Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 02:32 PM

Default What time to book returning flight from Barcelona
I am planning an European cruise on the New Carnival Breeze round trip from Barcelona. All the returning flights from Barcelona to JFK are around 10-1020am. Will there be enough time to disembark, get my luggage & get to the airport in time?
Old 12-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Administrator

For Barcelona, Carnival lists 9am as the earliest departure flight time so I'd say you are okay with 10am. I would help things along by arranging for a Carnival transfer from the ship to the airport. Read more about it here.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:34 PM
There are also flights returning to JFK at 11:45, 19:45 & 20:00 but they are not non-stop
Departing from JFK with Delta at 19:35 seems to be non -stop.

Obviously it depends on your cruise dates but there does seem to be some flexibility with plane departure times.
I guess it will all come down to cost.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruisereviews.com!

Looking at my journal from our April 2010 cruise to/from Barcelona on another cruise line, I see that we disembarked our ship at 8:00 am and arrived at the airport at 8:30 am by taxi. The cost of the taxi was the equivalent of US$50 (40 Euro), so it comes out roughly even with the Carnival transfers if there are just two of you. So, it would have been doable for us, yet, there are some important considerations. First, we were on a ship that held fewer passengers, we were the only ship in port that day, and we had VIP disembarkation as we had sailed in a suite. We also lucked out with no traffic delays.

I'd be somewhat hesitant to cut it this close. We had a 1:30 flight to Heathrow, where we connected to a flight back to the States, and it wasn't so bad. But, as Dave noted, Carnival will transfer you if your flight is later than 9:00 am. No matter what you decide, be sure that you purchase travel insurance that covers you should you be delayed in getting to your flight.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:56 PM
m1975a....Taxis out of the cruise terminal in Barcelona are very efficient and well operated. The airport is not too long a drive and the fares in Barcelona are quite reasonable...tipping is similarly much less than anywhere else in Europe!! There are plenty of flights out of Barcelona...it is an extermely large facility offering a lot of possibilities. Unfortunately...You have a very small window and if You disembark less than 2 hours before Your flight time.....You are looking for problems. For Ourselves ..We would opt for a flight leaving after 12noon!

Bon voyage, BillyBuzzy
Old 01-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Administrator

I see from the itinerary that the ship is scheduled to arrive in Barcelona at 5am. If that happens it certainly makes things easier for those before noon flight times.

Lots of good posts in this thread. Frankly, if I were doing this cruise I'd spend a couple days in Barcelona and then fly home!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Frankly, if I were doing this cruise I'd spend a couple days in Barcelona and then fly home!
We completely agree with Dave.....Barcelona is a fantastic city with many great things worth doing. In October of 2011 We spent 5 days pre-cruise and 3 days post cruise and still had dozens of activities left to do.Barcelona is an unusually visitor friendly city and is well worth a holiday by itself!!

BillyBuzzy

Tags
airport, barcelona, carnival, catch, cruise, departure, disembark, eaelyest, earliest, flight, fly, long, planning, return, returning, time