Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Administrator

It is a personal thing of course, but to my tastes Royal Caribbean's food is not any better than Carnival or NCL serves. I actually find Carnival to have the edge, especially in the main dining room. They have all made cuts in their food costs, as well as having fewer crew members covering more tables and staterooms.

Royal Caribbean has prettier ships, and at least on the larger ships they also have high-end shows. When you can see a true Broadway musical on a ship, as on Oasis and Allure, there isn't much Carnival can do presently to top that.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:21 PM

Wow, I did not know that Royal had Broadway shows. That is impressive! All I ask for in a cruise is to have clean, nice surroundings and for equipment to work (don't want tile falling off and air not working). The food just has to be edible, which on this last cruise, the Mexican buffet and my beef straganof were not edible, but there are always other choices, so really the food is not even that big of deal to me. Most of all I want the staff waiting on me to be pleasant and NEVER rude. I don't think that is too much to ask for. I work too hard for my money so when I spend it on a vacation, I want it to be nice. Also, I know this is not Carnival's fault in any way, but the guests on this ship were also some of the rudest I have ever been around. Maybe it was because the ship was just not a good one and that in turn caused the guests to be grumpy too, but I never experienced this when sailing from Alabama.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:07 PM

I have done all of my cruising on Carnival. We have never experience rudeness by an employee on carnival altho I am sure it happens. Carnival has certainly cut back on staff, and it was evident on my last cruise. No ones fook arrived at the sametime at our table, it seemed to arrive in shift, my sister and I got our food, 5 mins later the other some of the other people would get their food, it was not smooth at all. and we had assigned dining. it was a bit uncomfortable to be eating and the rest of the table had not gotten their food.
Our stateroom never got made up until late in the afternoon. I am not complaining, just telling how it is.
I dont really understand people complaining about a ships decor, it would not make or break my cruising experience.
I love cruising, would do it monthly if I could afford too, so dont think I am complaining, its just the way things seem to be going now adays.
But no matter how things end up, it is NEVER EVER an excuse for an employee to be rude. I can pretty much get over the other things but rudeness I dont forget!
Old 11-23-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmom111 View Post
I dont really understand people complaining about a ships decor, it would not make or break my cruising experience.
Here is the way I see it about decor. I work my tail off keeping the place I live in tip top shape because I like cleanliness and I am a very visual person so I want everything to look good as well. I don't want to spend my vacations in a place that is not at least as good as where I live and would really like for it to be better because I want a week of luxury not just the same everyday life and I especially don't want it to be worse. While I understand that might not be important to one person, it is very important to me. I found that looking at rusty places on the balcony, tile falling off from around the hot tub (and I am not talking one or two tiles, I am talking 25+) and filthy carpets was not only what I am not accustomed to living in, but I certainly don't want to look at that on my vacation. I like top notch hotel rooms and I like my ships that way too I guess, but to each their own. LOL!!

Of course, when you look outside of the ship at God's creation, then you see nothing but beauty and that is what I am ultimately going to look at.

Mrs. Boneman (want to make sure that everyone knows this isn't my husband writing this because he could care less about the decor as well!)
Old 11-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Administrator

I know most people hate the idea of getting someone in trouble, but in the instance you encountered I would have asked to see someone in bar management and let them know what happened. If the server acted that way to you, then he probably did it to others.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:01 PM

I need to make myself clean on decor, I am talking about the colors, they style, the shape of things inside the ship. Maintance is another thing all together.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmom111 View Post
I need to make myself clean on decor, I am talking about the colors, they style, the shape of things inside the ship. Maintance is another thing all together.
Totally agree! I could care less what theme it's done in. One of the comedian's that we saw one night made reference to all the wildness of the decor on Carnival ships. She referenced some room that was done in all clown faces and the proceeded to say she wanted the shrooms that they were doing when they came up with the design. LOL!!

Dave: I really thought about turning him in because it did upset me, but I just didn't want to take the time out of my day to go do it. We had already spent enough time complaining about the A/C.

I want to again say though that given the choice of going or not going on this trip given all the circumstances, I would definitely have gone. I enjoyed the ports, God's scenery, and relaxing. The comedy club nights were hilarious as well and I love to laugh!
Old 11-23-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I know most people hate the idea of getting someone in trouble, but in the instance you encountered I would have asked to see someone in bar management and let them know what happened. If the server acted that way to you, then he probably did it to others.
I totally agree with you! The Management may not be aware this type of rude behavior is going on. I'm sure CCL doesn't approve of it. You have people from third world countries that may be new. So they realize the more drinks they serve the higher their gratuity count is. Maybe some of them don't know that this is unacceptable behavior. The person that made the rude comment to me I didn't report right away. I probably should have. I just had so many crew friends on the ship I didn't want to cause a stink. The date, time, and incident were all noted in the Survey. Along with the person's name.

How else are they going to know? Maybe by reporting them they can get some additional training is my thinking. This has been a rare experience for me on Carnival to be spoken to rudely, it has happened though and can put a damper on your cruise.

Dwayne
Old 11-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Boneman and Mrs. Boneman, thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry that the cruise didn't live up to expectations, yet glad that you did have some good times while onboard. (The comedian's joke you referenced was hilarious!!!)

We've encountered rudeness twice, that I can recall. The most recent happened to be on Carnival...one of the photographers. I won't bother you all with the details. The short version is that after I declined, repeatedly, a hard sell of a photo album to go with a photograph I was buying, I was referred to as being cheap as I was turning down a bargain. Then--even worse, IMO--he turned to my husband and said, "Is she always like this?" Thankfully, there were other photographers on the ship, so I made my purchases through them from that point on. And, I also mentioned him by name in my comments.

The other time was on--believe it or not--Cunard. We were tag-teamed by our waiter and his assistant regarding the importance of tips. They interrupted our meal to do this well-rehearsed performance. This, too, went on the comment card.

Both were great cruises/crossings overall, and we didn't let these mar the trip (same as you). Still, it's hard to ignore it. Yet, how I loved our Carnival cruise from Mobile. We met such wonderful people, and have kept in touch with several of them.

Thanks again for your comments.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaP View Post
Yet, how I loved our Carnival cruise from Mobile. We met such wonderful people, and have kept in touch with several of them.

Thanks again for your comments.
Lisa, we too enjoyed our cruises from Mobile most of all. Very good cruises. I wish they had not closed that port. I too want to say that the waiter being rude did not ruin the trip as much as lack of air conditioning in our cabin and Carnival's lack of interest in fixing it. It was just hard to enjoy the cruise when you are hot all the time and the incredibly long buffet lines. There were a lot of folks on the ship that were rude, including a lot passengers, but I think that is just the times we are living in. I notice more and more rudeness at the grocery store, etc. People are stressed I guess as these are tough times we are living in. I am just very thankful that I can afford to go on a cruise as I know a lot of people cannot. I definitely will be cruising again next year, it just will not be on Carnival (although the Dream looks really good and I am halfway to obtaining VIP status LOL!). Oh well, I will just start over with another line, hopefully one of them will have something similar.

Closed Thread

Tags
2011, back, bb, carnival, code, complaints, conquest, cruise, employment, forum, line, lines, negitive, on, photos, reviews, ship, status, vip