Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 PM

Default Something differnet in Cozumel
We are thinking of cruising on Carnival Elation out of New Orleans in January. We have done the same cruise out of Mobile. We had a great time shopping and hanging out at the beach in Progresso. We liked this stop a lot more than I thought we would. We have been to Cozumel several times and have always gone to Paradise Beach. We love Paradise Beach but we would like to see what else is out there. Any suggestions? We would love a beautiful beach, but not too peaceful. We like a little excitement.

Carnival Elation 1/13
Carnival Conquest 3/12
Carnival Elation 8/11
Carnival Victory 9/10
Carnival Conquest 5/09
Carnival conquest 5/08
Old 04-16-2012, 05:02 PM
gocruz...Rent Yourselves a Smart Convertible or a Scoot Coupe from Specialty Cars on the pier and drive around to the other side of Cozumel...there are some mighty nice (and remote beaches) and some great Beach Cantinas with Mariachi Bands (no charge to use the beach as long as you are having cocktails and munchies) ...You can't get lost if you stick to the main road and keep the sea on your right hand side!! Eventually you will also get to see the San Gervasio Mayan ruins(for a Fee). Returning you will also get to pass thru San Miguel for shopping!
A fun way to explore the entire island and easily done in 4-5 hours. Car rental is roughly $80 US with full insurance.

Bon Voyage!!

BillyBuzzy

Last edited by billybuzzy; 04-16-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 AM

We rented a scooter once and went around the island, it was a ball. Just remember the traffic gets heavy in the afternoon when you're trying to get back to the ship, so leave yourself plenty of time. Also, I'd take out their insurance, just to make sure you don't have an "accident". The Money Bar is a nice beach, too, it's on the north end towards town. We really love Chankanaab because the snorkeling is good. However, the scooter was a blast!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:44 PM
gocruz.....My recent Email to Specialty Cars on the pier in Cozumel has been returned by the email bot as undeliverable. There still seem to be a large number of rental agencies on Cozumel...I will continue to inquire....perhaps one of our members has been in Cozumel recently and can update us!!! My next stop in Cozumel will be in Dec. 2012.
Penny's scooter adventure is another great idea......Don't rely on your US insurance...You must have a Mexican Coverage rider....or(as We do) purchase it at time of rental!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 04-22-2012, 05:56 AM

Good Day!

I have been on that same Elation cruise out of Mobile three times since I live only 45 minutes from the terminal and have been to Paradise Beach as well. Even though it is a small ship, my family and I really had the time of our lives on it last summer. It was great to be able to get around the ship so easily and not have to worry about getting lost, especially with my three children on board with us. The crew on this ship was fantastic and we enjoyed getting to know them.

If you want excitement combined with a beach experience check out the Passion Island by Twister boat excursion. The beach at Passion Island has all of the same amenities as Paradise beach, however, getting there (and back) is half of the fun. This really fast speedboat takes you on a 30-minute ride to the Island and takes numerous opportunities to do 360 degree spins in which the passengers get a good blast of refreshing sea water! It is a bit on the pricey side, but still less than $100 per person (I think it was $79 last time I went). Then you get to spend about three hours on the beautiful beach as well.

Just a suggestion.

Have a great cruise!

Brad

Old 04-22-2012, 06:00 AM

I guess, in the interest of accuracy, I should correct myself and point out that the spins on the Twister boat are more like 270 degrees than 360! The bottom line is that it is truly exhilarating!

Brad

Old 04-23-2012, 08:02 AM

The twister is just not for me. It is really hard on the back and neck. we did it and I was so afraid I wouldnt be able to walk back to the car. I would watch it done before I would jump in with both feet.

Tags
2012, cabriolet, car, carnival, conquest, cozumel, gervasio, international, paradise, pier, port, rental, ruins, san, side, smart