Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Default VIP Embarkation
This will be my first VIP embarkation and I am really looking forward to the experience. I will be traveling with 2 other couples, our bookings are linked with Carnival. Does anyone know if they can come through the VIP embarkation with my wife and I or will they split us when we show up at the cruise terminal in Charleston together?

Old 10-26-2011, 10:44 AM
More than likely split up.

I have traveled with my mother, she was in a separate cabin. They always let her check in with me in the VIP lounge, when anyone else is going they have to check in in the regular area.

They told me I could only bring one other cabin through VIP.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 10-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseDad View Post
This will be my first VIP embarkation and I am really looking forward to the experience. I will be traveling with 2 other couples, our bookings are linked with Carnival. Does anyone know if they can come through the VIP embarkation with my wife and I or will they split us when we show up at the cruise terminal in Charleston together?

I have done that on my last and will be doing it again on my next cruise. My parents-in-law will be coming with us.

Not just the booking, but the Onboard expense account (Sail and Sign) has to be linked to your credit card as well. I have been able to add 2 other cabins to my Sail and Sign, and they had to check in with me.

When you set up your Sail and Sign account, there is a link "Include Guests From Another Booking". When you add them, they will be automatically added to your sail and sign account. Then once onboard you can change it if you wish (same credit card but different accounts).

This works well for us because we are coming from Canada, and I have US$ denominated credit card, and have a US$ chequing account. I can buy US money when the time is right, then settle the bill in one currency without having to worry about currency conversions or a 2.5% mark up when they charge to a Canadian$ credit card

Last edited by PC GUY; 10-26-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks, That's all very interesting especially since our linked friends are Canadian. But we will probably not link our CC and just meet them on board.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:34 AM
What port are you leaving from? If they were in the same cabin. yes they could, now if you are leaving out of Tampa that has a horriible terminal you can sit with them and when they call the VIP's to board they can if you ask like we did the last cruise.. Miami. You are seperated from the minute go and there is no chance.. Lucky that you are VIP before the program changes.. When are you going?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-27-2011, 08:47 AM

Technically, they will only let those that have a VIP logo on there boarding pass go into the VIP boarding area. They only way for them to get a VIP logo would be to be Platinum or be booked in a suite category cabin. The only OTHER way to be VIP is to be linked to the VIP sign and sail account for payment.

Sometimes they will let a non VIP person sailing with a VIP booking go through the VIP check but not often. The reason is that if they are not VIP, their sign and sail cards will NOT be in the VIP check in area and the VIP check in agent would ahve to go out to the general boarding area to collect their cards and it slows down everyone in the VIP line. However, some ports print out the S&S cards at the checking counter. If that is the case, then the above is a non issue and they are more likely to just let them go into the VIP area with you. Miami is one of the ports that can print the cards out. But in ports where they don't print them then its less likely you can go together. Ask when you get there but don't be upset if you are told "no".. the agent is just doing their job.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-27-2011, 09:43 AM

Tim, is there going to be changes to the VIP program and if so what are they?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:34 AM
We are going out of Charleston so I think it unlikely that they print cards a the counter. Still a very new port for this stuff. I've been thru before and I think they separate from the first door into the terminal. So our friends will probably go through the regular line. It was pretty quick last time. I waited longer to park the car then to sign on the ship as I recall.

We plan to have lunch with the kids in Charleston and then board later than normal this time. So we can just send the others along early and meet them on board.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:05 PM
According to what I have seen They are making platnium harder to get to(which they should). To get tp platnium you will have to have 75 points which means been on a Carnival ship 75 days or more.. Nov 4th will be the BIG announcement.. 1-25 have blue cards 26-74 gold and 75+ platnium.. To many people taking 10 3-day cruises and getting there faster than like us we have taken SEVERAL 7-day ones.. I agree with the change and I dont know when it goes into effect..

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-28-2011, 07:14 AM

Tim they never said they were going to implement that system. The information you posted came from a survey the marketing folks sent out asking for opinions on that days of cruising instead of # of cruises being the deciding factor on VIP status. So nothing official has been said yet on that front. (And it is long overdue as John Heald has been dangling the carrot of changes to the VIP program over his blog for years now)

Also they made some statement about grandfathering in people, but I ma sure there are a lot of people that 1 or 3 short cruises away from the current platinum status point that will loose out IF they decide to go to the number of days system, but that is up to Carnival.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
boarding, carnival, cruise, line, lines, long, norwegian, parents, pass, port, review, status, traveling, vip, waiting