Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 07:23 PM

Default Carnival Glory trip August 11, 2012....Filthy ship
Just returned from 5 miserable nights on the Carnival Glory.
My son in law, daughter and grandson contracted the noro virus.

When we arrived at the terminal to embark the ship....we were handed a notice that indicated that the ship had just returned and there was an outbreak of the noro virus. we were delayed in the terminal so that they could 'clean the ship'....

When we opened the door to my daughter's cabin...the smell was gross!
We spoke to housekeeping and were told there were no alternate cabins because the ship was filled.....

Three members of my family contracted the virus...on different days....
It is not possible for any ship to be thoroughly sanitized. I make this statement because of what I witnessed with my own eyes. Disgusting as it may be to read the following, keep in mind...I was in the room observing this when it all occurred.

My grandson vomited in the queen size bed...due to the virus. We called the cabin steward to change the linens. He came into the room, stripped the linens, blanket and fabric mattress pad,( yes...fabric mattress pad) from the bed and then flipped the uncovered mattress....and proceeded to put 'fresh' linens on the flipped side. No vinyl covering was on this mattress..... Now the bed is remade on the flipped side of the mattress....so my point is that everytime someone vomits or urinates or whatever on a mattress, it is flipped....so now you're sleeping on the side that someone else vomited or urinated on.....

How can they ever clean a ship...completely, when they don't use vinyl coverings on their mattresses?....

We were thoroughly disgusted by this....and will be reporting it to the CDC as well as other authorities.....

Folks on the ship were not following any posted signs about not putting their used water bottles up to the spiket to refill at the buffet....they were not following the signs about not putting babies in diapers in the pool....so one day the pool was roped off and closed....guess why?
No one cares about the safety of the passengers on this ship.
the muster drill was a joke. No one counted the people for lifeboats, the staff did not require people to be quiet during the announcements....All the time I was thinking, 'what did I put my family in danger for".....
There was never a sign of an officer or a person in charge anywhere on the ship who was knowledgeable or even cared about the passengers.....
I could go on and on....it was disgraceful.....and those are just my comments about the hygiene and safety on the ship....
the food, lack of entertainment, lack of service, the stench throughout the ship, was an abomination.....

The trip felt more like a prison sentence in a third world country.....
and I couldn't wait to get my family and myself off this filthy, disgusting ship.
We have traveled all over, ocean cruises, river cruises etc...this was the worst.
Not only has it turned us off to Carnival....We are turned off to all cruising....

The head of Carnival should do 'Undercover Boss' and see first hand the product that he is representing....or better yet...he should let his family go on this ship and see how he would like it....

All this being said, I am grateful to the captain for getting us home alive!

Last edited by sand74; 08-18-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 AM

Interesting observations since less than 30 days ago (July 23rd), the ship scored a perfect 100 in an unannounced Canada Health inspection in Halifax.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Plus, the most recent CDC inspection (5/6/12) gave the ship a 94.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Administrator

I've read elsewhere that there was a breakout of norovirus on this cruise. However, it's important to note that a ship does not have norovirus -- people do. I know this trip was unpleasant, yet I wouldn't blame the cruise line.

That said, there are some things that cruise lines could do. I know that Carnival already does many of these, as I've seen them myself, such as providing tissues by the inside of the public restroom doors so that one does not have to directly touch the door handle when leaving. I can't comment on this next aspect as it pertains to Carnival as I simply don't recall it one way or the other -- yet, Holland America Line mandates that crew in the buffet serve food to passengers for the first 48 hours rather than having passengers take turns at the tongs. This minimizes the spread of any infection that pax may have brought onboard.

Regarding the mattress -- did the OP mention this to Housekeeping while onboard? It's possible the mattress was turned over (as it was likely to be soiled again) and then replaced for the next cruise?

Carnival closed the pool when the selfish passenger put his/her diapered kid in it. That's a sign that they take passenger safety seriously.

(Please don't get me started on pax behavior -- I'm in agreement when it comes to some -- major, major pet peeve.)
Old 08-21-2012, 05:16 AM
I do have to say that when I read these post when a cruise was horrible ect. It always seems like it is the very first post, why is that? If they have taken so many cruises and even River Cruises why post this one first ? Seems like it would be more valid if we heard from them before on other trips...am I thinking right? We also got the virus one time but despite it all we had a nice time and I felt so bad for the crew, boy did they have their work cut out for them. Of course someone brought it on board, where else did it come from!

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 08-21-2012, 07:44 AM
[excerpt] [quote=LisaP;..... I can't comment on this next aspect as it pertains to Carnival as I simply don't recall it one way or the other -- yet, Holland America Line mandates that crew in the buffet serve food to passengers for the first 48 hours rather than having passengers take turns at the tongs. This minimizes the spread of any infection that pax may have brought onboard......

My daughter works as a dancer with Carnival and if more than 3 people report to the infirmary with symptoms they start serving the buffet line, So probably the same as Holland America. It would not surprise me if that was mandated

Tags
11, 11th, 2012, august, carnival, cdc, cruise, embark, filled, forum, glory, pool, rating, reviews, ship, virus