Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Carnival Destiny To Become Carnival Sunshine In Major Rebuild (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/37932-carnival-destiny-become-carnival-sunshine-major-rebuild.html)

Dave 03-06-2012 10:59 AM

Carnival Destiny To Become Carnival Sunshine In Major Rebuild

This is a significant project and big news. Carnival Destiny will be essentially rebuilt into a new cruise ship featuring all the Funship 2.0 upgrades, and more. And so as a 'new' ship it will have a new name, becoming the Carnival Sunshine when the rebuild is completed in 2013.

Press Release

tim c 03-12-2012 03:31 AM

I hate the name!!!

Dave 03-12-2012 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim c (Post 292893)
I hate the name!!!

I'm not crazy about it either.

"...you are my sunshine, my only sunshine..." I wonder how many times per day people will hear that on their cruise?

billybuzzy 03-12-2012 04:29 PM

Better "Sunshine" than "Moonshine" :)

BillyBuzzy

Dave 03-12-2012 04:54 PM

I'll drink to that!

Cruise Fanatic 03-12-2012 05:39 PM

Well, How about the NCL Breakaway.

Dave 03-12-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruise Fanatic (Post 292907)
Well, How about the NCL Breakaway.

That one is especially egregious given they held a contest for the new name - for their "Project Breakaway" ships. "Hey, we are coming out with a new breakfast cereal that is made of corn flakes, what should we call it? Oh, great idea! What insight! What creativity! We'll call it corn flakes."

PC GUY 03-24-2012 05:17 PM

It looks like they are doing some major structural modifications to the ship - a mid life refit.

They are going to add the extra quarter deck that the Triumph and Victory have. The aft lounge is gone, and replaced with balcony cabins. The main lounge will only be 2 decks instead of the current 3. The main floor where the stage is will be moved up one deck, and the old main floor will now have cabins in its place.

I am very interested in one of the 9 day European Cruises.

Names notwithstanding, is it not considered bad luck to rename a ship? I have heard of a few cases where ships were renamed, and then had something unlucky happen.

Dave 03-24-2012 05:40 PM

Google the name 'Sally Albatross' and see one example.

CruiseDad 03-30-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PC GUY (Post 293013)
It looks like they are doing some major structural modifications to the ship - a mid life refit.

They are going to add the extra quarter deck that the Triumph and Victory have. The aft lounge is gone, and replaced with balcony cabins. The main lounge will only be 2 decks instead of the current 3. The main floor where the stage is will be moved up one deck, and the old main floor will now have cabins in its place.

I am very interested in one of the 9 day European Cruises.

Names notwithstanding, is it not considered bad luck to rename a ship? I have heard of a few cases where ships were renamed, and then had something unlucky happen.

My daughter said rumers had been flying that the main lounge was to be removed completely. I'm glad to see not completely. But with the aft lounge gone and the main lounge smaller this must be signaling the end of the big production shows that I like so much. Too bad. If it is sailing out of New Orleans Carnival had a great show "Big Easy" that can probably not be done without major reduction in the WOW factor.
I will probably not sail on the Sunshine