!

After we finally made it thru we found our hotel shuttle and headed back to our hotel and picked up our car. We then headed to the USS Alabama Memorial Park and took a tour of the USS Drum submarine and the battleship. I'm a WWII history buff and we both thoroughly enjoyed the tours.

After spending the night in Cullman, AL we made it home the next day around 2:00 PM. This made for a very fast and relaxing vacation week with some great memories.

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Cullman is all excited now that have voted to go wet and will finally be able to legally serve beer at their Oktoberfest. I think it was the only dry Oktoberfest in the world.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
I would suggest the Magnolia Plantation and Gardens tour. Information can be found in the link Cruise Fanatic provided. If you have a car while down there Patriot's Point is nice too if you like war ships. I do. There is also a get on and off and back on trolley that goes around I believe. I can also recommend Fleet Landing restaurant it is in the old Naval building directly beside where the Fantasy docks. The building itself has historical value as it was built by the Navy in the 1940's. It was built to withstand hurricanes, and it has. Here is a link.

Tell the Daughter I will see her on the Halloween cruise if she is on this time.

Dwayne
Thanks Dwayne, Good suggestions especially on Fleet Landing. We have trouble picking good restaurants. Daughter will be on a short break over halloween, you will miss her again. But say hi to her husband the Entertainment manager. His name is Scott. Looks a bit like Michael J Fox.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:09 AM
Quote:
We won't bore you with all the details except to say it was a wonderful cruise!
Please bore us with th details. That's what so many of us live for.

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 10-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
It is truly a claustrophobic's nightmare.
Submariners certainly are a breed apart.

When I was in my 3rd year of university, one of my classmates served as an officer in the Canadian Navy, aboard one of the now decommissioned Oberon Class Submarines. One of his favorite sayings was that the heads (bathrooms) were so small you had to "step outside to change your mind"

Closed Thread

Tags
2011, al, carnival, cruise, cruises, delay, documents, email, information, lee, line, mobile, norwegian, problems, upcoming